Success! Montana unit 102-50 Eureka moose tag drawn!

Jeffpg

Well, I've been in the points running from the gitgo, having applied the first year they were available and every year since, and I finally hit a tag. I also put in for sheep and goat but perhaps they will come later.
I hunted moose successfully in Idaho back in 2008 so I have a bit of experience with them. All I really know about the unit is that it's in the NW corner of the state and is supposedly one of the better units in the state, with some thick timber and both roadless and logging road areas.

If anyone here can offer any info on what to expect or point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

I had the 111 tag in 2018. It was a hard hunt. 10 days before I saw a moose. Had to go really far down closed roads to find them. Lots of wolves in that area.

Congrats on drawing the moose tag, Jeffpg. Have you received your successful drawing notice in the mail yet??? Best of luck and wishes on your moose hunt!!!

I rec'd the notice and bought the tag. I have had some pretty good responses from guys both here and elsewhere and I feel that I have a pretty decent game plan going into the hunt. My plan is to drive up and set up camp in the midst of my hunt area on or before the last week in September, depending on work duties. I realize this won't be a slam dunk for a monster bull, but I am ready and willing to work hard for a good bull that's representative of the unit.
I honestly belive that my biggest challenge may very well be getting the bull taken care of after he's down... Yes, it's positive thinking in a way, but I have taken a large bull before and this is one helluva job! As for now, I do not have any definite help. I would like to entertain the prospect of hiring someone with horses or mules in the area for the pack out.
Thanks in advance for any input!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom