Suutheastern Utah Turkeys

carnicero

My teenage son and I drew LE southeastern turkey tags this year. This is a new area for us- I've never had the opportunity to hunt any game down there, so I am beginning to collect info on this region. I am planning on making contact w/ the upland game progam coordinator, project leader, and regional conservation officers w/ the UDWR. We might be able to get down there one time to scout prior to the hunt. Its a big area- La Sals, San Juan/Elk Ridge, Abajo Mtns, Henry Mtns, etc. etc. Anyways, I wanted to post to see if anyone is willing to provide any information or tips on this region, if so please PM me. Thank you.

Lots of birds was on the Abajo Mtns last time I was there.
Good numbers on the north side and pipeline road had 3-4 flocks on it. Saw a flock on wagon wheel loop. Good place to find birds.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Well, I don't know where Suutheastern Utah is but.... Gator it has been a while since you were on the Abajo's eh? The turkeys on elk ridge and abajo's took a nose dive 2 years ago and are struggling to make a come back. There are still a few here and there but nothing like it used to be 3 springs ago.

Todd Black

Visit our YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/bulls4bto?feature=mhum

That was the last year I drew a tag was 2 years ago. LOL
But I know a couple of guys up there that took turkeys last year, they didn't say it was a bad year and they got their turkeys in just a few days so I figured they had made a comeback already.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

It went from feast to famine down there. Last year was really bad. I spoke with a fish & game officer that said he thought it was close to an 85% winter kill over the past two winters. Lots of predators took advantage of birds being concentrated in the deep snow. All I know is that three years ago there were a lot of birds and the past two years it was tough to find anything. Good luck...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom