Suggestions on new digital camera

bigbucksk

I am looking at buying a new digital camera in the near future(hopefully before Christmas) and have narrowed down my search to a Panasonic FZ camera. I don't want to spend too much money so I am looking at the FZ1, FZ2, and FZ3 but am having trouble finding information on what is different between these 3 models. Any suggestions on which model would be the best for the price? I will be using the camera mostly for taking pictures of deer and other nature scenes.

Also, has anyone purchased a camera through RitzCamera.com? I am from Canada and have not found many places that will ship to Canada. Also they seem to have a really good price on the FZ1 @ $249US. Any help would be appreciated.

Jordie B

LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-04 AT 01:25PM (MST)[p]Suggestion,

Go to this website and type in the camera info and then let them find the info for you. www.google.com enter info in "search window". good luck

Brian

LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-04 AT 04:52PM (MST)[p]Jordie,

I was in the market for a camera similar to what you've described. I was set to buy the Panasonic FZ10, had it in my hands at the Ritz Camera Store in the Flagstaff Mall. It has it all and I wanted it. The one thing that stopped me was the size of the camera. I asked myself would I really take it everywhere and have it handy when an opportunity for a good photo presented itself? The answer was I wasn't sure that I would. I left the store without the camera, my search continued.

I ended up buying the new Canon S1 IS. It has 10X optical zoom, image stabilization, a flash, uses AA batteries, compact flash card, shoots video, and can slip into the cargo pocket of a pair of hunting pants. The only think I can say I wish the camera had a bigger viewing screen. So far I have been very satisfied with the quality of the camera and the photos. Costs about $360-385, bought mine at Wal-Mart. It's worth a look IMO.
The Panasonic is a fantastic camera and the right choice for lots of folks;however, there are other choices like the Canon and the Olympus C700's series.

Thanks for the info AZBuckSnort. After looking at a few reviews, the camera looks good but may be a bit above my price range. My main concern though is the use of AA batteries. My dad has a digital camera that takes AA batteries and it always seems to be a hassle changing batteries and buying new ones. I really like the idea of a rechargeable battery that comes with the camera. Also, size isn't a concern to me. I think I would rather have something a little bigger that is easier to grip. I will definiatly keep this camera in mind though when it comes time to make a decision.

Jordie B

Was reading Consumers Report today and they have a Canon Sure Shot A60 picked as " A Best Buy" at $135.00

Plan on going to look for one this coming week in a few different stores we have around here.

Brian

I use the rechargeable NiCad batteries in mine, no hassles at all.

A friend loaned me his Canon A70 digital for a trip I took to Hawaii in August. That was my first time using a digital. That little 2.0 megapixel camera took great pics and was a breeze to use and stick in a pocket. If Consumer Reports has the A60 rated that high I'd believe it and it would be a solid choice for anyone looking for a hassle free digital that's for point and shoot photography.

www.dpreview.com that site will answer any questions you have about deciding on a camera.
buck1.gif

www.browtine.com
Later, Brandon

I just bought the FZ10K. It has everything I could ever dream of. I have been doing photography for years, and have stuck to the 35mm world. I own a Canon A2E, and before that an AE1. All I can say is that I am highly impressed with this camera. I also have seen many photos on here produced by it and other MM members. I think if you had an extra 200 smackers in your pocket, go for the FZ20. It is all that and more. I am not doing side by side comparisons for you, just giiving you my .02 worth.

browtine,
Thanks for the heads up on that review as well. Looks like that Canon A60 is a discontinued model.

Brian

I just bought a Pentax Optio 4i and I like it. Small, steel case, plenty of zoom, rechargeable lithium battery, overall a good camera.

Another REALLY good site for info is stevesdigicams.com or something like that, just search for it. He has very thorough reviews of every camera made!! (it seems like).

If you want a good zoom, but less money spent, look at the Olympus c-740. You can pick them up pretty cheap and they are a great cam. Same with the 730 and 750. THe FZ's kick a$$ but are a bit more expensive.

The canon S1 IS is also rated pretty darn good. THere is also a Pentax that has like 14X optical zoom. That could be interesting too, saw it at Costco today.

Good Luck

Thanks for all the replies. I think I am going to go with the FZ1. It seems to have all the options that I am looking for in a camera. The 12x optical zoom is the biggest selling point for me along with the image stabilization.

Jordie

I'm with you littlefoot...just check out Boneaddicts picture with the FZ10 in this forum. Can't go wrong.

CPSANDMAN
"The Buck stops here...I hope!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom