Susanville #1 Outdoor Town?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Kilo posted this link, on another thread, of a study concerning Best Places to Live if your an Outdoorsmen. Susanville ranked as the highest California town. I'm not overly surprised by this but live only 35 miles away from there and have hunted and fished plenty of places throught Northern Kalie. Would i rank Susanville #1?, probably not. How about you guys? What's your top pick?

http://www.outdoorlife.com/article_gallery.jsp?ID=1000019027

Slide,

Gotta admitt that Siskiyou Co has a ton to offer the outdoorsmen. Hard to go wrong but could you be a little more precise as to town, Doris, Yreka, Happy Camp, or do you like Weed? Just couldn't help it! lol

Hey, i saw your post about getting your son on some bucks, i'm envious. Good for you man!

joey

Joey, "Or do you like WEED?" Sounds like a LOADED question. Nothing like stirring the POT. Actually, I'am partial to Ruth, CA. Home of monster blacktail bucks.

Rick, Wow Dude! lol,

Geeze, i thought that MY joke was bad! lol

Ruth huh? Don't know it much but i had been doing some blacktail website scouting, easier on the wallet, and that area keeps popping up. Why's that? Not sure now who's page i was looking at but that outfitter took, yes indeed, some huge freaking monster Blackies. Must have decent fishing and bird hunting close by as well huh? How about the amount of decent hunting on public ground? Strong consideration must be given to that area in this poll. Average Joe gotta be able to get out and about without locked gates and no trespassing signs everywhere he looks.

Nice hearing from you Rick,

joey

12 miles from Susanville and can't complain. X4, X6A, and X5B all right there. NE Kali elk 90 minutes away. Great chukar an hour away. Eagle Lake trout 30 minutes away. Antelope Lake largemouth 45 minutes. Lake Almanor smallies 45 minutes. Decent pheasants 15 minutes. Fair ducks and geese 15 minutes. If you can get on private, quail huntin is excellent. Reno's an hour from my house.

Other than being in Kali, its great.

Alturas would be better for the waterfowler but when I was into that, I was in Alturas or Bieber 20-30 days a year. Only 1 1/4 hours in good weather.

Steve, For some reason, i'm thinking that with Slayer, a lot would depend on how many pref. points you had. lol

joey

Susanville is a pretty good pick. As long as you stay away from Chester. LOL! j/k Joey! I love Almanor and Eagle Lake. On down to Oroville. Burney would be another nice place. Fall River Mills too.

Ruth! One little store/gas station. A great central location for blacktail hunting. Mostly public land. I grew up on Southfork Mountain. Pickett Peak to Horse Ridge. Out the other way past the Race Track to Blake Mtn. Many, many bucks died up there. Ruth Lake has good trout fishing. Some bass. Mad River below the dam used to be great trout fishing. Mountain quail, grouse.

Eureka used to be a great place if you liked waterfowl and saltwater fishing. Clamming. Steelhead/Salmon fishing. And it's only 2 hours from Ruth.:)

Eel

I'm gonna weigh in my opinion at this time. I like Burney for my first place vote. 4-5 years ago, because of cheaper real estate prices in Burney at the time, i put my property for sale and had it sold, i was moven to Burney. Nice little town surounded by lots of places to hunt and fish. The winters aren't bad, easy to access all of Northern Cali, the whole outdoor scene, from right there and did i mention the winters aren't bad.

For those that like fly fishing, have never floated Fall River for Good sized rainbows taken sight fishing with tiny dry flies, it's a must do IMO, world class stuff and though i've done the trip only a dozen times or so, i'd love to be a local and do it a lot more. Then there is Hat Creek and the Pit River plus smaller creeks and trickels abound, all with public access or on public ground.

Bieber, up the road has great waterfowl hunting, deer are to be had by them that know, Mountain Quail get ran over regularly, plus Burney is just a neat little town with good services and lots of honest regular folks.

Maybe even someday the deer hunting will become near as good as it used to be.

This whole corner of Kali is pretty good if you have to be n Kali

Almost moved to Bieber in 94, Cheaper land and less people.

Wiszard, Don't care bout your PPs or need a roommate but I have a dry, warm basement thats always availible. My old waterfowl partner used to sleep there when he came up from Sacto.

For all you folks interested,North East Kalifornia is a terrible place! Nothing but sage. No deer, elk, geese, ducks, wabbits, quail, chukar, grouse, sage hen, dove, yotes, small mouth, large mouth, perch, trout, nothin'. A great place to stay away from!
Norkal

All kidding aside for the guys that live up in the N.E. corner of Kali what do you do for a living.I live in the Bay area and would love to move up to a area like that.But i figure it's gotta be hard to make a good living in that area or am i wrong?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-08 AT 02:56AM (MST)[p]
Slayer, Agreed 100%, and if it weren't for all of Kali's BS gun laws, taxes, and high costs of living, it be even better.

Larrbo, We gotta hookup bud!

Norkal, Agreed!, No, Antelope, small varments, wild pidgeons, or catfish either.

oilcan,
Concerning Chester, Lake Almanor area, i can't speak for everybody, but for me it was a trade off, one that was easy to make because there was only me to consider. When i moved to these mountains, i had a hundred dollar bill left after the expence of moving and renting a small cabin by the month. I still don't have a job that includes health benefits or a retirement. i work construction. It's been slow this past year as most places.

Some wait all their lives, living where they don't really like, going to a job that they like even less, in hopes to be able to move up here someday to retire. I've seen hundreds move here to complete or fufill their dream only to be disapointed because they were too old to fully enjoy the area, the fishing wasn't as "easy" as they expected, or because they took on a task of building their dream home which kept them too busy or were never able to complete. Snow and cold winters need getting used to, new friends don't just sign on the waiting list here, and yes jobs especially good jobs if you need one can be hard to come by, many ended up pulling up stakes for the south.

Anyone wanting to move near here, IMO, should already have a patient, thrifty, and understanding mate, most all their bills paid, and a good job lined up before they move here. I only had the no bills part, that was 25 years ago now, then again, i traded security for lifestile and there were some tough times, especially early on, in between. Then again, so very many absolutly wonderful days afield. No regrets.

Joey,

I hear that the ramp by the dam is now open. Need to get my boat up there and start trolling. The lake is still frozen behind my cabin on the west shore.

Larry

Hey Larry, I believe your info to be true. A couple days of good winds, oximoron, will really help to clear the lake of ice. Last couple weeks have just been beautiful.

I'm curious as to your experiences at hunting as well as those on Almanor. Any corespondence thru e-mail or PM welcome.

joey

susanville sucks.........many towns are better to hunters and fishermans...
rm

Oilcan, Susanville is a Government town first and a prison town second. As a County seat has HQs for CHP, Cal-Fire, Forest Service, BLM, County courts, Unemployeement office, DMV, and more I can't think of.

The 2 local prisons employee approx 2500. Everything from Maintenance, Clerical, Accounting, Procurement, Medical, Peace Officers, Landscapers, Teachers and Vocational Instructors.

If you research the beginning of this post, Susanville was rated first in KALI and 29th nation wide. The criteria wasn't just hunting but employeement, average cost of house, etc.

Huntin & Fishing spots got a lot more crowded when they opened the 2nd prison.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom