Mule Deer Proposal

No, purchase of a CWMU tag should not cost points because this would disincentivize people from buying these tags and it could jeopardize the whole CWMU program.
I would be fine getting rid of the whole scam of the CWMU program. More land has been locked up and public locked out of since the start of this program. And dont give me the whole public gets tags crap. They get a fraction. 1 or 2 guys gets to hunt. And usually, they can bring no more than 4 people to help. The one we talked to about moose a few years ago for an old guy, they said we could only have 3 people total. Try to get a moose down and out with 2 people, since the old guy was barely packing the rifle. I have seen lands added to CWMU where we used to get permission to hunt from family or friends. Not anymore.

The CWMU program needs some tweaks made to it, but this thread is just about how to move deer hunters through the pool.

That said, I see very little chance any CWMU drops out of the program if the hunters that purchase tags lose their points.

If the person in this thread wouldn’t have bought the tag, someone else would have. It’s going to become a time very soon where people have to make hard decisions when it comes to applying for big game in Utah. We need to make it so some people can no longer have their cake and eat it too.

Get a permit, lose your points. No exceptions.

I have been a very vocal proponent of taking all expo and conservation tags and returning them to the state draw. This would be the single biggest help to point creep we could do. However, if they took people’s points if they drew or purchased those tags, I could stomach it a little better than I do now.

Same goes for CWMUs. A person gets a maximum of one buck deer tag in Utah a year. And when they get it, they zero out their points. It needs to happen if we are serious about point creep.

I've said for years that ANY CWMU tag should cost a person their Bonus Points. Draw it, lose your points (like now). Buy it, lose your points. Given it, lose your points. Its an LE tag, it has to cost you LE bonus points. No wait period for purchased or gifted CWMU tags, so they can be purchased or gifted every year. I wouldn't mind that. Just keep them out of the public unit draws. It will help improve point creep. IMO

The CWMU program needs some tweaks made to it, but this thread is just about how to move deer hunters through the pool.

That said, I see very little chance any CWMU drops out of the program if the hunters that purchase tags lose their points.

If the person in this thread wouldn’t have bought the tag, someone else would have. It’s going to become a time very soon where people have to make hard decisions when it comes to applying for big game in Utah. We need to make it so some people can no longer have their cake and eat it too.

Get a permit, lose your points. No exceptions.

I have been a very vocal proponent of taking all expo and conservation tags and returning them to the state draw. This would be the single biggest help to point creep we could do. However, if they took people’s points if they drew or purchased those tags, I could stomach it a little better than I do now.
Hey Nilly?

Have You Talked With PEAYDAY At All On Getting Them tags Back?

I'm Asking Nicely!

Waiting To See Your RANT Of A Reply!

Same goes for CWMUs. A person gets a maximum of one buck deer tag in Utah a year. And when they get it, they zero out their points. It needs to happen if we are serious about point creep.

That's kind of a big ask if you want my opinion. But you didn't.

Is there something inherently wrong with losing points no matter how a tag is procured?

Why would it decrease participation? After all it's about getting a tag. Another opportunity. Get a tag go to the back of the line.

Simple.

I love how government agencies take your money, and then feel the need to to change the rules to regulate every aspect of our lives. Has it occurred to anyone that the vast majority of those Lifetime License holders are 60+yrs old. How many 60yr old's are getting after it in Utah's mountains. Most are barely getting out of the truck to their UTV, to enjoy a ride up the mtn on opening weekend. I bought my LL on the last day they were offered, and I was 18, (I'm 51 now). LL holders aren't the problem for Utah's deer herd management. For the record, I have killed 1 Utah buck in the last 20yrs (sounds like we are the problem).
They sure were happy to take our $500 for a LL, when you could buy your annual hunting license for under $30 each yr. What bad decisions was our LL money bailing them out of then? Makes me wonder if the UDWR is a government agency? It sounds like it's run very similar to a Social Security program...

I would be fine getting rid of the whole scam of the CWMU program. More land has been locked up and public locked out of since the start of this program. And dont give me the whole public gets tags crap. They get a fraction. 1 or 2 guys gets to hunt. And usually, they can bring no more than 4 people to help. The one we talked to about moose a few years ago for an old guy, they said we could only have 3 people total. Try to get a moose down and out with 2 people, since the old guy was barely packing the rifle. I have seen lands added to CWMU where we used to get permission to hunt from family or friends. Not anymore.
I wasn’t necessarily trying to defend the CWMU program, just saying that making people use their points to purchase a CWMU tag is not going to sit well with the CWMU hunters or owners. I have had mixed experiences with CWMUs and I really don’t have any strong feelings one way or another if the CWMU program is worth preserving.

As far as CWMU rules concerning the number of non-hunter helpers, I wish hunters would self-regulate the number of helpers hunts. One or two helpers in the field should be enough for most hunts. At some point, it becomes a matter of fair chase, pitting the hunters abilities against the wariness and abilities of the game.

I wasn’t necessarily trying to defend the CWMU program, just saying that making people use their points to purchase a CWMU tag is not going to sit well with the CWMU hunters or owners. I have had mixed experiences with CWMUs and I really don’t have any strong feelings one way or another if the CWMU program is worth preserving.

But this proposal shared isn’t about CWMU’s and making their operators happy. It’s about moving people through the deer pool and point creep. If we are serious about addressing point creep, how CWMU operators feel about selling their tags should not crack the top 100 issues to consider when making a change like this. It probably shouldn’t be considered at all.

As far as CWMU rules concerning the number of non-hunter helpers, I wish hunters would self-regulate the number of helpers hunts. One or two helpers in the field should be enough for most hunts. At some point, it becomes a matter of fair chase, pitting the hunters abilities against the wariness and abilities of the game.

So on my general deer hunt next, do you have any advise for which of my 3 daughters doesn’t get to come with? Or maybe I should tell my wife she isn’t welcome as that just isn’t fair chase to have them all with me?

I get that we all hunt for different reasons, and I think there is room in the field for all those reasons, but if we ever get to the point that we are claiming our ethics mandate we can’t hunt with our family and friends, count me out. I’ll just go fly fishing and leave the elitist snobbery to this new age hunter that thinks it’s about things other than the relationships and memories.

I can’t imagine how many opportunities my dad sacrificed to drag his boys along with him from very early ages, but I’m grateful he did. It’s a pretty sad state of affairs these days what hunting is becoming. It looks very little like it did back in the 80s when I was introduced to it. And that isn’t a good thing.

But this proposal shared isn’t about CWMU’s and making their operators happy. It’s about moving people through the deer pool and point creep. If we are serious about addressing point creep, how CWMU operators feel about selling their tags should not crack the top 100 issues to consider when making a change like this. It probably shouldn’t be considered at all.

So on my general deer hunt next, do you have any advise for which of my 3 daughters doesn’t get to come with? Or maybe I should tell my wife she isn’t welcome as that just isn’t fair chase to have them all with me?
So Nilly?

The Good News Is Dad Might Not Be Hunting For A While!:D

Now Before You Get All PISSY Nilly!

I'm Not Trying To Raise Your Blood Pressure!

Out Of Your 3 Daughters I'd Guess There's Fairly Good Chance That A Couple Tags Could Maybe Be Drawn!

The One/Ones That Don't Draw Let Em Earn Some Points!

Worst Case Scenario: Rotate Them 3 Daughters On The Mentoring System With Your LL!

Why Can't The Daughter/Daughters That Don't Have a Tag/Tags Trail Along With You?

This Is Where I Was trying To SPLAIN To You About The Future Hunting For Our Future Generations Of Youth When You went On One Of Your Rants Again!

Best Of Luck To All On The Draws!

I get that we all hunt for different reasons, and I think there is room in the field for all those reasons, but if we ever get to the point that we are claiming our ethics mandate we can’t hunt with our family and friends, count me out. I’ll just go fly fishing and leave the elitist snobbery to this new age hunter that thinks it’s about things other than the relationships and memories.

I can’t imagine how many opportunities my dad sacrificed to drag his boys along with him from very early ages, but I’m grateful he did. It’s a pretty sad state of affairs these days what hunting is becoming. It looks very little like it did back in the 80s when I was introduced to it. And that isn’t a good thing.

I was told only one, maybe two non-tag holders should be allowed on hunts. Any more than that would be a violation of fair chase.

I was just responding to the opinion shared with a question asking for advice if I followed that opinion.

So?

Is That An MM Law/Rule?

I was told only one, maybe two non-tag holders should be allowed on hunts. Any more than that would be a violation of fair chase.

I was just responding to the opinion shared with a question asking for advice if I followed that opinion.

I suggested that hunters self-regulate the number of helpers they bring with them, as a matter of fair chase. I did not suggest any new rules, especially if they would be unenforceable. I’ve been there myself bringing my wife and young kids. This is not an issue for me in the slightest way. You are not creating a question of fair-chase under these circumstances so I’m not even sure why you bring it up?

Last edited:
I didn’t bring it up. You did. You are the one that said one or two helpers and anything else violates fair chase.

I was just wondering how your ethics would work out my problem for me. I want to be ethical, after all!

But mostly just wanted to show how ridiculous of a statement I think that is. I’d rather go home empty handed with family and friends to share the memories with than kill something big on my own. I do it for different reasons than you do, and that’s okay. Just don’t go making fake boundaries suggesting that your way is superior to others. Do it your way and enjoy it. Let others do the same.

I didn’t bring it up. You did. You are the one that said one or two helpers and anything else violates fair chase.

I was just wondering how your ethics would work out my problem for me. I want to be ethical, after all!

But mostly just wanted to show how ridiculous of a statement I think that is. I’d rather go home empty handed with family and friends to share the memories with than kill something big on my own. I do it for different reasons than you do, and that’s okay. Just don’t go making fake boundaries suggesting that your way is superior to others. Do it your way and enjoy it. Let others do the same.
You are suggesting things that go way beyond what I wrote or intended to say. If you can’t understand what I was trying to say, then this conversation is hopeless.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom