Swarovski TDS reticle system

B

Bura Nut

What is everyone using if anything on their scopes for long range???? I am looking into adding the TDS reticle system for 250.00 but would like input/advice..... Thanks, Allen.....

I think you might already know this but here goes. Burris Fullfield 2 with the balistic plex. According to the book and the range work I have done so far the first or regular crosshair is good for 100-200 yards, the second one down is 300 the third is 400 the third and final is 500 and 600 should be the top of where the vertical reticle goes from thick to thin. This is all with a .300 Weatherby magnum shooting handloaded 168 grain Sierra Matchkings at 3450 a second. I havent tried 400-500-600 yet other than at a bear this season, the bear thought it was all pretty funny, me and long range shooting that is, and went his own way after he finished laughing at me. The only other long range shopoting reticles I have seen are the after market ones that are put in Leupolds and they function much the same way as my Burris except they have alot more lines all over the scope...
Bret Mattausch

I figured he was 450-500 yards away, my buddy has shot at deer across the same canyon and figures it was closer to 550-600. Neither one of us had rangefound the exact range across ever. Next purchase for me after camcorder is a new rangefinder....You don't have to miss many giant bears before you get sick and decide you need a rangefinder.
The bear was sleeping under a juniper. I shot below him 2 times and then over him 1 time, then I shot in front of him and behind him. I pretty much hit everywhere and everything on the hillside except the bear. Next year there will be pears (I hope) and the bears wont stand a chance;-)!!!
Bret Mattausch

Another option is to use target turrets with that new Leica 1200 rangefinder Santa is leaving for ya under that mesquite tree in Mexico. I've put the Stoney Point knobs on the Leupolds, chronographed the loads, zeroed at 100 yards, used the ballistic programs to figure what elevation is needed at the various ranges out to 500 yards, and then practice at those long ranges to double check the table taped to the stock. After ranging the target, dial in the elevation, hold the cross-hairs dead on and shoot. Sure beats guessing the holdover and the $25 target knob is cheaper than $250 reticles. IMO. I used this system to make long shots on antelope and mule deer this fall. I don't leave the scope set for 100 yards when hunting, but for 250 yards in case time is limited and the point blank range for a 6" kill zone out to 300 yards can be used.
Good luck getting that coues in Mexico!
Red Rabbit

Bret, I am pretty sure this TDS system will work good. I know your pain about missing, and I also want a new rangefinder, I am getting that Leica 1200. I dont want the rangefinder to screw up again like this B-----nell thing I bought...Allen......

Red: I hope santa brings me that rangefinder, but I will probably have to sneak it in like all my other gadgets. She would have a coronary if I even brought the rangefinder up......LOL........ Allen......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom