Swaro Spotting Scope or Swaro 15X56???

medicinebow

Looking for some input on deciding whether to purchase a Swaro spotting scope or the swaro 15x56 binos. I've got a nikon spotting scope I've had for 8 years now and it's done me fine. However, it is time to upgrade. I've already got a set of 10x42 EL's. Most of my hunting takes place in wide open country where glassing for hours is normal. My question is: What would be the better utility purchase?

thx for the input.

MBBGH

First post, but it sounds like you are in the same situation I was in. I have swaro 10x42 slc and hunt mostly open country. I also had a nikon spotting scope and decided to buck up and get the swaro 20x60x80 HD spotting scope and could not be happier. To accuratly field judge a buck or bull at a mile and a half is priceless and saves the legs for the stalks you should be going on.

I have all of the optics that you are asking about. I use the spotting scope more often then the 15's, but for certain hunts the 15's can't be matched. I would buy the spotter first and then the 15's.

I have the 10x42 EL,s and a 20-60x65STS Love them both if i had to downgrade one of them it would be the bino's. Every serious hunter needs a good spotting scope.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-08 AT 07:25AM (MST)[p]My hunting buddy has Leica BRF 10x42, Swaro 15x56, and Swaro HD 20-60x80.
He starts his glassing with the 15x56 and if he sees something interesting he puts his spotting scope on it. Then he has his Leicas for the stalk.

Like these guys have said, a spotting scope is essential if you are serious. Initially, if you are just looking for horns (regardless of how big they are) the 15x56s would do nicely. I have been able to see horns at over a mile away. However, if you want to see if it's a 160 or a 180 class buck and if he has browtines and kickers or not, you will need the spotter.

Keep us posted on your decision.

I use the swaro 10x50 and this summer bought the swar 60hd and 80hd but I found that I'd use the 60 a lot more because of the size.

I had the bausch/lomb spotter and had no complaints. this year i upgraded to the swaro 80HD spotter. Its night and day better. I can tell a buck from a doe 3-4 miles if the heat waves dont blurr it out and the sun is bright. I can tell a good buck from a dink at 2 miles. Its also pretty sweet to have the digital camera adapter. Ive got a lot of good photos this fall, including a sequence of a pair of 6x5 bulls fighting. the customer service is awesome too. the thread adapter came unscrewed out of the bottom and they shipped me a new one withing 5 days. its become my prized piece of equipment.

I mentioned in a few earlier posts that I just went through this agony in the last two months. I had a hard time deciding between the 15X and a 65 mm scope (Both Swaros)

I too already own the 10X42 EL's. They do quite the job for me with a good tripod. I'll admit on a test run with the 15x they opened up a world the 10x cannot, however, they could not reach out with the distance and clarity of the 65 mm spotter.

I evntually went with a 65 mm non HD spotter and I am very happy! I still want a set of 15x, but I do not have enough cash to lay down another $2000.00. I think my compromise will be checking in with Paul about the new Vortex 15x with ED glass as my compromise.

It basically came down to cost of use for me. I will be wearing and using the 10x el's all the time (primary investment) I see myself pulling out the scope for a closer look before I would hit the 15x (secondary investment). So the 15x would get the least amount of use. However, they would still get use, but i just don't think I can justify 2 grand for the less often used optic. However, I would probably be willing to do so for a set of Vortex glass around $800 to $1000.

I think Swarovski will be better glass, but the Vortex will not be that far off and I think I can justify the cost per use principle and the "cost of marriage or late night verbal beating after seeing the credit card" principle. :)

my swaro 15's are my main bino and the best weapon I own. These posts are correct, a spotter is still needed to pick things apart at a distance but my strategy for now is this: I spend alot of time in the high country during the archery season and the past couple years I have left the spotter in camp and taken the 15's. At a mile I can tell from the frame of the buck if I want to go after him or not. That is good enough for me. A good tripod, head and Swaro 15's=hrs of fun glassing. All that being said, I just bought a pair of Zeiss 10x40 classics from my buddy to replace my windrivers. I am excited to use them, and eventually I will own a Swaro 65 angled spotter as well. To each their own but I am very glad I went with the 15's before the spotter. Good luck on your decision.

I owne the 10x42 EL's, the 15x56 SLC's and the 20x60x80 spotter. I mostly use the 10x42 EL's and the spotter. Its true that when you put the 15's on a tripod they are deadly but I can put my 10 power bino's on a tripod and they are almost just as deadly. I love the 15's but if I had to choose just two of my optics I would choose the 10 power and the spotter. Hope this helps. fatrooster.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom