Step by Step shooting instructions

H

huntalone

This just might be the dumbest question asked on this forum but here it goes.
I am ready to shoot my muzzleloader for the first time and I have never even been around someone that has shot. I have studied everything Blue Elk has on here and feel pretty confident, but I don't want to do something stupid that experienced shooters take for granted. I don't want to blow my face off.
So, will someone give me step by step instuctions for shooting a round. How you put the powder, and bullet, and cap in, what order do you do it in etc. etc. etc.
How do you do it when hunting? ie. Do you walk around with powder, bullet and cap all ready with the safety on or what?
Thanks. Todd

Where are you located? Perhaps you can meet with one of us for a shooting session.

And just in case you go out by yourself, the cap goes on very last thing.

Here are the steps that I use when I go out to shot my muzzleloader:

1) Make sure the safty is on.
2) make sure that no one is down range. (Can't be to safe)
3) Place the butt of the gun on the ground and between my feet. Tilt the gun slightly forward and pinch it with you knees.
4) Measure the amount of powder that I want to use and poure it down the barrel.
5) Place my bullet over the barrel and push it in as far as a can with my thumb.
6) Finish pushing the bullet the rest of the way down the barrel and tape it three times to make sure it has been seated on the powder.

Note: After I have worked up a load I will put a mark on the ramrode so I can tell when the bullet has been seated ontop of the powder.

7) Pull the ramrode out of the barrel and put it away or set it off to the side for latter use.
8) Pick the rifle up keeping it pointed in a safe direction.
9) Put a fresh cap on the nipple.
10) Lay the rifle across the sand bags and get in a comfertable shooting stans.
11) When I have found the right stans I will take the gun off safty and shot it just like I do any other rifle.

Good luck and injoy your first time out.

400bull

Well Roy is about six hours away from me. I know there are a few shooters up there that would be happy to go with you. The only thing I can add to 400bull's post is, pop a couple of caps before shooting. Bluelk's ML chapters have pretty much covered everything. Perhaps there is a ML club in the area?

The step-by-step instructions from Bull400 is pretty darn good, but I would like to fine-tune it just a tad.

First of all, fire off three caps or 209 primer to assure that your nipple is dry b/4 you load.
Before you pour your powder, make sure the nipple is not closed by the action or side-hammer, depending on whether yours is an in-line or not. You want any trapped air in the barrel released when you pour the powder to avoid a possible misfire/hang-fire.

After you pour your powder with the barrel straight up, turn the barrel with your fingers and tap the barrel with the palm of your hands. This will help even-out your powder for a proper seating with your bullet.

Use the proper bullet starter when pushing it into the bore to avoid deformation.

After firing, wait two minutes before you re-load if you are using a round ball patch -- otherwise wait one minute before you pour more powder down the bore for a 2nd shot.

Thanks for the input shooters,I'm feeling a little better about it. Four questions come to mind from your posts.
1) I've read that some people use a short rod to start the bullet correctly in the end of the muzzle. Is this neccesary?
2) Can I tap the rod too hard or too light when I am seating the bullet onto the powder?
3) I've heard it can be dangerous to push a primer or cap on with your finger. It might go off. True or not?
4) When hunting, do you have your primer on?
Thanks again. Todd

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-03 AT 01:07PM (MST)[p]Answers, IMHO;

#1 Depends on if you can push the projectile in with your thumb. The short starter does put the projectile a couple of inches down-bore so seating is easier.

#2 Tapping too hard can deform the projectile. I don't tap at all. I mark my ramrods so I know when the projectile is seated fully, and firmly on the powder charge.

#3 Yep, use a capper. I saw a picture of a guy's thumb that had part of it blown off by a percussion cap. A shotgun primer is safer, but a priming tool is still recommended.

#4 It is safer to cap just before shooting. That said, I do have a cap on when I hunt. The cap or priming charge should be removed anytime you are walking on unsure footing, handing the gun to another person, setting it down, crossing fences or water, etc. There are several safety devices that also waterproof exposed caps. You can cover the cap with an empty .25auto case then lower the hammer on it. It keeps the hammer from contacting the cap.

Which rifle do you have, make & caliber? What projectile do you intend to shoot?

Oh, one other thing. Never-ever shoot the gun if the projectile isn't seated on the powder. If you have space between the powder and projectile, you'll most likely blow the barrel up!

Todd,
I live in Salt Lake and will be out at Lee Kay sometime this weekend (friday the 24th or saturday the 25th). That's not too far of a drive from Roy. I would be more than happy to to give you a hand if you would be interested.
Don't be too intimidated by it though. I started by myself too. I had talked to other people about it but the first time I shot was by myself. I just did what I had learned and it worked just fine. Still made me nervous though.
Like I said, I'd be more than happy to walk you through it if you'd like.
Ryan

Thanks for the offer Ryan, but I am going to be out of town. I'll keep your email address though for the future.
I shoot a Knight Wolverine, .50 with a red dot scope. I am going to shoot Blackbelt's with loose Pyrodex powder.
I read that Blue Elk runs a Windex patch down the barrel between shots. Does he mean Windex glass cleaner? Thanks.
Todd
I am getting so excited.

You won't need a short-starter with Blackbelt bullets. Yes, Bluelk means window cleaner. If you wish to use Windex, try to get the formula with vinegar. You can use spit, moose milk, Pyrodex cleaner, or a host of other potions to wipe between shots, just don't soak the patch.

It was mentioned to "put the safety on". Many guns don't have a safety, including mine, so that may not apply. I hunt with a primer on the nipple and since I have a side hammer, this would be hazzardous except that I use a brass nipple cover that has an "O" ring for a friction fit. This keeps the hammer from being able to fall on the cap (effectively a safety), and keeps the cap weatherproof from moisture. I believe it is called a "Kap Kover". These couldn't be used on an inline though.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom