Streambeds

backpacker

Just had a question about fishing streams in UT- does private property pertain to the streambeds too? Was wondering if a guy can wade streams in between parcels of private land, wondering if the property only extends to the high water mark or goes past it. Couldn't find it in the regs. Thanks.

As far as i can tell the private property includes stream beds. I have had talked to a couple of buddies that have been asked to leave said properties by Fish and Game....
477ae34e5b284072.jpg

I was under the understanding that the streambed was private property. You can float over it but you can't touch the bottom.

You can float on the water, but in Utah landowners own the "land."

It's sad to see what little water Utah has locked up behind more and more gates and fences.

Along those lines, is it just me or does the Provo seem to be getting worse and worse? Especially the middle.

I've been fishing it for over 20 years and have been waiting for all of this river reconstruction stuff to start working....

I'd have to say that from the dam to deer creek that the fishing is much worse than pre construction.

I've got lots of theories as to why. It sucks to live so close to such an awesome river that use to fish great...

Worse in terms of size of fish or numbers? Was thinking of making the trip down there sometime this year just to say I fished the Provo.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-08 AT 09:19PM (MST)[p]backpacker,

Both. Your best shot at a "big" fish is if one moves up from Deer Creek into the river.

I caught a 26" brown a couple of years ago right below the Jordanelle dam, but you're gonna have to fish really hard and long to break 18" up there now.

Down towards Deer Creek there is always the chance to hook into something huge-like a carp ;-) Throughout the winter there's usually some decent rainbows that move up, but the browns in that stretch have really taken a beating with all of the silt, fungus, etc....... Still could hook into something big in this area-I've even caught walleye on the fly rod around the Charleston bridge!

There is great access on both the middle and lower. It's been yuppified pretty good-even have toilets all over the river...

Pretty much all of the upper is now closed to the public. It use to be my favorite section. There's some decent fishing just above Jordanelle if you like "campground" fishing.

The "raft hatch" on the lower is always good for some good clean summer entertainment. Nothing like an innertube and a bunch of snow-white BYU students....

If you're coming to fish for fish, come in the winter. The colder and snowier the better. Bring the streamer box and leave the bobbers and nymphs for the Green.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-08 AT 07:58PM (MST)[p]I fished it last week,the middle, and the water was HIGH, but fishable. I ended up catching 4 (the biggest was right at 16 inches.) I lost 2 pigs because i was fishing with the wrong leader 5x isn't gonna cut it....3x is the way to go!

I belive there are bigger fish in there now, but you wont catch them on the standard rigs, that you would use to catch little fish(under 16"). Big fish live in different places and EAT different things. The BIG guys wont be rushing up to your dry in the middle of the afternoon.

But in general, i feel, the river has toughened up because of the "overfishing". The fish just get real gunshy, But it sure beats a day at the office!

EDIT* JD's fishing tip of the year:
I use oversized wet flies....if the fish are hitting sowbugs, or princes or any of your standards...use one tied in size 8 or 10,and drop a standard size fly of the same pattern below it. see what fly gets hit more often!

47aa8a9e202b0d9f.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom