Stupid ?

Sierra

Very Active Member
This may be a stupid question, but i'll ask anyways. Can you dry fire (with a,used cap or even a new cap) a Thompson Pro Hunter muzzleloader? Or this technically not considered dry firing since i would be using a cap? I'd like to get some trigger practice in without always having to head to the range.

Thanks in advance of your response.

Sierra

I know for sure you can safely fire a cap only through a muzzleloader, I do it every time I go back to the range before loading to remove any oil from the last cleaning.

I suspect and would see no reason why you couldn't dry fire with a used cap in place, but not sure how hard it would be to remove the cap after firing.

Not sure about truly dry firing with nothing in the gun.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I may be off here but as far as I know there is no harm in dry firing any center fire rifle or handgun. The firing pin is never touching anything to cause any harm. I would be leery of using a cap for both safety and waste reasons.

If you dry fire it too much you can wear down the nipple enough to shorten it just enough to cause a misfire. I watched my brother in law do this. It was a cheap traditions in line so that was probably a big part of it. He bought a new nipple and never had that problem again. He always puts a cap on it now and limits his dry firing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom