Stock?

accubond

I have been looking for a thumbhole stock and really like the looks of the Boyds laminate and the Bell & Carlson in the Natural gear camo. With price being the obvious difference does anybody have any insight or reason why they would go with one over the other. The Boyds is a laminate stock and the Bell & Carlson is foam filled fiberglass epoxy. Thanks for any feedback and maybe you guys Know of a different stock maker (that wont break the bank) who makes a thumbhole stock?

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

Don't forget the weight. The laminated stock will be heavier than the synthetic stock. I have both laminated and 'glass stocks. On a gun where weight is a concern, no question I go with a good quality fiberglass/carbon fiber stock. Not the plastic injection molded crap that comes on a factory gun. The Bell & Carlson, McMillan, HS Precision, etc are the way to go.

Either route you go, do a good bedding job and you will be good to go. Even the stocks with factory pillars or aluminum bedding blocks need to be at least a skim coat of bedding. Typically, I do this even before I shot a new gun.

Thanks for the reply. The weight is actually identical. Boyds calls there stock a featherlight as it weighs between 2 and 2.5 pounds. I have also already decided to bed the stock before I even start working on a load. Do you think there is any difference in accuracy between the above mentioned stocks? Thanks again for taking the time!

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

If properly bedded, should not be any difference in accuracy. standard wood stocks have a tendency to warp in moist climates, but the laminated stocks are very stable due to the lamination process used.

RELH

IMO the wood is prettier but the fiberglass is a better choice if its a hunting gun that will be out in the weather hunting. And if you'll ever be hunting in brush, the fiberglass don't show scratches like the wood.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom