Stolen camera on Thousand Lake

JT31

LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-15 AT 09:39PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-15 AT 09:37?PM (MST)

A few weeks ago I discovered that I had one of my game trail cameras stolen off of Thousand Lake mountain. It was on public land that everybody has access too. Im just a regular guy who likes to hike, hunt and observe the great wildlife we have through pictures off of my camera. I work hard for my money and unfortunately I don't make a lot. Whoever did this is a thief and a criminal. I just can't imagine why someone would steal someone else's property. I consider myself to be courtious and to have respect for anyone I run into or see in the outdoors and their property. I just wish we didnt have to worry about thoughtless people like this....

Yup scum bags, we have had them stolen also. And I was told that a guy around here said he will take every one he finds just for selfish reasons of not wanting others to know wuts out there. So guess i'll just have to take them when I find them to replace mine and hope they are that said person. Wouldn't really take them its just frustrating.

Sorry to hear that. I have been extremely lucky so far that nobody has stolen my cameras. I had a guy try to steal one up by Willard Peak. I got video of him pulling on the camera trying to get it off the tree. I ran into the same guy a few days later after I checked my card and I told him that the camera was in my pack so there was no need to return and try to steal it off the tree. He played the dumb card and acted like he had no idea what I was talking about.

Dillon
www.dillonhoyt.com

You Boys are Startin a little Early Ain't Ya?

Keep the BS up & there'll soon be a 'Trail Cam' Season!

Wait a minute!

I think there already is one!:D

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

elkassassin.is it true you are starting a class on how to find a trail cam in the wild ???

>elkassassin.is it true you are starting
>a class on how to
>find a trail cam
>in the wild ???

No elkun!

That is not True!

I Pioneered the HIGH COUNTRY TUNE-UP!

I Seriously thought about Pioneering the Trail-Cam TUNE-UP!

But I Changed my mind!

A Couple times a year I Sell Misc Trail Cams!:D

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

I dread the first "he crapped in front of my trail cam" pics that I know are on the horizon!

Haven't there been several threads in the past that indicated that there is no legal recourse against taking someone's trail camera because it's considered "abandoned" on public land or something..?? I can't quite remember, but I thought there was a thread like that a year or two ago..??

Sorry you lost a camera. I haven't done trail cameras because I couldn't afford to lose one. :-(

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Even if a person unintentionally looses a piece of property you still don't have the right to keep it without taking reasonable measures to return it. It is called theft of mislaid or lost property. Reasonable measures would be to turn the property into the local authority. I'm not sure how a person could make a claim the property was abandoned or lost if it were attached to a tree.

LAST EDITED ON May-08-15 AT 06:38PM (MST)[p]Its like anything you own. You park your truck, Set up camp, Go out Hunting just because you are not there don't give somebody the right to take your stuff thinking its abandoned and public property. Same as with tree stands. you know were you left it. Its stealing and this world is full of it. Its sad now days that when you do leave camp when out hunting and fishing or just enjoying time with family and friends You have to lock up everything or take it with you. I hear about it all the time. I know its been going on for along time but now days social media brings it to our attention.

Just a hunch but my guess is the jerks who stole your camera are not the type of guys visiting this forum.

Are you kidding? They're out there just enjoying every piece of crap that you're saying about them. I used to think sportsmen were just a little above the norm as far as honesty goes. Na!! Not anymore and I hate to say it, but the same goes for this forum. Just a mill of the run MM hunting Joe.

Good call cannonball. Some of the people who placed comments on this particular post (stolen camera) insinuated that it was funny that the camera was stolen and that they encourage that kind of activity. That says alot!!

Call me naive or stupid but I don't want to believe that. My experience overall with sportsman is that they are a cut above ( especially those who use a stick and string)

In the past that might have been so, but today brings a different Cat.

Here is some recent experiences which were close enough that I can say were the truth. These were on deer hunt of which I'm sure 99% of the people out on the mountains were hunters:
Spotting scope taken out of the truck.
Windows broken and two guns taken.
ATV ramp taken.
Guide Service moving in a person who was sitting at the waterhole because he knew of a big buck in the area.
Drunk drivers, to many to count, driving in the mountains.
Stick and string hunters partying all night and getting up at 9:00 after the sun is high in the sky.
Stick and string hunters shooting three deer, not finding any of them(this was straight out of their own mouth). The one elbowed his friend after he had said it.

I could go on, but do I know I could leave my keys in my car and leave it unoccupied in the middle of town and it would be safer than in the mountains during the hunting seasons. SAD.

A hunter does not a sportsmen make and now you see mostly hunters. A cut above - NAY I SAY.

Don't get me wrong there are many Sportsmen out there. Overall - nothing special about the lot.

Just had to tell all a funny story that happened on the Pahvant. Several hunters were going out to their special hunting place. There was an old man that tried to hail each one down as they went by on their ATV's. Each was afraid he needed help and that would set them back on the hunt, except the last guy in the crowd. He stopped to see if he could help and was told there was a huge buck standing on the side hill. He got off his ATV and plunked the buck. It was much, much bigger than anything his buddies got and they were all very good hunters who hunted with one sportsmen.

Bummer Cannon on all the bad sportsmen that have been in your path.,that's not been my personal experience. Just want to beleive there's a lot more "Old Men" out in the woods trying to help folks out than thugs.

Not that in any way would I think to steal someone else's property- but devil's advocate here.... At what point do these things become litter? I mean do we as sportsmen think it's okay to sprinkle the public grounds with trail cameras year round? Personally, I find bumping into trail cameras little more enjoyable than finding beer cans and whiskey bottles in the mountains. But those I carry out.
It seems a bit piggish to me (no offense to original poster) to hang cameras, or treestands, or groundblinds or even campsites for long stretches. I would like to see people take all their junk with them when they leave.
Here in Michigan it's pretty much a given- if you leave it on public land it will MOST likely disappear. You wouldn't complain on the internet about this shocking occurence cuz you knew the risk. I would say hunting camp thefts and car break-ins are uncommon here, but leaving stuff in the woods rubs a lot of people the wrong way. It's seen as staking out your private spot on their public lands.
I noticed when hunting in Utah in some areas it was difficult to get a camping spot as they were all filled by unoccupied trailers. Guys who set up camps then left them until returning for hunting season. That won't fly here either.
I say leave the trail camera out as long as you like- as long as it's strapped to your shin and not 'my' trees.
Again, I don't support stealing them....just another viewpoint.

Great point sir, those who post cams over any certain area certainaly don't own it by any stretch. My two cents here are that the great majority of sportsman are good folks and not to be confused with a couple of thugs. Hope to be the Ol Man described in a prior post when ever that opportunity arises

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom