Good Luck Everyone

D_Hoyt

Good luck to everyone in the Utah big game draws this year. I’m very glad that we only have to wait a few weeks rather than several months to get back our results in 2024.

If I were a betting man, I’d wager that I’ll strike out on limited entry elk with 22 points, but that I will draw a mountain goat permit with 20 points this year. 🐐

Good luck everyone!!!

Who Was it A Few years Back That Just Knew He'd Drawed A Couple Tags & Was Pacing The Floor After Checking His CC?

Then He Found Out Later His Wife Had Used His CC For Some Victoria's Secrets Goods!

When I Asked Him If He Had Seen Any Of Them Goods Yet He Got Really PISSY!:D
I remember that, but I cannot remember who it was, pretty funny

Who Was it A Few years Back That Just Knew He'd Drawed A Couple Tags & Was Pacing The Floor After Checking His CC?

Then He Found Out Later His Wife Had Used His CC For Some Victoria's Secrets Goods!

When I Asked Him If He Had Seen Any Of Them Goods Yet He Got Really PISSY!:D
You have to admit. That's funny.

Same To Ya D_Hoyt!

Don't Know Where You Put In For The Mountain Goat But The Numbers On The South Slope Have Sure Went Down In Recent Years!
Do you attribute this to winterkill?

It is very disheartening that our goat herds are not growing by 5 to 15% every year resulting in two or three more tags each year.

Last edited:

It is very disheartening that our goat herds are not growing by 10 to 20% every year resulting in two or three more tags each year.
All the Uintah units lost 20-30% of the mountain goat population during the winter of all winters and hunters took too many nannies in 2023. So, DWR recommended cutting permits for 2024. I did put in for one of those units because I can be up there in 40 minutes from my house. There are still goats, but they are not as plentiful as they were a few years ago. I’m up for the challenge.

Goats don’t reproduce anywhere near as fast as deer and elk. That’s why shooting nannies is so discouraged.

The 22-23 Winter Didn't Help Things!

But They've Been Getting Over-Hunted For Several Years As Well!

Mountain Goat Management For The Last many Years Has Been Like A Double Edged Sword!

I Remember Back In The Day It Was Billies Only!

The Way It Should Have Always Been!

But I Also Remember When I Started Seeing Nannies With Longer Horns Than Alot Of The Billies!

To Average JOE BLOW Hunter That Hasn't Spent Some Time In The Backwoods Can't Tell A Billy From A Nanny!

Quite A Few Nannies Got Shot By Joe Blows That Thought They Were Shooting a Billy!

Quite A Few Nannies Were Left To ROT After Joe Blow Starts The Gutting Process & See's It's Not A Billy!

And Then Moves On To Shoot Another Goat!

When The DWR Made It An Either Sex Hunt I Had Mixed Emotions!

I Was Kinda Glad In A Way,Maybe Fewer Goats Would Be Wasted?

I Don't Like Hunting Females Of Any Species,They Are What Puts New Life On The Ground!

I Also Knew The Goats Would Get Over Hunted!

Goats Seem To Be A tough Animal!

I've Seen Many Of Them Winter At 8000'-9000' In Elevation & They could'of Moved Lower If They Needed to!

I've Seen The Numbers Getting Lower & Lower For Many Years Now Long Before the 22-23 Winter So They Can't Blame That Winter On The Goat Numbers Of Today!

Everybody/Every Hunter Wants A Billy!

The Last Several Years Here Where We Are Not Every Goat Hunter Could Find A Billy!

So Towards The End Of Their Hunt What Did Most Of Them Do Since It's A OIL Hunt?

Some Of Them Resorted To Shoot Nannies!

It's Legal!

I'm Not Mad At Them!

But Here The HELL We Are!

They Can Baffle Alot Of People With The 22-23 Winter Which Didn't Help Matters But There's A Little More To It Than That On The Mountain Goats!

Good Hunters Are Still Gonna Find Them A Billy But They're Also Gonna Earn Them With Way More Work Than It Once Was!

It is very disheartening that our goat herds are not growing by 10 to 20% every year resulting in two or three more tags each year.

Mountain Goat Management For The Last many Years Has Been Like A Double Edged Sword!

But I Also Remember When I Started Seeing Nannies With Longer Horns Than Alot Of The Billies!

To Average JOE BLOW Hunter That Hasn't Spent Some Time In The Backwoods Can't Tell A Billy From A Nanny!

Quite A Few Nannies Got Shot By Joe Blows That Thought They Were Shooting a Billy!

Quite A Few Nannies Were Left To ROT After Joe Blow Starts The Gutting Process & See's It's Not A Billy!

I Don't Like Hunting Females Of Any Species,They Are What Puts New Life On The Ground!

I've Seen Many Of Them Winter At 8000'-9000' In Elevation & They could'of Moved Lower If They Needed to!

I've Seen The Numbers Getting Lower & Lower For Many Years Now Long Before the 22-23 Winter So They Can't Blame That Winter On The Goat Numbers Of Today!

The Last Several Years Here Where We Are Not Every Goat Hunter Could Find A Billy!

So Towards The End Of Their Hunt What Did Most Of Them Do Since It's A OIL Hunt?

It's Legal!

I'm Not Mad At Them!

They Can Baffle Alot Of People With The 22-23 Winter Which Didn't Help Matters But There's A Little More To It Than That On The Mountain Goats!

Good Hunters Are Still Gonna Find Them A Billy But They're Also Gonna Earn Them With Way More Work Than It Once Was!
You are correct that it is a lot more than a few nannies and one bad winter. Look at what happened on Willard Peak. I saw 200 goats on WP circa 2018 helping a friend get his 13 year old goat. Now, there might be 40. I figure I should burn my points soon while we still have goat to hunt in Utah.

I Remember Probably The Best Day Me & My Son Ever Had At Seeing Goats In One Day!

140+ In One Day!

That Ain't Gonna Happen Again!

It's Legal!

I'm Not Mad At Them!

If you don’t like hunting females of any species then you’ve never been on a good cougar hunt😁

Good luck everyone. Being a nr im sure I won’t have much to add in the success category

All the Uintah units lost 20-30% of the mountain goat population during the winter of all winters and hunters took too many nannies in 2023. So, DWR recommended cutting permits for 2024. I did put in for one of those units because I can be up there in 40 minutes from my house. There are still goats, but they are not as plentiful as they were a few years ago. I’m up for the challenge.

Goats don’t reproduce anywhere near as fast as deer and elk. That’s why shooting nannies is so discouraged.
When I applied for Kamas 3 years ago they had 11 tags, this year I believe it’s one.

Good luck to you too Dillon.! I imagine the LE elk hunt you put in for must be a premium type hunt as there are some good tags out there you could get with that many points.? I hope you draw buddy!

I Think There Is Or There Is Gonna Be A Big Cut!

Last year On An Added Cow Hunt In The Book Cliffs There Wasn't One Hunter That Even Seen A Buffalo On That Hunt!

Last I Heard They Were Gonna Re-Issue Them Tags To Them Same Hunters?

I Don't Know For Sure What Happened On That?

But I Do Know This:

The Bison Numbers Have Been Dropping At A Perty Good Rate & We Add A Cow Hunt?

JFP!

Didn’t they recommend cutting bison tags nearly in half this year?

I Think There Is Or There Is Gonna Be A Big Cut!

Last year On An Added Cow Hunt In The Book Cliffs There Wasn't One Hunter That Even Seen A Buffalo On That Hunt!

Last I Heard They Were Gonna Re-Issue Them Tags To Them Same Hunters?

I Don't Know For Sure What Happened On That?

But I Do Know This:

The Bison Numbers Have Been Dropping At A Perty Good Rate & We Add A Cow Hunt?

JFP!
I'm seeing Buffalo in places I never used to see them, maybe they are just expanding out further than they used to. Couple good herds over on the east side that never used to have any.

You're Apt To Find A Few Scattered Throughout The Book Cliffs!

But They Have Been Hit Hard The Last Few Years!

Hey JakeH?

Do You Know If The DWR Re-Issued The Tags For That Group Of Hunters Or Not?

I'm seeing Buffalo in places I never used to see them, maybe they are just expanding out further than they used to. Couple good herds over on the east side that never used to have any.

You're Apt To Find A Few Scattered Throughout The Book Cliffs!

But They Have Been Hit Hard The Last Few Years!

Hey JakeH?

Do You Know If The DWR Re-Issued The Tags For That Group Of Hunters Or Not?
Yes I'm pretty sure they did, but they didn't issue new permits for that hunt this year.

They talked about it at one of the other RAC'S and that is what I gathered from watching it. Sounded like they likely would discontinue that hunt after this year but don't quote me on that.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom