swarovski 65mm 0r 80mm spotter???????

jds, both have the same power of magnifacation but the exit lens is bigger in the 80 allowing more light to enter and allowing you to glass into lower light levels. The 65 is shorter and lighter which is great if you do a lot of hiking. Go to your optics dealer and set them both up outside (not from inside the store through a window) and purposely set up at the time of day when it is fully light outside but is on its way to getting dark. You can continuously compare the two scopes until it is dark outside. Then you can decide which is best for you. Goodluck, fatrooster.

Think about why you buy a spotting scope. Its to take a closer look at something you have already spotted with your binos, so you want the brightest clearest scope you can get. I have the 80mm and you will definately notice a difference in the 80mm being brighter than the 65mm, especially in low light conditions.Consequently, the 80mm is 7 ounces heavier.I'd rather pack 1/2 pound more of optics than a lunch.

cabinfever

Thank you CABINFEVER,

I have been contemplating the same question. Who needs lunch?

"Lunch.... I don't need no stink'n lunch."

Bring on the weight...

What do you do for a tripod. What do you use for photos, filming, or just plain picking apart the terrain for a monster spike or two point(since I will not ever draw a premium tag).

Any advise is welcomed.

GW4BOW

I don't do a lot of backpack hunting so I went with the 80mm spotter. It gets a little heavy after a while but it is worth it when you want to see something. Make sure you have a good tripod to keep the thing steady when using it. When you look at the prices the 80 mm is not that much more $$.

thanks everyone. i backpack quite a bit so i will need to look at them side by side and then make a decision.

jason

LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-05 AT 07:22PM (MST)[p]I had the STS 65mm and when the HD ATS 80 came out I sold my 65mm and bought the 80mm. I pack it all over in my back pack and I can't tell that it is any heavier than the 65mm. I pack my lunch a bogen trypod and a video camera. The big difference I noticed is early morning and late evening when I video through the HD 80 the extra light it gathers is a big difference. The way I look at it my time spent scouting is valuable to me especialy if your trying to find that trophy animal. The extra $$$$ for the HD I feel was $$$ well spent.. Good luck...

Check out Outdoorsmans.com. I think they have the best option for a lightweight tripod and they make an awsome pistol grip head that with a trigger pull allows it to swivel in all three axis'- very nice! Also I am a big Swarovski fan-2 pairs of binos, 2 rifle scopes, but for a spotter I decided on the Zeiss Diascope 65 FL. Less money and the best color, brightness, and clarity I have seen. Comes in 65 or 85 vs 60 or 80. It's very tough also. Mine got run over buy the pickup on an elk hunt last year and came away unscathed with no problems.

Good optics are your best gear investment.

Have Fun!

I you spend the $ on the 65, you will regret it the first time you compare it to an 80 in low light. Not worth the size/weight differential in my opinion.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom