Swarovision el or swaro el range

goforbroke

Looking to upgade some old optics. I currently have nikon Monarch, about 8 years old and 1 year old nikon 1000 rangefinder. Need new binoculars and rangefinder only reliably ranges to 600 yards. I was planning on purchasing the swaro el range, but found out they don't have the new swarovision glass. So now I'm considering the new swarovison el, but can't decide if I'd like to have the rangefinder in the binos or not. Any one with experiece or opinions

Problem with the combo units is say your rangefinder dies-you send them in to get fixed and you are now also without your binos .

The optics in the combo units are never quite as good as the same companies top end binos. This is a fact and has been proven true with zeiss,leica and swarovski.

I would have a hard time paying $3000 and not have the best optical quality in the bino.

Decent rangefinders are getting cheaper and cheaper.

You have a couple of choices with swarovski.

Swarovision
SLC HD

You better do some looking through a swarovision before you buy, their field flattening lenses create rolling ball effect when panning. It may bother you.

SLC HD has a similar view/quality without the field flattening lenses.

I would also check out the new Zeiss HT soon to be available and even a Zeiss FL.

I have owned/used both and I prefer the el range. Optically, the swarovisions do have better edge resolution, although I cannot notice any difference in chromatic abberation or resolution between the two. Both binos are excellent, and the rangefinder in the new el range is the best I have used.

I agree, these optics are over-priced, however they are the best you can buy. After having a pair of geovids fail during a sheep hunt a few years ago I always carry a "cheap" spare rangefinder. I would recommend doing the same.

I thought much about the same and in the past month have picked up the Swarovision 8.5x's and a Leica 1600-b. So far both are all that they are cracked up to be. I have glassed heavily with them 3-4 times so far and the Swaro's really earn their money in their color definition and low light. Mind you I also have 15x SLC's, which I think is the clearest, but the color is not near as nice.

I paid $2525 OTD for both, which is less than the one unit you are looking at. Mind you I was patient and found some deals. I don't see the advantage to the EL Range given the capability of the Leica and the economics. The Leica is also so compact. Optics on it alone is nice for quick field work. I love Swaro Warranty and Customer Service, but the EL Range warranty is not the same as the Swarovision and if there is an electronics problem, as was already mentioned your binos go with the RF for repair.

Just my .02 cents.

PS I don't have any more issue with a rolling ball issue in my swarovisions as I did in my 8x30 slc's they replaced.

I'm a little confused with the rolling ball effect. I thought that was only on the new swarovision. How did you find that price?

I currently own the El Range and I just sold my swarovisions to fund the purchase. I was able to compare them quite a bit.

The optics in the swarovisions are unsurpassed. I love them. They are truly a joy to use. That said, the optics in the range are great...just not as great. As a hunter, it isn't that much of a difference and you won't notice it unless you try to notice it.

The convenience of the integrated unit is so worth it to me. Having to fumble around with a separate RF unit is always a pain in the butt, and you never have a good spot to put it.

I had qualms with the button location on the EL range (left side instead of right) but I've found that I can hit it pretty easily if I use my middle finger to reach over. I'm getting the hang of it. the only downside is that the are bulkier (not a big deal) and that they dont range under 33 yards. I thought that would be a bigger deal that it really is. I don't know in a hunting situation that I'll ever need to range anything that close - just pull up and let 'er rip.

summary-
swarovision- best binos on the market
swaro range- best rangefinder combo on the market

Take your pick. Swaro customer service has always been awesome and will always help you if things go wrong.

Vi Et Armis Invictus Maneo

Thanks for everyones input. I think I will go with the el range. Glass looked good and I like the idea on only one unit to carry and I like the angle compensator vs the leica's. I hope i love them for the next 20 years for what they cost!!

>summary-
>swarovision- best binos on the market
>
>swaro range- best rangefinder combo on
>the market
>

This week...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics