Swarovski vs Nikon Fieldscope III ED

osu92

These two scopes fall into about the same price range and while I am an owner of a pair of EL binoculars and think they are incredible, I realize you do pay a little bit strictly for that Swarovski name and reputation. So, side by side, is there much difference, and if so how, in the STS-65 and Nikon's 60 ED?

I own an ATS-65 (non HD) and sold off my Nikon ED. Nikon is a great piece of glass for the price.

Swaro (non HD) was and is still better under low light conditions, larger objective lens and better coatings (65 MM for Swaro, 60 for Nikon) The FOV is better on the Swaro. 108-60 Nikon 105-52 a little narrow I think. The both weigh about the same. Slightly less weight on the Nikon 43.7 oz vs. 49 oz for Swaro. Nikon just a tad shorter.

I really liked my Nikon glass. I found a great deal on a new Swaro ATS for about $1100, so I sold the Nikon. I had bettter customer service with Swaro over the years (Never had to have any repairs, just accessories, questions. Nikon was alittle slow and not as quck for follow up. But not bad)

That said, you can find a new Nikon for about $7-800 on line nowdays on special. It is a great optic and will cost you less than the Swaro. I backpacked with both. Not to bad to carry. I enjoy the rubber armouring on the Swaro, you do not get any armoring on the Nikon.

Also, if you wear glasses, more eye relief on the Swaro and easier on he eye as such (I wear glasses and contact lenses).

If you have the cash, get the Swaro. But you will still enjoy the Nikon if you go that route.

Best of Luck,
Porter.

Porterrockwell,

Just curious, did your Nikon have the 15-45x or 20-60x eyepiece? The newer fully multi-coated 20-60x is heads and shoulders above the older 15-45x, and IMO, provides a better view than the non-HD Swarovski.

I had the 60. I own the 50 mm (That is the best small, compact scope on the market IMHO). I also owned the 82 mm Nikon, great piece of glass, but limited FOV compared to others. Depending on circumstances I would also say that the 60 mm Nikon can outperform the non HD Swaro, however, I found that not in every case, especially in low light. The Nikon really is a great scope though. Well worth the money especially if you can find a deal on line.

Best thing about the Nikon, clarity for the money and the view thru case. You need it with no armouring. But is very nice.

Best with the Swaro, just as clear or better than the Nikon depending on the application (IMHO) and the armouring. Mine takes a beating in the pack and in the field. I also like the Swaro warranty better.

Can't go wrong with either.

Best wishes,

Porter

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-10 AT 10:13PM (MST)[p]This is just the type of information that I was looking for. And it helps me to know if I can't save up enough for the Swaro that I'm not sacrificing too much with the Nikon. Thanks.

I have the Nikon 82ED model, and like he said it is fantastic glass, just as good as the Zeiss 85T FL I compared. The FOV edge goes to Zeiss, but it has no edge in optics.

BTW, the $700-800 Nikon is the non ed glass. Still very good scope for the money, but the ED models generally run from $1150-$1350. Since I was able to obtain the Swarovski for such a great price, $1100, i pulled the trigger.

If this is a scope that will get some use out of the truck and your back and legs are mighty enough to pack around some weight, take a look at the Vortex Razor scope. For $1200-$1300 that is a very impressive scope. Large objective at 85 mm. Very clear. The Nikon 82 mm ED is also a fantastic deal at about the same price.

I spoke with Vortex reps at the show this past week and they said they should have the straight in addition to their angled model out in a few months. I prefer the bent nail, but straight works too. :)

If you are wanting a real lightweight scope for backpacking, I have the Nikon 50 mm ed with a 13-40 zoom. It can be had for less than $600 and is a pleasure to pack around. The optics are wonderful and it is a real nice find. If am feeling tired, I take out the 2 pound heavier Swaro and pod and put in the lighter tripod and pack the Nikon 50 around.

Good luck in your search and your purchase.

Porter

Get the Nikon, very rugged plastic construction...

ED50-1.jpg

>Get the Nikon, very rugged plastic
>construction...
>
>
ED50-1.jpg

Nice picture, but how about comparing apples to apples, as that is not a Nikon Fieldscope III ED, which is what the OP asked about.

Well boys, sometimes optics talk gets a little jaded.....

That being said, I have zero preference, I just want results. I have Swaro, Vortex, Nikon, Leica & Zeiss. The only thing I don't have is those damn Zen Rays. This is only a personal opinon, which is going to be about 85% of an answer to whoever is asking.......

Swaro is the best for straight glass.....however for me, it isn't. And this is where it doesn't matter how much perfect glass you can sell me. I can't get my eyes close to the eyepiece (spotter) on the Swaro because I have a big eyebrow. This is why you ALL should buy whatever works for your vision, rather than what someone else try's to tell you on a forum. I guide. As a guide, I like my Razor 10x42's. Reason, they are good glass & I can beat them up. I use the Nikon 82 spotter....my eye fits that spotter.....no other reason. I have Swaro 10x42's for when I am hunting for myself...no clients asking to hold them to "take a look". I had Leica & sold them....thought the Razors were better (in my personal field of view!!)

Remember, we are splitting hairs when it comes to glass (it's all pretty nice these days).....buy whatever you can get your face adjusted to. If you wear glasses, you might not be able to experience what non-eyeglass wearers have.

Everyone, forget brands......buy what your eyes tell you is clear, period. It's not a status thing.....it's about what you can see, so you can go hunt what you see.....rember, you can't kill what you can't see!!

D

Sorry to see that Nikon 50 come apart? How did that happen?

The 50 is not the same construction as the 60 mm. Also. FWIW the 50 is made in China and the 60 mm is made in Japan.

Still love my Swaro, 65 and I would still go with the Nikon 82 for the price if you want bigger.

God Bless,

Porter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom