Swarovski & Leica

PCPython

I'm posting here instead of the optics thread hoping to get more info. My question is this: With the vast majority of the population being right handed, why are the operation buttons for the rangefinder binos on the left side? For rifle hunters I don't believe it's a big deal but for archery hunters it's a huge handicap. I'm wondering what other peoples opinions are on this matter.

I've got the same complaint. I posted the following on the Swarovski Optik facebook page:

I've got a lot of money wrapped up in swaro optics, and I was anxiously awaiting the EL Range. You guys dropped the ball on this one! Why put the minimum range distance at 33? Also, like leica, you've put the button on the wrong side of the bino. That makes all the difference in the world. Correct those two issues and you'll sell a whole lot more of them. I know multiple ppl that won't buy them for those exact reasons.

Swarovski replied:
Regarding your input:
- The definition of the minimum distance has technical reasons. It's the method of measuring that allows reliable results from 33yd/30m upwards.
- The button is intentionally placed where it is, so that a hunter in aiming position can re-measure with his "free" left hand if necessary

I responded:
I speak from the perspective of a western hunter - primarily archery. Many of us are waiting for the first high end RF bino that will give us these things: High end optics, angle compensation, button on the right side, and good minimum range. Leica is 2/4 (I sold my geovids because there was no angle comp and bad button location). Zeiss is 3/4 - they just need to get the angle compensation right. Bushnell got the button, the angle comp, and the minimum (10 yards) right, but does not have the world class optics of the others. Most of us are right handed, meaning we carry the bow in our left hand, all the time. To range something, you quickly grab your binos with your right hand and hit it. Trying to do the reach over may cost you precious seconds and the shot you had. The first company to make this bino will sell a boat load of them!

Swaro:
Thanks again for your input Ben. I will certainly forward that to the appropriate people...

Thats exactly why I just purchased a normal pair of Swaro binos. However Zeiss makes a binocular range combo and its button is on the right side....both swaro and zeiss's range finding bino can be inbedded with your rifles ballistics for compensation so like you said they are more for rifle shooters.

Those of you with facebook accounts should add swarovski optik and back me up. If enough of us complain they'll start to pay attention.

I emailed Swarovski yesterday and they responded that they built the binos where you should be able to reach the button with your right hand. I haven't actually held the Swarovskis yet but there is no way I can reach the button on the Leicas. The 33 yard minimum range isn't nearly as big of a deal to me as the button being on the wrong side.

Both Leica and Swarovski are European companys where archery hunters are not very common. With most people being right handed and most hunters using a rifle which would be held in the right hand. A button on the left side is understandable in the case of the early Leicas.

In the case of Swarovski I really think they missed an opportunity to learn from Leica. Since it is easier for those carrying a rifle to use either hand to range, then put the button in a spot that is easist for most archers. Since most of the archers in the world never shoot over 30 yards (whitetails) they in effect eliminated a large part of the market.

Zeiss got it right with the button and range spectrum, but I didn't like the glass. The color spectrum and depth of field was not to my liking. At least to my view they were not even close to the Leica and Swarovski.

I dropped Zeiss from the decision making process because I didn't like the glass. The button on the Swarovski was easier to reach, but they were a lot more expensive than the Leica.

Rumor has it that Leica is coming out with a new model this spring with some new advancement. To my thinking it is either angle compensation or right hand buttom placement. I'm not holding my breath that even if it is angle compensation that it will have an archery mode.

Good luck with deciding which qualities you demand more in making your selection.

I just took a look at the swaro and leica range finder bino's and a new pair of swarovision EL's. In my opinion the glass in both rangefinders is not as good as the plain binocular. And 33minimum yards just won't cut it for archery hunting. In my world the choice is clear. I'll be sticking with my swaro EL's and a seperate pocket rangefinder for archery hunting. I always leave my bino's behind with my pack anyways and use the 7 power rangefinder as my optics when I get less than 100 yards. fatrooster.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom