SW Montana Elk Hunting

completesportsman

Long Time Member
I live in NC and hunted SW Montana in 2006 and 2007 both during the 1st week of rifle season, DIY and on public land. I got a decent 5x4 in 2006, my first elk and my buddy got a 5x4 this year that was his first elk.
We have hunted CO several times before MT. In CO we did not shoot any elk but the elk were in out of the way places in the mountains and if you got away from other hunters you saw elk.
In MT we did get elk but it was a little frustrating becuause the elk where we hunted were not up in the mountains and as far away from roads/trails like we were expecting. We hunted in Madison Co in the Tobacco Root Range and in the Ruby Range. We only hunted restriced areas that only allowed foot travel. Almost all of the elk we saw were early in the am leaving the private crop lands where there was alfalfa and hay fields and heading back up the mountains only a short way and then bedding in small canyons.
I really wanted to get a shot at a big elk this year and all the locals in the area said I would need to get farther back. But the farther back we went the less elk sign and elk we saw. It seemed like the elk were hanging around the private crop lands. Both elk we took were around 6000' elevation. I told my buddy we were hunting urban elk not wilderness elk!
Is this the norm for hunting in SW MT?
I looked at the Pioneer Range and it seemed like a pretty big range, I thought maybe if we got back in there we could find some good elk but if it is like everywhere else we tried the elk seemed to pull out of the mountians and get down to the agricultural areas. I have only hunted MT twice so I don't know if weather conditions in the mountains the last two years had an affect or if this is pretty normal for the area in late October.
I guess its hard to learn an area or try many different areas in just 7 days.
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, we plan on applying again in 2008.

everything stayed really low this year all over western montana. its so dry up high that alot of game is sticking to irrigated fields. my elk area near butte this year is the same way, the elk are already down low in their wintering area.

They're smart; they don't get shot at as much on the private land. And a bunch of rich ba$tards from out of state have bought up ranches and don't let anybody on, so they create a refuge every fall. But on the other hand, I would bet my best bird dog that you didn't see any really BIG bulls down with the cows on the private...why? They were up high, just like the locals told you. But even when there's alot of them, there ain't many of them...which is why you didn't see any sign. Look alittle harder up high next time, and be prepared to eat a tag for the next 3 or 4 years and you just might kill a whopper. They don't come easy, contrary to what the magazine writers would have you believe.

---------------------------------------
This is my post

I've just pissed in my pants.......and nobody can do anything about it.

Thanks old_man_of_the_hills,
We infact did not see any BIG bulls. The biggest we saw was a high 200's 6 point, he was in a farmers alfalfa field and we were told he had paid hunters coming in opening day, there were several 5 point bulls too but no big ones. The biggest we saw on public lands was a small 6x5 less than 200". We will look harder higher next year and plan on seeing less elk but hopefully the BIG ONE! It's hard to chew on those $650 Non-Res tags for 42 hrs driving home!

Old_man...
You're correct about ranches getting bought up. That happened to a big ranch outside Dillon where I hunted in '00 and '01.Lost a nice hunting spot.

Complete...
Congrats on your and your buddy's elk.
We weren't as lucky back then,but might try again next season-hunting out of Dillon and Alder.

Herb

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom