Swarovski Spotting Scope and Nikon D5000 Options?

O_S_O_K

Hey guys,

I don't post much on this forum but I do look at your pics quite often. Pretty impressive!

This has gotten me interested in taking some pics of my own.

Last fall I finally broke down and bought me a Nikon D5000 and this fall I finally bought me a Swarovski ATM HD spotting scope.

I have also bought some higher power zoom lenses and those seem to work pretty good (55-200MM and a 70-300MM).

I love going out and spotting up animals and then getting video and pics of them.

To this point I have done pretty well getting video through my scope but taking a pic through it is another story.

I have been successful using a digi-scope adapter and my small Sony Cybershot camera in the past but I want to take some truly good quality photos through it with my Nikon.

Here is my question: I know that Swarovski makes an adapter for digiscoping but I also heard there is an adapter that can actually attach my scope to my camera and have it be just like a lense. Is this true? How much are they? Does this work well as an option? What brands would you recommend?

I do understand that this will never take a professional grade photo and that is OK. I am just looking to take pics for my own enjoyment at this time.

Thanks for any help!

I do not digiscope, but maybe there is something on here to help http://www.digiscoped.com/

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
The-Wave-9-15-10edited_210.jpg

L know Leica makes one, not sure if it has the same threads as the Swaro. I think the part number was Leica 42300 I think it is what you are looking for but may only fit Leica, But if Leica makes one I would bet Swaro does as well. I think it retailed for about 400 but i got mine off ebay for 150 maybe a little more. They make your spotter into an 800 MM lens with 10.4 F stop. They are kind of difficult to find though. Obviously not the quality of the L series lens for my Canon but it does take very good pictures.DOd some searching and give Cameraland a call Doug might be able to find you something in after market companies. with a t ring. best of luck and let us know what you turn up!
BB

LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-10 AT 06:31AM (MST)[p]Trent,

Good to see your still kicking.

sorry, just looked at your profile, you're not OSOK

Yeah Elkster thanks for the info.

After further digging I now understand what it would take to make this happen.

I would have to buy a fixed zoom lense and a T-Adapter.

I think it's best to keep the Nikon for what it was designed for.

I ended up looking into the Tines-up options and they are pretty awesome. I bought the video camera adapter for my HD camera and it works awesome. With the newer software out you can even freeze frame your HD video and find excellent pics.

Anyway, thanks for the info and maybe I will have some pics to post before too long.

look into the swarovski DCA. it has different size adapters that screw right into your camera's lens. I use it with a Canon 7D and the 50mm prime lens. getting good pics with it so far has been a challenge but the adapter is solid and fits snug over the swaro eyepiece

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom