Stolen Treestand

Gonefishin

So, I went to hunt my stand on public land yesterday, only to find that it had been stolen, foot pegs and all. What a bummer! I would have had it chained up, but the tree was too big for my lock. Has this ever happened to anyone else out there?

As often as I hunt this stand I didn't feel like I needed to take it down each time. It takes a long time for me to hang it and all and I planned on just leaving it there all season. So much for that plan. Pretty discouraging.

I learned a long time ago, never leave anything out where other people can see it. If you do you're just lucky if it doesn't get destroyed or stolen. You just ran out of luck, that's all.

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

Why didn't you take the lower footpegs out on your way down??? That gives you a better chance of keeping it up for your hunt.

Would you leave the doors unlocked when you park you truck to go hunting? Would you leave your bino's laying in the trail and pick them up when you come back next trip? Sure packing in a stand is a pain and hanging one is even a bigger pain, but if you value anything, I wouldn't leave it on public land. Too many idiots who think they can do as they damn well please once they leave the asphalt road! I wish people weren't such sticky fingered jackasses, but anymore, most are! They feel they have some kind of arrogant right to cut fences, steal, tear up trails, shoot signs, litter, bend (if not compound fracture) game laws and basically raise hell. It used to be only a couple bad apples but anymore it sure seems like the idiot population has prolifically reproduced at a rate rabbits would envy! Sorry about your stand. Hopefully karma comes around to whoever took it and they take a tumble out of said stand into a cactus filled with rattlesnakes and broken beer bottles.

I hate it that someone took your stand. On the other hand I hate it that you left it there all season. Why do some folks think that they can just "claim" a spot by leaving there stand up? I hunt a water hole that some jack ass thinks he owns. He told me once that if he has his camper up before anyone else sets up there stand that he will run them off. I told him to stick it because I was camping in my tent before he got there and don't hunt from a stand. He leaves his stands up all year long. It takes everything I have to not vandalize them.

Sorry yours got stolen, but if you don't want to risk it again, then take it down. you can even hide it somewhere with out packing it all the way out.

2Pointer
www.jglowblinds.com

Hiding it is an idea, but this is how I look at it. If someone really wants to hunt that spot so bad, they can be my guest and climb up and hunt my stand. It would save them the trouble of having to hang their own. I know I don't own the ground, or the tree, but for heck sakes, don't steal or vandalize it. That's rediculous.

>Hiding it is an idea, but
>this is how I look
>at it. If someone
>really wants to hunt that
>spot so bad, they can
>be my guest and climb
>up and hunt my stand.
> It would save them
>the trouble of having to
>hang their own. I
>know I don't own the
>ground, or the tree, but
>for heck sakes, don't steal
>or vandalize it. That's
>rediculous.

Did you leave a note with you name and phone on it? A note saying feel free to use this if they want?

I'd say the assumption is if you do not leave a way to contact you or provide an open invitation to use the treestand then most of us will not feel welcome to be your "guest" and do you really think we would?

I maintain it is rude to put up a stand that is left unattended with no way to contact the owner. Is it so hard to leave a note saying what days you plan on hunting the stand? Do you put up more than one stand for the same hunt? Is it okay for me to hang a stand next to yours? If you say no, then is it okay for me to hang multiple stands knowing I am freezing out polite hunters from several good hunting spots? How many empty stands do you have to see to get upset at the next empty stand you encounter?

I get why people want exclusive use of a choice spot or want to tie up several choice spots so have one no matter the wind direction, etc. I also get why this upsets so many folks.

By no means hanging a treestand makes it YOUR spot. I have kicked people out of MY treestand before, Because it was where I wanted to hunt but I did not tell them to leave the area I was hunting.
I spent the money on the treestand, I took the time to scout and find a good place to hang the treestand, I should get to hunt out of MY treestand that I put in the tree for Me to hunt.

Anyone else wanting to hunt the area is more than welcome!! Leave stuff alone if you did not put it there!

I have a lock on mine and after he was sitting in the stand taking the steps out up to about 10 feet works good.

P.S. I got his number and called him after I was done using MY treestand and he also got an elk out of it!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom