Steelhead

I

IDhunter

Just wondering if any of you will be trying your hand at the steelhead this spring. I will be hitting the salmon river in a couple weeks. If any of you are doing the same, good luck to ya.

Count me in. Me and a few buds are headed to Challis at the end of March. Sounds like as good or better run than last year. What have you heard IDhunter?

I was just thinkin' about makin the same post!
I have caught two so far,One about 7lbs and a small one about 3lbs.
The storms have just broke here in Northern California and as soon as the rivers get back in shape,I am all over it!
I will be taking a trip to either the Eel river or the Mad next Wed.
Lets put up some pics here if we score!
GOOD LUCK GUYS!

Cowboy, I have heard it is already a better run than last year. I am hoping it is good, I am taking my 11 year old son for the first time. How is the terrain around challis, I want to find a place that I can take the whole family. The salmon where I have been fishing is not really a good spot for kids. Harry sound like you are getting a head start on some of us. I hope I can get a 7 pounder, I have only caught a almost 3 pounder so I am ready for something bigger.

Cowboy, from your name I was wondering if you do much packing with horses. I own more than my share of horses and have used one for my wife to ride so she can keep up, and to pull elk out with a few times. This year I am putting in for moose in unit 69 so I am going to try to train a few of them to pack. Any advice is welcome and appreciated. Thanks
IDhunter

IDhunter,

I recommend you buy a book called "Horses, Hitches and Rocky Trails" by Joe Back. It will set you back about 7 bucks, but its full of very good advice on horse packing.

The only advice I would add is use your horses a lot. Even if you are just packing hay bales, get them used to hauling stuff while you get used to using them. Having fun with horses is all about trust. There isnt any trust if you never work together with em. Have fun.

I've only been to Challis once (last spring), but river access is good. Get a public lands map and you'll find lots of access. Some of the property owners are happy to let you on to fish if you just ask. By all means take your family. I saw a few families fishing on the river bank. Theres a nice campground not far upstream from Challis if thats your thing.

Here is a picture of a steelie from last year. Not sure how much it weighed, but it was 34 inches long. Two friends and I caught a total of 15 fish in 2 days of fishing. Lots of fun.

2003+Steelie.JPG

it is both, a steelhead is a rainbow that migrates from the coast back to their spawning grounds.

My dad and i are heading to forks to fish those rivers the 3rd week in march. Cant wait!!! Good luck everyone

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom