Swarovski Spotting Scope Help

Iron

Planning to purchase an STX-65 HD, or an STX-80 HD.

Want the smaller scope, but is there a great advantage to the 80mm? I know, greater light gathering, but is it worth the weight, and expense for those few minutes?

Can anyone of you who own one of these pass along any advice?

Thanks,
Iron

Iron,

I'm only a sample of 1 and only you can decide based off how and where you hunt if its worth the extra weight or not. I don't have the STX, but did buy a ATS HD 80mm this year. Its worth the weight penalty because I hunt open spaces(relatively) and extremely low light is prime time. As well, I glass big country looking for elk every year, and it saves on the boot leather. I also found my daughters 1st buck I posted in another thread using all the 80mm could offer. Having said that, I hear no flies on the 65mm versions and what lack of performance is minuscule at best. That's my humble opinion.

Its heavy, but I'd rather pack it for what it brings to the table. I doubt you could go wrong on either front.

For what it's worth if your looking at getting the bigger scope look at getting the Kowa TSN 883.....it rivals the big swaro 95 and is ALOT cheaper. Been looking at getting a new spotter...I have an older 65mm swaro and am ready for an upgrade.

I will echo the suggestion to look at the KOWA 88 if you go big. My son has carried one for the last 3-4 years on our hunts and he is consistently finding game at first/last light that I miss. He carries the weight so I don't have to worry about it. Great deal for me! Ha.
I know a Kowa dealer who will make you a good deal. PM if interested.

The bigger spotter will give you a clearer overall view of things but the weight and size are a pain. The take a lot of pack space.

I have the 80 and the weight doesn't bother me , but it is bulky and takes up quite a bit of my 5000 CI pack . That being said , I wouldn't trade it for a 65

Thanks guys for all the good information. You certainly didn't make my choice any easier.

I decided to go with the 65. Should be the right choice for me.

Actually my choice was made easier, because my hunting buddy decided to buy the 80. We should be covered for any situation.

Thanks again,
Iron

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom