Swaro Digiscoping HD VIDEO

bugleboy

(also posted on optics category)

Hey all,

I'm purchasing the Swarovski 20-60x65 and the Swarovski DCA adapter.

What camera would you recommend to shoot HD video through this scope/adapter setup?

I've digiscoped in the past and know most of the ins and outs, but would like to know your opinion on which camera i should purchase to shoot HD video. I tried my Sony Handycam SR68 on this setup, but was unable to get rid of the black ring and when I zoomed in, no matter how close the lens was, it would not focus and had poor results. With the black ring, the setup worked great! I tried a canon point-n-shoot and i was able to zoom in and get rid of that black ring.

I'm open to all options of cameras, preferably a smaller point-n-shoot camera, maybe a small camcorder. I want to keep this as compact and lightweight as possible because I will be using it when I pack in a few miles.

I've looked at the Swarovski UCA and am familiar with that type of digiscoping adapter but I don't like the size of it to pack. I would like to stay with the DCA.

Any advice?

Any small point-n-shoot cameras that shoot Full HD 1920 x 1080 with a threaded lens?

Thanks! Any info would be greatly appreciated,

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-11 AT 10:40PM (MST)[p]Give me a shout bugleboy!!! I have just the set up for you to try.

The key is to find a 1080HD cam that has a small enough lens to look through the scope rather than at it or around it. On the other extreme is a DSLR lens that can never look inside the eyepice but will see half the frame outside the scope.

There are quite a few cams that will work. Get my number from Midnight and I'll show you which ones I've tried sometime when you get down this way!

Here's my latest cost effective set up. It's incredible when there's enough light. The tiny sensors in the small cams don't do so well when it gets dark out though.

Cheers,
Pete

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-11 AT 09:43AM (MST)[p]c3, that video and quality was straight up awesome!!!

I use the same tactic with a small lense inside the scopes eye piece. However, my camera quality isn't even close to that, nor capable of recording in 16;9 widescreen format.

What camera are you using?

It's a Sony dsc-wx5. Just a little 5x 12mpix 1080i job off ebay for $220 shipped with an 8 gig memory stick. As a cam it's really cool too. It has this sweep panorama that is awesome!

I'm also looking at the HX5V and the HX9 for digiscoping as they have more zoom and bit bigger lens.

The reason the sony's are so good is that they use the same chip and processor in their camcorders. It makes for great video straight through HDMI from this palm sized thing to your HDTV!

Cheers,
PEte

I watched some of your other youtube vids. Did you use the same camera on the scouting/motorbike trip? I ask because I was impressed with the auido as well. I've heard pretty crappy audio come out of some point and shoots, but it seems like yours was acceptable.

All my footage from 2010 is with a Panasonic HDC-TM700. It's an incredible cam, but you have to be too far away and zoom in with it too much with it.

It has 5.1 surround sound that is great, especially for bugling elk. The WX5 is not in the same game for audio.

It's forte is light weight, super small and great video for shooting through the spotting scope at moderate ranges. The stills with it are really good too. Much better than what I get with the video cam.

Cheers,
Pete

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom