Swarovski 65mm or 80mm?

gotthefever

I am finally going to bite the bullet and purchase a swarovski scope, or rather having my wife buy it for me for Christmans!

I do a ton of long, steap high country backpacking on my hunts, bow, muzzle, and riffle.

I have looked through both the 80mm and 65mm at Sportsmans, late in the evening with low light to try to see the difference. No doubt, the 80 lets in a little more light with those last few minutes of daylight and at highe power appears have a slightly larger feild of view over the 65mm.

However, it would be nice to get some advice from those fo you who do a lot of high country back packing and own one of these bad boy scopes to speak to the issue of weight and bulk. The 80mm is 7oz. heivire than the 65mm, not extreem. However, the 80mm. is much more bulky than than the 65mm. Is the added light significantly greater with the 80mm. to justify the added weight and bulk? The 65mm. seems to be more compatable for backpackers but then again, how much light would I be sacrificing?

With looking to drop close to $2,000 I just dont want to look back and regret my decision. It is a big investment and I just want to make sure to get it right. Any advice would be much appreaciated.

Regards,

gotthefever

First of all congrats on choosing the best and you'll be happy with either one. I chose the 65 because it fits the best in my pack. My buddy has the 80 and it has a little more light but for me it wasn't enough to justify the added bulk. Weight wasn't the issue because I can always drop a few oz from the pack somehow, but the 65 just fits in the pack better.

Take your pack to the store and with a scope cover on see how each one fits, you'll see what I mean.

Best,

Oakbuck

I started with the 65 and for most of my open country early and late low light spotting I wasn't real happy. I traded up to the 80 and it's much better, but I won't argue about it being a pain in the backpack. if low light isn't a big concern I'd go for the 65 if it is go for the 80, both are the best you can get IMO. check out the hunter's edge at 660-627-2277. he has the best prices anywhere I've found but you'll have to call for a price because Swarovski won't let anyone post a price for much less than retail.

Check out the eberlestock "Just One" j105 pack with the rifle scabbard. The scabbard works great for carrying the tripod with the scope mounted on top. You can take the pack off and slide the whole thing out and your ready for spotting. I use the ATS 80 swaro with this setup. fatrooster.

Oakbuck,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. That is great advice. I have the Jim Horn Alaskan pack and have been happy with it. Great idea on taking it with me to see how the 2 scopes would fit. Thanks again

Sandbrew

Thanks for the heads up. I had considered buying it at sportsmans warehouse but seems like you have a better hook up. I looked at bighornsheep and they appear to be cheaper.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. I am leaning toward the 65mm. From what I can tell, it seems to be the one that is the most accomodating for what type of hunting I do. Thanks again for the help.

gotthefever

I used my 65 for 10 days this deer season. Wouldn't trade it for anything...Call Richard at KB Camera for the best prices. His ad is on this page. He can't advertise it any less, but give him a call...Steve

I have a 65MM with straight eye-piece that I will sell for $1200. It has been used one season and is in great shape.

Will be purchasing 15x56 bino's for glassing where I do not have to hike alot. Just not using the spotter as much as I thought I would for the area's I am hunting.

I live in Utah.

You can email me at [email protected] if anyone is interested. The spotter also comes with a nice Swaro case.

It has a lifetime warranty in the USA.

Alan

What are you hunting? To me if you are hunting sheep, go for the 80, IMO 60x is a must for sheep hunting. If you are only hunting deer, go for the 65. I bought a zeiss 45x ( 65mm) last year, and I regret it, I should have gone for the 60X

good luck

I have the STS80 and really like it. But it is too bulky( and heavy), in my opinion, to use it as a backpack spotter. This past season I used it on all three of my hunts and it was always noticed in my backpack. I use a Leopold tripod along with my Swarovski. Pretty good combination, but would like to find a tripod that is a lttle lighter. I previously had a Nikon 16-47 spotter XL and it was allot nicer to carry. But then again, it wasn't as clear. I'm thinking of buying a ATS65 but was also looking for info from people about the differences. I'll be using it mainly for deer and antelope hunting, but, as you get older, weight and size is always a consideration when backpacking. This is a good post and some real good info presented thus far. Thanks for the info!

Mickeyelk,

I appreciate your input as well. It sounds like you have really enjoyed your 80mm but have had the same concerns that I have with going with an 80mm. Boy, what a tough decision. Both are great scopes it just really depends on what type of hunting you will be doing etc. I like your suggestion with just getting both the 65 and the 80mm! It's been great to get input from guys like yourself who own one of these scopes and can give great feedback and advice. Thanks for the post!

gotthefever

I have owned both, I bought the 65 because I thought I could save some wieght and some money. I ended up selling the 65 and getting the 80. For the money spent, you might as well get the 80, the wieght difference was not enough for me to notice when hiking, and it brings in more light then the 65 for in the shadow spotting.

Just a followup to say it depends on what you are hunting, I had both, but then ended up selling them and going with a zeiss 65mm., because I think 15X is the best power to glass with in the high country I hunt for deer. The 20X just does not work as well when you are glassing through the scope. It also lets in less light because it is a higher power thus I found this the best comprimise get more light and still go with a 65mm. I admit the 60X is nice at times but not compared to being able to glass at 15X. In a perfect world I would have a pair of 15X Binoculars, but cannot afford it all. Not saying Swarovski is not awesome because they are just did not fit best for what I hunt.

You might want to check out the CTS series, a buddy of mine has one, (CTS 85) and it is pretty awesome, I spent a day glassing migrating yellowstone bulls with him on Saturday, nice scope. I have the Nikon Fieldscope III, in HD, it is what I could afford and it really is a solid scope for the money.
Jamie

I have the 65mm and love it. Either way i think you'll be happy. Enjoy your new scope.

If you're worried about weight then it boiles down to how much of a wimp are you.There both great glasses not much to complain about either way.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom