Swaro binos

H

huntelk8863

I need some input, I am ready to shell out the bucks for a pair of Swaro binos, just not sure which ones to buy. I can find good reasons to get any one of the options, just looking for some insight from someone who has a pair.

Thanks

I bought a pair of 15x56 Swaros from Doug @ Cameraland and I haved used them on one hunt. I really believe as I use them more it will enable me to spot more game and to enhance hunting opportunities. For long distance glassing they are great.
I would recommend Doug.

Compare them in low light side by side and see which you like best. For me, I could see better through the SLC's then through the EL's, which made the choice easy given that the EL's are so much more expensive (only advantage they really seemed to have was being lighter). Don't go with anything over 10 power unless you plan do use them only on a tripod.

You will be pleased with any Swarovski bino you choose.

Mark

There are a couple of choices you need to make;

8X or 10X
If you hunting takes you to a lot of thick woods, or areas where glassing is mostly under 300 yards, lean towards 8X.
If you hands are not super steady, 8X.
If most of your binocular work is in open country, with lots of 300 yard + work, and you are comfortable holding them steady, think 10X.

30mm or 40mm
80% of the time, 40mm is the way to go, works better at gathering light at dusk, dawn and overcast days. If size and weight are BIG concerns, 30mm might be better.

EL or SLC
Optically, many people believe the ELs are better. Ergonomically, no question ELs all the way, and they weigh less. On the other hand, the differences are minor, and the price difference is big

I use the 10X42 EL's and love them. I chose them over the SLC's only because of the weight issue. Yes, more money, no regrets on my part.

I too own a pair of the 15x56mm Swaro. Of all the Swaro options I bought these first. I live in Idaho and I have a 13 year old son who keeps drawing amazing tags. Being new to western big game hunting, but now seeing how big and wide open this country is I am learning how imp it is to find game up to 3 miles away. Well, if you live in country like me, no other glass will do it for you better. Yes using them offhand is not a good idea, at least not for very long. I don't use them attached to a tripod though. What I do is take my spotter, because these still aren't the magnification you need to judge deer, and the spotter is on the tripod. I simply rest my 15x's on my spotter, then drop down to the spotter to judge my animal. This works like no other combo, it's awesome. My understanding, and I may be wrong, is that there is no difference in the optical abilities of EL's vs. SLC's so ergonomics is what you are paying for. I also believe there is no better low-light glass than my 15x56, when looking at long range.

I just picked up a 20-60x85MM Zeiss Diascope to enhance this experience. Now I can judge what I find at those long ranges.

The last piece of the puzzle for me will be a very handy pair of 8x30mm Zeiss Victory or Swaro SLC's for when I am either backpacking scouting or day to day hunting.

If I were you, what I would decide to do first would depend on a few things.

1) What is it like where you hunt. Are you looking miles in the rockies or plains states or are you looking only up to a mile or so. If the former, consider eventually looking at what I'm using. If the latter, then start with a good 10x bino and a spotter.

2) What do you have now. I had a pair of 10x Nikon Monarch bino's and a very decent Bushnell Elite 15-45x spotter. I did not have the 15x's. Now I am, budget willing, filling in the missing pieces.

3) What is your budget. While I love Swarovski's, and think that the EL's are the ultimate. The SLC's in bino's I believe are a much better value. In the spotters, the Zeiss Diascope is comparable to the Swaro 80MM HD, but has an 85MM lens and costs about $500 less and comes with a decent tripod and case, saving you about another $200. For what you could save there you could go buy the 8x30mm SLC's(approx $900). FYI, look at the birding sights for reviews, don't rely on Field and Stream or Outdoor Life.

4) Remember warranties. I eliminated Leica from contention because of their reputation. Now Swaro has an excellent reputation, but their Warranty is not transferrable so if you plan to buy used or sell them someday - beware. Zeiss has a full and transferable warranty, but I don't think their customers service reputation is equal to Swarovski, but I think it would rate an 8/10 to Swarovski's 11/10.

5. Other brands. If you really read others opinions and especially some unbiased reviews I think you will find some other brands that are excellent values. Nikon, Pentax, Minox, and on this site especially Vortex. These are all great glass, but considering things like warranty and resale I still like the top names all other things being equal, so unless I have a compelling reason I will try to buy Swaro or Zeiss in bino's or spotters.

One last pitch for the 15x's. Do a search on here, there is a post where about 10 guys talk about using the 15x's and how it is their go-to glass.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Brian

I too own the 10x42 EL?s and absolutely love them. I typically hunt open western country so the 10X seems right. If I were only hunting blacktail in the thick stuff I might lean towards the 8x32 EL?s only because the Swaro glass is so darn good. The decision on the EL ?vs- SLC was purely ergonomics for me. They just felt better in the hands. Typically I use them to scan distant areas to find a critter then use an ATS80 to judge him. You will be amazed at how well you can see well before shooting light. As soon as I reach my location well before shooting hour I immediately start glassing distant ridges, etc. With the naked eye you can't see much but as soon as you start glassing you can see surprisingly well. Don?t wait for the area to start to get light. I won't call it night vision but you'll probably see way more than you thought you would. In our sport you hear so many comments or read about how big bucks are heading to bed at first light. With today?s trophies getting so much pressure you need every ethical advantage you can get and in my opinion this is one I would not be without.

When we're Antelope hunting we typically are covering a lot of country in a truck so that's the only time we don't glass for long periods of time with the bino?s. We can look at a goat and tell if he's worth the spotting scope in 5 or 10 seconds.

I think if I had the 15?s I would without question have a tripod adapter as a steadying device to look over country for long periods of time (might have to have those before my eastern Nevada hunt this year, lol...).

One tip to think about (sorry if it's blaintenly obvious), when I'm glassing I always focus then ?lock? the bino to the underside of my hat brim with my index fingers on top of the brim. Seems like a simple thing but I see so many people just whip the glass up to their eyes and look for a short period of time. Try this and see if it doesn't seem to anchor them down just a little better.

Hope this helps. Any further questions feel free to pm me.

Todd

I WOULD GO WITH THE 15X56 BINOS SWORS WITH A TRI-POD AND MOUNT FOR THE BINOS. MAKES IT EASIER TO VEIW THE FEILD WITH TWO EYES. I FOUND IT MAKES SCOUTING MUCH EASIER.

FYI,

I just went by Sportsman's Warehouse last Friday to compare the Zeiss Victory 8x32($1600) with the Swaro 8x30 SLC($999). They had some new in the box, but a few years old black 8x30 SLC's for $750. I bought them and he threw in $35 worth of lens pens and straps. I scouted for Elk this weekend and I am SUPER happy with the performance of this glass.

Brian

I love the clairity and feel of my Swarovski's. The Leica are comprable but didn't feel as comfortable on my eyes.

For Packing around I love my 8x30 they are so clear. for long range you can't beat the 15x 56's on a tripod.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom