Swarovski EL 10x50 or 12x50

billygoat

Considering trading my old SLC 10x42 for an EL 10x50 or 12x50. Although over 1 inch longer than my current 10x42 SLC , they are over 1 inch shorter and 5 oz lighter than an SLC 10x50. I cannot find a local retailer that carries the 50s.
Two questions:
1. Is the extra light gathering of the 50 practical vs. a 42 when in the field for hunting, given the extra weight and size.
2. Is 12 power practical vs. 10 power when in the field for hunting?
Thanks

I wasn't aware that Swarovski made a 12x50. Here are my personal thoughts. I don't feel that a 12 power or 15 power bino is much different than using 10 power except for the fact that when you use 12 or 15 power it makes it much harder to hold them steady and therefore eliminates the advantage of having the extra power. If you plan on putting 12 power on a tripod then they will be awesome. But 10 power is also awesome on a tripod. As far as 50mm exit pupil verse 42mm I cannot comment as I am only familiar with the Swarovski EL 10x42's and SLC 10x56's. I found that I could see better with the 10x42's in low light because of the ratio between 10x42 verse 15x56. Your eye can only accept a certain amount of light and 10x42 is a better match than the 15x56. There are some people on this site who could explain this better than myself and I hope they answer these questions for you. I personally believe that you already have a great bino in the slc 10x42's but if your looking to upgrade you might consider the 10x42 EL Swarovision. If your heart is set on 50mm objective lenses then I suggest going to a Cabela's store and checking out everything behind the counter. Goodluck, fatrooster.

Thanks. Apparently the new EL 50s are not out yet but they are supposed to start shipping this month, April. Think it is coming down to keeping my current SLC 10x42 or the new EL 10x50...

I can barely keep my 8x30's steady enough with my bare hands. I have 15x56's that always get put on a tripod. I do have one friend who has the 10x50 slc's and uses them very effictively without a tripod but even he admits that is the limit. He is a big guy at 6'3" and 250lbs, I am only 5'10" and 190. I believe the 12x's would be too hard to steady and would not make a good carry bino. I believe if you want more magnification, you should consider a seperate pair of tripod dedicated big eyes and would recommed the 15x's, which I believe is the best tool available at finding big game.

Personally I would choose the 10x50mm lens, I think the difference in weight would not be a penalty for extra light gathering that would be very helpful predawn. When it comes to lenses the more light let in the better over all performance, so there would be advantages in addition to low light performance.

I just recently got the 10x42 Swarovisions and I love them. I don't think I would go higher than a 10x myself because I always carry a tripod and scope. If I wasn't going to carry the spotter I would get a higher power for sure.

I just got the new 12x50 ELs a few days ago and I love them. I have used the 10x42 ELs for years and I definitely think the new ones are better. They are heavier but it really hasnt bothered me much. I have no trouble keeping the 12x steady but on a tripod or steady support they are excellent. Its nice having a little extra power for glassing out west. The new swarovision ELs are amazing binos but they are about $1000 more than the old ELs. Go for the 12x50 and you wont regret it.

Thanks. Were you able to find a retailer that carried them before you purchased them? I don't really want to spend this kind of dough without testing them out.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-11 AT 10:58AM (MST)[p]There is really no need to 'test' swarovskis because they simply are the best.
I found one retailer that had the 10x50s but could not find anyone that had the 12x50s. I knew I wanted them regardless. I ended up finding them on ebay and got them for $2200 (free ship and no tax) new as opposed to the list for $2649.
Lately I have noticed they are a little more difficult to keep steady when Im hiking and stop to glass while standing up. I had the same problem with my old 10x42 ELs but its more due to the increased weight of the 50s I think. Regardless I prefer to sit and glass if at all possible resting my elbows on my knees and using them like this they are simply amazing.
If a guy only wanted the 10x power then I would then just get the 10x42s and not the 50s because of the weight. If you go for the 50s then might as well have them in 12x power.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom