Strawberry Res.

chewyman55

Howdy gents. With spring finally here, I'm getting antsy to get out and do some fishing. I've never fished Strawberry and am looking to finally hit it this year. I hear things can get hot as the ice goes out. I'm a bank fisherman and prefer to throw lures like the good old Krocodile. I'm not real familiar with the layout of the Reservoir. Is it basically just pick a point and cast or do I need to get to specific bays to have a chance? Any good sources to call or look up for when the ice breaks up? I don't live in that area. PM me if you'd like. Not after any top secret info. Just a dude and his fishing pole :) Thanks MMers!

Timing is everything with the ice off bite, and the fishing can go from a hit every cast to nothing with the flip of a switch. Honestly it can be tough if you're limited to only a couple trips. It seriously takes a few weeks worth of hitting it to have a handful of those crazy magical trips, but when you hit it just right it'll be the best trout fishing of your life. Other than the fact the fish are bear lake slimers that don't fight worth a dang, but they're big and pretty. There are a handful of BIG rainbows making it through the years. If the ice fisherman left a few there are gonna be some huge rainbows caught this spring.

I think the soldier creek side fishes better early, but you never know where you're gonna have the best open water. If you can only make one trip be dang sure to get some recent reports. If you hit it wrong you could spend all day without a single hit.

If the bite is on it won't matter what you throw, but in general natural colored lures, jigs, flies, etc. seem to do better in the spring than super flashy stuff. Tough to beat a rapala or marabou jigs... Buggers and beaver leaches are always good. I like the fly rod for the shallow water, but you can cover a lot more water with a spinning rod and lures/jigs. Not to mention that water is flipping cold.

It'll be here early this year! Can't wait! :)

I appreciate that info Prism. I'm in Evanston so it's not too bad of a trip. I'd like to give it one solid spring's worth of an effort. I'm heading to the Gorge here next weekend to get rid of some spring fever. I guess we're prob still a few weeks out at Strawberry? I need to make a buddy who commutes past the reservoir! Again, thanks for your tips.

1/16 oz black maribou jigs with a little sparkle in the preferably....and probably another two weeks weather depending.....

littlebeaver.jpg

Lighter line will do the trick, distance is not the idea when it comes to ice off fishing. Most of the places you should fish will only have a cast length of ice pull back any way. if your looking for areas to get distance casts you have missed the mark, find steeper shores with 10-20 yrds of open water to work with. fish no deeper than 15 feet total, and use a very slow retrieve with a slight bounce in the jig.

If ya have any questions just stop by the marina, I or whomever is working at the time will give ya the run around ;-)

littlebeaver.jpg

You tried it yet Prism?

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

It's been a long hard ride
Got a ways to go
But this is still the place
That we all call home

I've been twice so far. It's been good. Last night was amazing.

Fish are in OK shape. I'd say about 70% of the cuts I've caught have been pretty skinny and fighting even worse than usual, but I've caught a couple tank cuts that put up a pretty good fight. I haven't had a tape or scale, but a few cuts in that 3-5lb range. Lots of 1-3lb fish. I haven't caught a rainbow yet, which is suprising. But I haven't thrown anything smaller than 4" either. Have to try some smaller stuff this week. It's just fun throwing monster stuff this time of year hoping for that fish of a lifetime.

I think the window of great shore fishing is gonna be smaller this year. It's going fast.

Thanks Prism!

Probably won't even get the chance to go!

A Skinny Bear Lake Cutthroat huh?

That'd be like realing a Stick in!

That's gotta be the Laziest Breed of Cutts I've ever caught!

Got a ways to go
That we all call home

I've reeled sticks in that fight harder than some of them. It's amazing they get as big as the do. Seems like they like to roll over and over on the line too-makes a mess.

Pound for pound the planters in deer creek are about as good as it gets for slimers around here.

It's a good thing there's a few places to catch smallmouths and carp close by.....:)

I hear you Prism!

It's kinda like this here:

I'm hooked,I'll follow the Lure in to the JOKER that hooked me,Thank GAWD I'm in the Slot,Thanks for releasing me,see me next time,lol!

Anybody know what's so neat about this breed of Cutts?

Must be something the DWR is makin money on?

Got a ways to go
That we all call home

They like to eat chubs, shiners, rainbows, and eachother. The big boys like to eat crawdads ;-) and they have a sweet tooth for lucky crafts. Dang this crappy weather moving in the next few days! It ain't the cold, it's the WIND.

My pick would be a lucky craft 78 or 100 pointer in ghost minnow.

Use good line and tie good knots...They're worth the money.

How the weather up there.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom