SuperTag

ofdscooby

Hi guys I usually don't post in the Montana forum and I am fairly new to this site. I just recieved an call from my friend and hunting partner he is the winner of the 09 elk SuperTag. I have never hunted in Montana and he has been once. Any suggestions or info will be appriciated also some recomended guides would be helpful as well. Thanks guys.

Wow!! make sure you keep us all posted on how it goes.

Sorry, I can offer no help on guides. As far as where to look, the obvious places, 380(elkhorns), the Missouri breaks.

Nothing like that tag to put a little pressure on a guy.

I will post as he gets more info on the hunt and what he decides we've been friends since grade school and I hope to tag along and photograph the whole expierence for him. We also have tags in NM this year so it's gonna be a busy season.

Congrats to your buddy!
I'd try to make a trip into the Elkhorns during archery, the Breaks during the general season, and then hit up Gardiner in the late season.
If you have any experience elk hunting,there's really no reason you should need to hire a guide, but I'd maybe get in contact with the Martins at Flying Diamond out of Livingston. They'd be a great last resort if your buddy still has his tag at the end of January. The prices for outfitters on the late hunt are dirt cheap, and having one as a fallback could take some of the pressure off of connecting on your own. The late hunt has lots of really nice bulls, but probably not the number of really high end bulls as the other units.
The Elkhorns are by no means an easy hunt, but that's probably the area with the most potential for the biggest bulls.

Please keep us updated on the hunt, and pictures would be awesome.
I'm tired of always giving guys my input on this site and never hearing how the hunt went.

I have something in common with him. I drew the 2006 elk supertag. I am also a non resident, great tag! I'd like to discuss with him my hunt, I traveled to MT 3 times hitting the archery hunt, the reg season and January migration hunt, My goal was to experience as much Montana elk hunting as I could. If he is hung up on a number find a private landowner in the eastern part of the state and kill one off of one of his hay fields, I had a landowner that wanted $5000.00 to kill a bull that he was seeing every night in the same field, I could have flown into Montana in the morning, killed the bull and been back in Illinois the next day having dinner with my family. I was not interested! I learned a lot and made some good contacts, I can help him.
joe

Good story. Too bad most land owners anymore are getting like that. Signs of the times. I would probably be the same if I owned some property with game on it.
I ran in to the same problem last year with my LE MT elk tag. Where I hunted the bulls were there during the rut but I didn't own a bow. Then when the rifle hunt started they were long gone. Tried to ask around and all they(landowners who hoard or protect the elk) want is money. I could see 500 bucks or so just to keep everybody and thier dog from askin but 6 grand is a little steep. Where did you end up killing your bull and do you have any picks?

Wow! One hell of a tag. i Guess it starts out with what kind of an elk he is looking for. The elkhorns are pretty much my back door and there are a ton of bulls, the quality is the question. Archery season is a blast bringing in rags to bulls in the lower to mid 300's. Don't get me wrong there are the 360+ around mainly sticking close to private,but a ton of elk in the whole 380 unit. Lots of good bull in the eastern part of the state also. It might be a hair pulling tag:)

I hunted 380 during the archery hunt, the bulls really respond to calling. we had many close encounters with very good bulls. In fact most of my 2006 supertag hunt was filmed by the crew that produces Rocky's Geared Up hunting show, all of the footage they used during the archery portion of their show was filmed in the Elkhorns.It's a great area, I certainly would make a point of spending a handful of days there in mid to late Sept. Maybe you can hook up with Lightw8 and he can show you around. I found a lot of good Montana folks were willing to help me in any way they could.I hunted about 16 days when I had the tag and the only time I paid someone was the day I killed my bull by Gardiner, "We needed horses, and we didn't have them and the outfitter did" I certainly could have killed a bigger bull much earlier in the hunt but I would've never gotten to experience all that I did.
jd

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom