Storing meat on a trip??

150fighter

Well guys, heres the situation, my dad and I are going up north to hunt caribou in middle/late August. We are driving from Cranbrook to Yellowknife, which takes around 25 hours, which is not including breaks.

Since we really want to keep the meat what is the best way of transporting a lot of meat in the middle of the summer? My dad suggested dry ice, but that sounds too risky.

Thoughts,ideas?

Thanks

MIDDLE OF SUMMER???

I'D TAKE A SMALL TRAILER,A FREEZER & A GENERATOR!!!

BONE THE MEAT OUT & GET IT HOME SAFELY!!!

I'VE EVEN SEEN SMALL FREEZERS RIGGED UP ON HITCHES BEFORE!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING SAVING THE MEAT IS JOB ONE!!!

I've made the trip from Wyoming to Florida with meat in the 1980's. We had lots of coolers and we stopped and got dry ice every couple of days or as it was needed.
I like the freezer and generator idea though. fatrooster.

A couple of good coolers and ice is all you need. Drain the water off and add a bag of ice when you get gas. You can go a week or more like this.

Archer

I use a small freezer and generator. Dry ice does not work the best and the price is high. Pack the freezer with food and things you won't be bringing back then fill with meat. I usually let it run a good day or so to freeze rock hard. (Don't put the meat in a big pile - try to lay so that air gets all around it) Once frozen solid just run the generator a couple hours a day and your meat will be nicely frozen when you get home. For that long of a trip it's the way to go. Money wise you can probably buy a used freezer for what the dry ice will cost you. You just need to have the generator.

I know a guy who went moose hunting & they put a frezer in the back of their truck with a generator. Plugged it in at the motels when they stopped. They got 2 so I'm sure they had a big freezer.

I use real big (128 quart) marine coolers. Put cold boned meat into clean 5 gal. buckets, covered by wax paper. Then put the buckets in the big coolers and pack ice around the buckets. Need to drain off the water real regular and add ice. Eight buckets will hold a bull elk. Need at least two coolers.

This method works well. It gets pretty warm in the early deer and elk seasons in Arizona. You should easily be able to travel for two days like that without buying a freezer and generator.

I drive 1800 miles to hunt in WY every year. Most years I am lucky enough to take some meat home. 10 lbs of dry ice will last about 26 - 30 in a good cooler. I've never lost any meat. I do have it cut and wrapped in WY and it is usually frozen when we pack it in the coolers with the dry ice. I once talked to a guy who swore that he killed deer and even elk in CO and WY and transported them back east whole without even skinning them. Not for me.

Tim

HOOK A POWER INVERTER UP TO YOUR TRUCK PLUG A FREZZER INTO IT BAM INSTANT MEAT LOCKER
4209712115a8bdc2.jpg

Freezer and Power Converter seem like the ticket, you can then use the converter(Quietly) to heat up that coffee.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom