Swaro SLC vs. EL

T264

I am going to buy either the swarovski 10x50 slc or the swaro 10x42 EL. I want to hear your opinions and experiences with each. Note: weight will not be a big factor in my decision.
Thanks in advance.
T264

The 15's almost always have to be used with a tripod. You can hold the EL's fairly steady by hand. I wear the EL's and carry the 15's in my pack with a good tripod when I sit to glass for a while. Think about what they'll be used for most.

About two years ago I was faced with a similar decision. In addition to the models you are considering, I was considering the Zeiss ClassiCs and a couple of Leica products. I recommend you do the same thing I did. Go to the store at dusk a couple of times and ask to take the binos outside (they should not have a problem with this as long as a store employee is available to accompany you, if they do, shop elsewhere), adjust each pair for your personal vision and start comparing on distant mailboxes, house numbers, street signs, fence posts, etc. It should become apparent to you which pair works best for your eyes (this will not be the same for everyone). I could not see anything clearly through the Leica's. The Zeiss are what I really wanted because of the weight and ergonomics but I ruled them out as well (again, for my eyes only they were not quite as good as the Swarovskis). In the end I narrowed it down to the very same two sets you are considering. As dusk shifted to near darkness I could still make things out through the SLCs that I could not through the ELs. Technically, I probably should have been able to see better through the ELs, but not so with my eyes (and I have perfect uncorrected vision). In the end it is simply what works best for you (and if you can save $500 by going with the SLCs then all the better).

Good luck in your decision.

Mark

i compared the two on saturday and bought the el. my brother also picked up the els and couldnt belive the light gathering of the els compared to the slcs.this all means nothing but they worked better on our eyes. MDB

I just looked at and through both the el 10x42 and the new 2005 model slc 10x50 at Cabela's. I have to be honest, the slc 's seemed just as clear and just as bright in my opinion. Only diference was the 13 ounces in weight. I was pretty surprised at how little of a diference(if any) I could see between the 2, especially for the price. Also looked through the 10x42 slc and was very impressed. thanks for the replies.
T264

1st- both of these optics will get the job done now matter what the occasion. 2nd- it only matters what your eyes tell you- the clarity can't be argued when dealing with this caliber of glass. 3rd- depending on whether or not you are going to mount them on a tripod or not. I do not like the stock mounting system for the EL's. However, there are a couple different systems out their that require custom work or buying aftermarket products. SLC's are much easier to mount. 4th- the fact that you get an extra 37ft of f.o.view with the SLC's is good. 5th-remember that the SLC's have a 50mm objective lens. This gives you an exit pupil of 5mm. This is significant b/c the average pupil of a human is 4-6mm. This means more light can transmit through your eyes. The EL's are at 4.2mm, which is still good. This means more light in lowlight conditions for the SLC's. Finally, I have had the chance to talk and glass with some of the best hunters around AZ. And when asked if they could choose just one binocular and a spotting scope the 10x50 SLC's was the #1 choice, hands down. With that being said, I would not feel less prepared to tear up an oppsing canyonside with the EL's. I would have saved $$$ though!! CDN

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom