SUPPORT ZUMBO!

D

Dmanmastertracker

I'm taking names of anyone who wants to show support for getting Jim Zumbo back on TV. Just send me an email.
D

Pre-cyberspace, Jim would have been able to rephrase his comments before the lynching party assembled.

Met the guy once at an RMEF banquet. Bought one of his books at his kiosk and wanted him to sign it. He was talking to one of the other "big name hunter" types, laughing and yucking it up during the transaction. He tells me to just put it aside and "I will get to it later."

I said "how bout I just get my money back and you won't have to worry about it at all." (I was buying it for my Dad who was a fan). He got a bit assed up with me, and I saw a couple of others lay down books they were going to purchase and walked off.

Extremely arrogant man whose arrogance landed him in hot water. Maybe the hunting community will replace him with someone who doesn't take his fame and position in life for granted.

I guess everyone's experience is different. I can't remember when I first met Jim, I always see him at the sportsman's shows. He has always taken time to talk with me as long as I cared to talk. To be honest compared to some of the other big names we all know, I've felt him to be the most easygoing "just one of the guys" of the bunch. Some of the other's seem like they are above the average guy, I never got that impression from Jim. He once said to me; I'm just an average guy that's been blessed to be able to do what I most enjoy in life for a living. He truly is appreciative of that fact.

I have to agree that his original blog and all of his "apologys" have come across as arrogant. I see no need to prop him back up on his pedestal. Im sure he will be replaced with some younger talent who will be darn sure not to pull a "Zumbo".
ismith

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ anonymous

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-07 AT 08:39AM (MST)[p]>Met the guy once at an
>RMEF banquet. Bought one
>of his books at his
>kiosk and wanted him to
>sign it. He was
>talking to one of the
>other "big name hunter" types,
>laughing and yucking it up
>during the transaction. He tells
>me to just put it
>aside and "I will get
>to it later."
>
>I said "how bout I just
>get my money back and
>you won't have to worry
>about it at all."
>(I was buying it for
>my Dad who was a
>fan). He got a bit
>assed up with me, and
>I saw a couple of
>others lay down books they
>were going to purchase and
>walked off.
>
>Extremely arrogant man whose arrogance landed
>him in hot water. Maybe
>the hunting community will replace
>him with someone who doesn't
>take his fame and position
>in life for granted.

I Had the same experience with the dude a long time ago...
don't forget he's from N.Y not wyoming where he liv es today

He is back on TV... he was on the Colbert Report just the other day! More people probably saw him there than the total number of viewers to have watched all his hunting shows combined LOL.

-DallanC

Im still PO'ed that a guy that has spent his whole adult life in the gun hunting/outdoor industry can be dumb enough to say what he did on the internet, or have we been buffaloed all these years?

I had almost the same experience as Jimnv did about 10yrs ago the first show I ever attended. I believe it was not so much ignorance as much as it was arrogance that landed him in this mess. He started thinking he was untouchable and say or do what ever he wanted, well it came around and bit him in the behind. To be perfectly honest, I don't think much of any of these guy's on TV, who couldn't do what they do? They don't hunt they kill, they show up at a ranch and a guide takes them by the hand and says there he is shoot. I would like to see anyone of them go out on their own and succesfully take a trophy animal or any animal.

Anyway that's my .02 cents on Zumbo and we all will have our opinions.

Slide

Slide, I've talked with some who've had a bad experience with this guy (like we've had) and there are others who haven't. I feel like on a face to face meeting, I'm a pretty good judge of a persons character. Arrogance, pride, phoniness, honesty, courage, whatever are often times radiated from people. When I met JZ, I saw arrogance. I felt that "he felt" that he was above us common rif-raff. Perhaps he's changed. Mellowed. I hope so because a guy like him could and has done much for the hunting and shooting industry.

The facts are this folks. When you strive to put yourself in high profile positions like Zumbo has, you JUST HAVE to couch your words and actions. The man screwed up and seriously. Most hunters seem to be past this little faux pas of his, but sport shooters will pillory him. His heart-felt apologies not withstanding, the Anti's will use this as ammunition to bolster bills like HR 1022 which is up for the legislature to look at soon.

You hear on this board that we cannot divide our community or it will come apart. You folks are standing up for a guy who took a verbal axe and cleaved away a significant pro-gun base. He made comments, base on arrogance, about something he knew nothing about (the AR Sporting arms world). He stood on his throne, above all of our heads, attired in his vestments as one of the darling princes of the hunting world and proclaimed that some of us were evil for owning these weapons.

He had a responsibility folks. A big one. I don't think an apology on Nugents site is going to absolve him of this, nor should it. He made a bed of his own choosing. If JZ makes it out of this mess he has found himself in, perhaps he will see the light of his mistake. Bravo. However, there are those of us who see that this was an error born of arrogance. I believe, no matter what kind of apologies he makes, that he is still arrogant enough to believe that he is right in his first assessment of black guns, and what you are seeing in a way of apology is not entirely genuine.

I hope that I am wrong. Genuinely, I hope I am. He is, has, and can be a boon to hunting/shooting, but changing habits is harder than acquiring them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom