Swan mount

S

studpile

Lookin' for a good taxidermist to do a Swan mount...any suggestions in the Salt Lake / Utah county area?

Hey Pile,

You could always ship it to Montana for about 5 years. ;-)

Haven't needed a taxidermist for years. Can't get nothing worth mounting. Someone else will have to help ya. Kirkham and Gallegos are the only two names that come to mind in Provo/Orem. Looks like people are coming out in waves to help ya. Change your name to Mrs. Studpile, then they'll help.

How about Tooele County? I had Custom Touch Taxidermy in Erda do mine last year. It was a standing mount and it turned out excellent in my opinion, plus I only paid like $350 (compared to $425-$450 in SLC). They also did my Canadian and my Mallard. If your interested, they can be reached here:

Custom Touch Taxidermy
4374 Droubay Rd.
Erda, UT 84074
Scott Hildebrand (435)882-8056
Bill Hildebrand (435)882-4228
(435)882-2263

-Lucas :)~

http://www.monstermuleys.com/cgi-bin/stories/site.pl?page=lucasdavis10103

Yeah KTC...I know the individual you're referring to left some pretty pissed off people around here when he drug up. Let me know how Lukes did in Vernon will ya?

Lucdavis...thanks for the input. I'll give them a call tomorrow on my day off.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-04 AT 07:58PM (MST)[p]Check your pm "Muffpile." ;-) Your new name has a nice ring.

Maybe a chukar soon? Let me get rid of this damn flu/cold I have and get the rest of me straight and we can go.

Studpile
Check out Luke Christensen 801-423-1517. He is just starting but won an award at the BYU show and from what I have seen does pretty good work. His brother works with us.
Get ahold of me.

KTC
Funny story
Right before our "Bud" left I ran into him in Harts. He was face to face with a guy that was taking a chunk from his ass about a moose he had for 5 years. The whole time he was saying he would have it done at the end of the month. Well not 3 days later he had packed up amd moved.
I ended up writing off a pheasant he had but I guess I got off lucky.

Rest easy Steve.

I would bet your pheasant is on someones wall. Or at least parts of it. :)

I doubt the pheasant is on anyones wall. You just cannot get enough money from selling mounts as you can for doing the work for the customer. To others it doesnt' mean anything. But thats another subject.

With birds(as with anything really) you have to be careful on price. IMHO, having been a taxidermist and still doing it here and there, birds are one thing that you can short change seriously while skinning and fleshing, get them done quick, use the feathers to cover up a lot and charge a little and get it out. BUT that sloppy of a mount will not last over the years. So you could get a good looking mount that will fall apart. Talk to clients that have the persons work for years. With taxidermy you have to spend the bucks both on interior prep work and exterior. Not just exterior.

You also have to watch folks that get ribbons. To earn a ribbon at a show on a deer head you often have to have 100 hours in the mount to win. And of course realistically you can't pay for that. So while the ribbon looks good to the lay, make sure you see normal work and talk to folks again. I'm not saying ribbons are bad but they can be used to show things that will not be recieved.

Cost wise there is one thing I know you can take into consideration comparing costs. Overhead. If a person does it out of their house it can be much less. I still have a shop that I use at times. The only thing running in it most of the time are a few freezers. Thats 125 bucks a month elec., extra insurance and maintenance vs the person that does it out of the basement at home. That can account for a lower or higher price.

Jeff

Kind of an inside joke rost. No need for a taxidermy business lesson.;-)

Here is a story for ya rost. Shot a mallard. Nice, not blown up, great shape. Took it to a taxidermist. Asked him if he wanted it for parts or any other reason. He said nah, wait a minute, pulled one out that a kid brought, it was blown up and bloody. Put mine in the freezer and said the kid will get mine. "Not nearly the work and he will never know."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom