Strange pets?

eelgrass

Long Time Member
When I was in Junior High School I found a baby racoon in a garbage can at the park that couldn't get out. I threw my shirt over it and took it home. Dad and I built a "kennel" for him. Eventually he was allowed into the house for short periods of time. (the coon, not dad. Dad was never allowed in the house, lol).

I named him Billy. He loved to climb the Christmas tree at Christmas time. He ate some table scraps but mostly dry dog food. He always "washed" his food in his water bowl before eating. One time I gave him a sugar cube. Of course he took it right over to his water bowl, and of course it disintigrated to nothing. Billy spent the next 5 minutes feeling around in his bowl trying to find it! We never laughed so hard in our lives!

One day he escaped his kennel and never came back. But I'll never forget him.

Anyone else ever have an odd pet?

Steve

When I was very little, there was a bobcat living in front of our trailer in a cactus patch. My Mom would feed it and it had a litter then was to never be seen again.

When I was a boy my Father trapped a prairie dog and we kept it as a pet. I was about four then. He would climb up to your shoulder and drink out of a glass. Still living in that trailer.

Growing up we had iguanas, turtles, collared lizards, and horned toads.

Thank God we still don't live in a trailer.

Cool post Steve. Curious to see what others have to say.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

My 4 yr old colt invites himself in the house to see whats in the kitchen to eat. (apples, lettuce)Thats kinda strange.
Had (2) crows, and a Whitey (buck) fawn when I was a kid. The crows were a riot and hung around for many years, (Kind of cleptomaniacs though) "Bucky" used to tear up the front screen door wanting corn from the fridge as soon as he shed his velvet, his mother was hit by car in front of us, and he just layed down right in the road. He dissapeared in hunting season sporting his second year rack.....hmmmmm, I think Bucky ended up as an entre. Orange ribbon on antlers and all. Guess that happens, we never kept him penned.

life IS good (Even when your "pet" is your neighbors main corse)

My dad being a logger we had a few pet flying squirrels. They were kinda boring and I think they ended up mixed in with the dumplings.

I had a baby raccoon i rescued from an old house being torn down. Also had a red fox that my cousin brought to me. Don't know where he got it but it already had teeth and was wild as hell. I got him to where i could pick him up without being bitten but nobody else could. Turned them both loose when they grew up but saw the fox hanging close by several times over the years. he'd sit and watch me walking around the farm.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT!!!

WELL THE OLE MAN CAME HOME SPORTING A SNAPPING TORTISE WHEN ME & MY BROTHERS WERE YOUNG!!!

WE DRILLED A HOLE IN HIS SHELL & CHAINED HIM OFF!!!

WORKED O.K. FOR A WHILE UNTIL HE BROKE THE CHAIN!!!

A WEEK LATER,OUT OF NOWHERE,DOWN THE ROAD SOME KID GOT THE CRAP BIT OUT OF HIM BY A SNAPPING TORTISE!!!

WE GOT A BUMMER LAMB WHEN HE WAS 2 DAYS OLD!!!

AT 2 DAYS OLD I STARTED PUTTING MY FIST ON HIS FOREHEAD AND PUSHING HIM BACKWARDS,HE'D BUNT ME,I NAMED HIM MAYNARD!!!

WELL MAYNARD KEPT GROWING,EATING EVERYTHING IN SIGHT,FRITO'S,DOG FOOD,GRAIN,YOU NAME IT HE'D EAT IT!!!

WELL IT WASN'T LONG & MAYNARD WAS THE BIGGEST SOB'ING BLACK FACE ANYBODY HAD EVER SEEN!!!

DAD KEPT THE GRAIN FOR THE HORSES IN THE SIDE DOOR OF THE HORSE TRAILOR & MAYNARD KNEW IT,ONCE HE GOT HIS HEAD IN NOBODY COULD PRY HIM OUT!!!

WELL ONE YEAR 2 DAYS BEFORE DEER SEASON DAD OPENED THE SIDE DOOR TO GET GRAIN FOR THE HORSES & MAYNARD LOWERED HIS HEAD & HIT DAD RIGHT IN THE SIDE OF THE KNEES KNOCKING THE LIGAMENTS OUT OF HIS KNEE,NEVER EVEN SEEN IT COMMING,BOY WAS HE IN PAIN & BOY WAS HE MAD AT ME FOR TEACHING MAYNARD BAD HABITS!!!

HE IMEDIATELY BOUGHT THE BIGGEST BADDEST WHITE FACE COLUMBIA BUCK HE COULD GET HOLD OF,THOUGHT HE'D THROW HIM IN WITH MAYNARD HOPEING THE WHITE FACE WOULD KILL MAYNARD,WELL THE NEXT MORNING THE OLE MANS PRIZE WHITE FACE BUCK LAY DEAD,MAYNARD HAD KILLED HIM DEAD!!!

THE OLE MAN WAS STILL MAD,HE BOUGHT ANOTHER BIG BAD BUCK,THE VERY NEXT MORNING MAYNARD HAD MET HIS MATCH,HE LAID DEAD,IT TOOK A WHILE BUT DAD GOT EVEN WITH MAYNARD!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WITH THE TRUE MEANING OF PISSCUTTER:SUB TROPHY QUALITY OF THE SPECIES,IF YOU USE THE WORD PISSCUTTER YOU'D BETTER KNOW WHAT IT MEANS OR EVERY M.M. MEMBER & EVERY PERSON ON THE WWW WILL BE LAUGHING THEIR ASSES OFF AT YOU,ALL YOU DOE-SHOOTERS CAN KISS MY TAIL ALSO,YOU MUST BE A GREAT WHITE HUNTER WHEN YOU BRAGG YOU SHOOT DOES,HOW DOES IT MAKE YOU FEEL WHEN YOU KILL 2 OR 3 DEER WITH ONE SHOT,FRICKEN FAWN KILLERS,THAT AIN'T A HUNT THATS A SHOOT!!!

RE: BELIEVE IT OR NOT!!!

not really a pet more like a hobby or project:
It was a Tidal Reef Aquarium(200 gal) it had every thing eels, ab's, crabs, shrimps, fish, inverb's,star fish, ray, tube feeders, octipus (the escape artist).
I was in to it about 10k before it got to be to much work!
rm

Had a short term pet on my mission, we caught a bat flying in our apartment and threw a blanket over him and trapped him in a box, then took him over to the sisters apartment and let him go in there, we named him Batty.

I had a hedgehog during college. Interesting little creature.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

MY LITTLE SISTER.
Now that was and still is a scarry creature.
But shes grown in to a !!! Well we'ed just best not go there.

Bess - your black face ram must have been a cousin to mine - we called him Gonzo. I used to go out to the corral with a 2x2 for protection - Gonzo would get a run and WHACK - I would hit him with all I had. Then he would come back for more. When we finally sold him the guy we sold him to wanted us to buy him back because he was the meanest SOB on his farm! He killed a coyote though the next day so the new owner decided to keep him after all.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

LAST EDITED ON Sep-06-06 AT 02:37PM (MST)[p]I had a chicken... I was only like 3 or 4, scared hell outta me peck'n my shoe laces.
Chased me all over the back yard.
Still terrified of anything with a big yellow pecker.

As a child I had baby alligators (you could buy them from tourist traps going to Florida; Horned Toads (have relatives in Texas); lizards, snapping turtles, iguana and my favorite: the Praying Mantis.

Bess and Roy,

Mine was a big Rambolet, polled thankfully,
that would roll his eyes back in his head and
fight the everliving shoot out of you. He knocked
my mom down one day when she went over to feed
everything some oats. Beat him half to death with
a cedar stave, but he got over it. Later, I hung a
big burlap sack from a Cottonwood limb filled with
rocks, paper feed sacks, junkiron, whatever aka a
sheep punching bag. He kept himself so worn out backing
off and hitting that thing over and over again, we didn't
have to worry about him fighting us anymore. I know I was
never in the mood to fight after I'd hauled hay all day.
larry

My daughters have a pet scorpion. I did a pool in my backyard and had to rent a bobcat to level everything off before they came to start the pool. I had just finished and was spraying everything down with water when I looked down and saw a scorpion crawling across the ground. So I scooped him up and we bought a little aquarium for him and feed him crickets. Every once in a while I will mess with him with a pencil and I still jump when he strikes.

If it crawls or slithers it don't come into my house!
When I was a kid me and a good friend caught a fledgling crow once, small one.
We kept it in a big cage for a few months and fed it all kinds of nuts, fruit and veggies.
Then we decided he should be free so we let him go.
He was cool though.

Kilowatt, yeah beavers make lousy pets.

Bess, I had a similar named pet, I called him Melvin, It was a sharley cross calf that was retarded.
We bottle feed several calves growing up, & this one came up behind me one day shoved his nose in my as$ thinking he was gona make more milk come out, it startled me to the point that I grabbed a piece of 2x4 out of the manger & clobbered him over the head, he dropped like a sack o'$hit & when it finally got up it was a tard, after that he could never back up so he would get stuck in the corner of the corral & in the mangers, he also slobbered all the time. Since I made him that way he became mine to tend.

Here's JR's pet Horny Toad

45097c2b144286c2.jpg

After a flood one year I found two abandon baby bobcats. Took them in until they were about 9 months old then turned them loose.

Not exactly strange, but sure funny looking. My wife has a 9 pound female toy poodle, I have an 85 pound male Pitbull. They love each other, but odly enough the little one rules the roost. We get a lot of looks and conversation whenever we take them on walks around town.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom