steens deer

WBY

lots of deer, seen over 20 four points we took a nice 8 by 6 . oregon hunters are telling stories or need to learn how to hunt. we well be back.

a guy I work with was there for opening weekend, the weather was nasty, hail blowing sideways. They only seen a couple does.

people wonder why their "honey holes" or favorite places to hunt end up over crowded...you got the GPS cordinates also? LOL

congrats on the deer.

muleyman

As the famous saying goes " this post is worthless with out picks....

Don?t forget you got to draw it again...

Of course you did :)
How about some pictures of the deer and your camp?

----------------------------------------
Measure wealth by the things you have,, for which you would not take money.

we had 9 non res points so it will take some time to make it back. the deer will most likely be holding up someware else.

4ad5590528373e77.jpg

Maybe if you saw it years ago you'd know what people are talking about,it was better, not to mention you had the rarity of snow during the season....but nice buck, now, leave Oregon deer alone........LOL

I was over there in the Steens this year for '10 season hunting just behinde Lily Lake and we saw tons of deer NO BUCKS though saw only one good buck taken the whole time i was over there.

Drew the Steens tag in 09, lucky in that I only had 2 points going in.
Hunted just to the north of you, never saw anyone in there in 5 days of hard walking up and down those draws, did see some deer in there, including 2 small bucks,(2x2& 3x2) but was feeling greedy for something a little bigger, ended up eating tag soup but I will go back someday, have to save up some more points, great country to be in! (saw approx. 25 deer in 7 days)

Yeah we started our hunt on the little blitzen river, They had been cutting junipers in there like crazy!!!!!! We saw a handful of does in there and no bucks. I only had 3 pts when I drew this hunt. Wish I woulda drew my Malhuer instead, My buddy's dad shot a monster 4x5 and there was 4 other bucks all 3pts or better with him!!!!!! But I like Hunting Blacktail with my bow ore than anything, All in all the most beautiful country anywhere and I would put in for it again for sure.

I spend a lot of time down there in Nov Dec chuckar hunting and I see VERY few bucks, if you're not seeing them in the rut they don't exist. years ago there were deer everywhere and nice bucks were a common sight.

There are a few deer, there are a few average bucks like you got and a very few real nice bucks. that said I don't care if you're Daniel Boone anyone who says there are a lot of good bucks in the Steens is full of crap.

Steens

This is an old post why is it showing up again? I hunted the Steens in 2010 and only saw 9 deer in 4 days of hunting. I did see a 22 inch 4x4 and let him go, I couldn't help but feel i had done the Mule Deer world some good. I saw one other buck run in front of me could could not judge him that quick but he did look decent. Other than that nothing but a hand full of paranoid doe's. The #s just are not there, the habitat would support a decent size herd but with hunting, poaching, and predator's i don't know if it will ever be back. This should sum it up, i ran into a guy on the mountain from WA we stayed in touch and he hunted the entire season. When i say hunted i mean HUNTED! He only saw 2 bucks in 9 days a fork and a 20 inch 3x3 he kept a log and said he saw about 15 deer a day, he should of seen about 50 with the hunting he was doing. I saw and heard of about 5 little bucks that got killed right of the road, the Steens is hardly the unit where this should ever take place youth tag or not! I ran into a group of hunter's that had killed 3 twinks, and the Grandpa was complaining about the poor hunting, GO FIGURE. Why anyone would waste 4-5 points to go shoot a 2pt off the road i will never know.

hi,yea ,ilived in crane ,oregon, 74-76 there was some dudes
that flew helicopters over there and got most of them, maybe they will come back,who knows,good luck,.warner area and gearhart use to be good,. tom in reno,.

yea,ilived in alkilake one summer ,only deer i saw was behind hog back mountain,and one antelope,good luck,.

RE: Steens

It's the same story in all of Harney County. Malheur River, Silvies, Juniper, Steens Mountain, Wagontire, Whitehorse, Beaty's Butte all seem to be down significantly. There are some pockets of deer and still some good bucks but they are harder to find. Cougars are taking alot and the last 3 out of 4 years have been hard winters here. This last winter there was 32" of snow in Burns and it wasn't gone from the valley floor until April (even later in the hills) so we have really dropped our numbers. Hopefully it's made the herd stronger and maybe we'll have a few mild years so the numbers can recover but it will take several years (if we're lucky)

nice post.maybe that dude that flew over in a helicoptor all the time 5-7 years ago,and located them,just a idea,dont know for sure,.

Well hopefully deer numbers come back do to the road closures, but you still have the cougars. Helicopter probably a sheep hunter or Fish and game. JB

yea,true bone picker,miss the old burns area,.wow,ya hunted same spots i did cool. and some flooding in burns,i think i saw just a few bucks, back behind crane and mal;huer,which was off limits and wagon tire,was very poor,.thanks for the write,. iknew some old cowboys in burns.long time ago,.

Back
Top Bottom