Surprising elk sighting

stevie

While driving back from a Red River fly fishing trip, I saw a herd of elk right where I-25 crosses the Rio Grande just downstream from Caballo. They were in a field next to the rocket ship models anyone who has driven by there has noticed.

I feel like you might have been smoking some good stuff. There is a whole lot of desert between there and where elk are supposed to be.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-13 AT 09:21PM (MST)[p]I looked at the field in the first place because a buddy from Hatch told me that Game and Fish shot (or tried to shoot) a bunch of elk off that place not that long ago. I saw the rockets, looked over at the field, and lo and behold there were about 8 cow elk. I looked three times to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

No dope smoking here. There's alot of desert between the San Mateos/Magdalena's and the Bosque del Apache too.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-13 AT 09:37PM (MST)[p]Unit 21B - 50 rifle MB, 60 rifle A, and 50 bow ES tags.
Hunting elk in the bosque is all well and good until the Friends of Jennings(tm) make a claim against them chilli and pecan munchin critters.

This siting is not so weird considering the water. Kinda like last year's the ruckus about the herd of raghorns at the Rio Puerco rest area.

I have seen them as I go to and from El Paso and Cruces often.. Usually only see deer there but I have seen a nice group of 15 there... But they are there!

Some Family friends of mine had a Cow Elk run across their lower 10 acre property last year in Cottonwood, just north of Artesia. It was during the Ruidoso Fire. Pretty crazy. Ill see if I can dig up some pictures.

I saw them in the same spot last year in July at 2:00 in the afternoon while it was about 100 degrees. I was on the way to the lake to meet some of my buddies and they all told me I was full of s***. My only backup was when I saw them I turned the truck around and showed them to my wife. They thought she was full of it too and smoking the same stuff they accused me of.

I also know of a cow elk getting hit on I25 near the river at the Isleta res..near the Black Mesa. This was in the mid-late 90's.

Hey guys i know it sounds hard to believe that there is elk near caballo but after seeing 2 different herds of over 50 in the middle of the desert near Van Horn TX i will believe it. There is a ranch i guide on and we shoot 3 bulls and 5 cows a year off of it. It is 10 miles south of Van Horn and there are always elk there in the alfalfa feilds.

>Hey guys i know it sounds
>hard to believe that there
>is elk near caballo but
>after seeing 2 different herds
>of over 50 in the
>middle of the desert near
>Van Horn TX i will
>believe it. There is a
>ranch i guide on and
>we shoot 3 bulls and
>5 cows a year off
>of it. It is 10
>miles south of Van Horn
>and there are always elk
>there in the alfalfa feilds.
>

I certainly believe that. I work with a guy that used to cowboy on a ranch down around Alpine and they take a couple elk off of it every year too.

It is true they are there. Use to be a nice 6x6 bull with the cows but I haven't seen him in a while. also seen a few cows closer to TorC down on the river.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom