Stone sheep

R

ram100

I am thinking of going after my Stone. Does anyone have an outfitter remmendation based on size and success rates? I will only be able to afford to go once.

Go to the Grand Slam website. they have numerous outfitters that advertise there. Also join, get a great magazine and hunter successes that lists the outfitter they used. There are some great outfitters, too many to list here, but are pricy. 15 to 20 thousand or more. Also the better ones will have a 2 year minumum wait unless you can get a cancelation hunt. But good luck definetly a hunt of a life time.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

A friend of mine has taken two stones (one over 40") with the Lancasters. However their prices have really gone up since.
He tells me they are very good people and have a great area!

You sound like your in the same boat I am. It will be a one time deal for me so I want to make sure I have the odds in my favor of taking a better than average ram the first time around.
I would look to the Bradfords or Art Thompson. I am working on booking with Art at Gundahoo River. The top end guys are up to 20-22 K. There are several other good outfitters as well. Good luck. cb

Myles and Sherry Bradford are in the top five outfitters for Stone's Sheep. I hunted sheep with them in 1998. Killed a 38" ram from a group of 17 on the first day of my hunt. Send me an e-mail if you want to know more. I can't say enough about how awesome the whole Bradford family is! If I had an unlimited money supply, I would hunt with them every year.

My wife and I are leaving this afternoon for a Stone sheep hunt with Christina Falls Outfitters. I shot a great ram in 1997 with Darwin and Angie Watson so now Kim figures it's her turn. Thankfully I'll have an elk tag in my pocket. This will be my fifth trip with Darwin and they just keep getting better.

http://www.christinafalls.com

033123.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-03 AT 10:58PM (MST)[p]ram100, I'll tell you what I told cb, take it for what it's worth. I have hunted in and around Gundahoo River's area as a resident, I have also done a fly in hunt in Myles Bradford's area. In my unworthy opinion Bradford's area doesn't hold the number of quality rams that Art Thompson has. Stone sheep west of the rocky mtn. trench tend to have smaller bases than those in the east. Having said that, there are a LOT of rams in the west and you probably won't have much trouble bagging one. On my hunt over there I passed up two legal rams and one guy in our group shot one. It was kind of a ratty little thing(32"x12") but it was his first. On our first hunt in the east we killd two rams, the smallest of which was 38" with 14" bases. Unfotunately is was broomed on one side and didn't score well. The other was broomed slightly and scored 164 B&C. If you're going to drop big dollars on a guided hunt you should really think about the trophy potential of the area you're going to.

ram100:

I took a nice 38+ inch Stone with Lone Wolf Outfitters from Whitehorse Yukon on August 18th of this year. It was taken just one mountain over from where the Stone sheep with the largest bases on record was taken just last year.

Of course I'd recommend Lone Wolf...quality,quality hunt at a very reasonable price. But, the information you have already received about contacting GrandSlam and OVIS is the very best anyone could give you...you will be able to find a number of reputable outfitters all willing to work extraordinarily hard for you. Good luck...but remember, you should be practicing your shooting from different distances and angles at least 2 to 3 times a week prior to the hunt to ensure success.

Greatest of Luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom