SXS Vs Samurai

Wyo_Roadhunter

I was deadset I was going to get a polaris general but now I'm getting cold feet. I have a hard time spending that much money on plastic and tin foil parts in a vehicle that 10,000 miles is alot haha. My tacoma is great but the general would definitely out do it in snow and mud on steep trails. I started looking and there are some pretty crazy offroad built samurai's for way cheaper than a general but im not sure if I'd be in the same boat as my tacoma with the mud and snow with one. If I did get a samurai it would be offroad only it wouldn't be a street vehicle at all. Anyone had any experience with something like this vs a sxs?

I have driven both, but only owned a Polaris RZR.

I would choose the Samurai. My RZR weighs about 1500. I'm thinking the Samurai might be too heavy for the toy hauler.

You got me thinking about a new toy.

2 completely different worlds.
Depends on what you do with it and where you want to go.
I dont go on anything real narrow so that's not a problem but I get into some pretty nasty steep stuff. The toyota has been good but if it snowed or rained I don't think I could get it back out.

Modify the Toyota and it will go anywhere a general will and last a lot longer. Hell you can buy a new Toyota for less than a loaded general?

I thought about that but I don't want to get it to crazy because it still is my daily driver. I thought about solid axle swap etc but for the kit was almost 8k ?.

Thats way out of the questions hints my profile name ??
Oh I can road hunt with the best of them. You should see the places I've taken my 01 ford f350 diesel...and the dents and scratches to prove it.. just bought a 2021 and have taken it hunting it has hauled home two blacktails this archery season.

I don't shy away from many roads...or trails. It's amazing what 4 tires chained will get you out of.

Let's See The Proof On The Sides Of The 2021!:D

Oh I can road hunt with the best of them. You should see the places I've taken my 01 ford f350 diesel...and the dents and scratches to prove it.. just bought a 2021 and have taken it hunting it has hauled home two blacktails this archery season.

I don't shy away from many roads...or trails. It's amazing what 4 tires chained will get you out of.

Sorry, but an F350 diesel is a piss poor four wheel drive rig in the hills. mtmuley

I can point you in the direction of a trail you may struggle on…

A Sami on 35's even with the correct gearing is going to be a gutless turd box, I've been around dozens of them. 35's on Sami axles? Lots of broken axle joints, hubs and sheared off steering arms. They're horrible on road and marginally not horrible off road unless they're seriously modified at which point they break all the time. Based on my experience I'd never even consider one.

With 5:38 gears it will do fine. If you want speed this obviously isn’t what you want. And as far as breaking parts, if you can check that skinny peddle breaking isn’t a huge issue. Now if you start running some crawler trails that’s different. To each their own. I’ve had a side by side a small Jeep, a crawler and now an atv. My street legal crawler which was gutless was my favorite.

Drove into a "jeep road" some Colorado hunter said I'd never get in and retrieved my brothers elk...slack jaws all around.

I love it when I see all the side by sides and jeeps and Sami's etc. driving around on the same roads ANY truck will make it on, makes me chuckle...

I think for the money a samurai or even a Jeep cj5 which is still tiny, is a better deal to me. I have a hard time with side by sides they cost 30k new and yeah they are cool but it’s a big pill to take. I like the cheapness and availability of parts for a small crawler. Do what you feel good about but that’s my opinion.

30K Would Be Considered A Cheap One Now!

I think for the money a samurai or even a Jeep cj5 which is still tiny, is a better deal to me. I have a hard time with side by sides they cost 30k new and yeah they are cool but it’s a big pill to take. I like the cheapness and availability of parts for a small crawler. Do what you feel good about but that’s my opinion.

Father in law has a built Sami. Unless your purposely "mudding" it and driving it very very hard, your not gonna be breaking stuff left and right. If your using it to get in and out of hunting spots you should be fine. He does tow his on a trailer as far as is needed. It's not a real road worthy vehicle at higher speed, squirrel's all over the road at the top end.

Geo. Guy I hunt with has (calls it Barney)

Only problem with these little rigs is they are gutless especially when you add the lift and tires to ground clearance them.

Blazer is my uncle's. Locker, solid axle, redneck lift. Pretty much unstoppable.

Best one from our group though was a old wagoneer, danas, 350chev, welded solid for permanent 4 wheels spinning when front hubs were in. Not a street rig, but an absolute beast on the mtn.

Im with the others. I got out of sxs. For what a general costs I got a 21 Tacoma. It has doors, windshield, heater, AC. And, is useable nov-mar

Screenshot_2023-09-20-04-59-03-85_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Screenshot_2023-09-20-05-06-47-58_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

My FJ was about the same price as a loaded out SxS, but I can still drive it to the grocery store. Has been a pretty solid rig offroad so far. Still have some mods to go.

Who says you need a sxs with all the bells and whistles. I bought a basic one that does what I need it to. Not a hunting rig. Just a joy rider.

Horses are my off road machine

Horses are my off road machine

Id love to have horses for about 4 months a year haha. I've always thought about renting them but I'm not a cowboy and I'd probably lose them ?
[/QUOTE]

I hear ya. I am fortunate to have horses that keep on some ground for very little cost. Went from 12 to 2 animals. I prefer to take a mare then mules. The mules you can cut loose, they will not leave that mare. I definitely don't use them like I use to. Work screws my hunting scedule in a bad way.

Although this year in when I hunt montana the sxs will be my go to. Usaully take the diesel to get to top of the mountain to take off hiking but going to try sxs. Will get up faster to my spot.

I had the same decision to make. I went with a 1996 Jeep Cherokee. I have a lifted on 33's locked rear with 4:56 gears really capable machine all in just under 10K.. Best decision I have made. It was mostly stock when i got it, did all the work myself.
I don't care if it get scratched or muddy. it goes just about everywhere I need it to go.

You could probably make your tacoma go just about anywhere a sxs will go honestly I have one a manual with a 6" lift on 33's with lockers that will pretty much climb a tree.

We picked up a used General last year for our late Colorado deer hunts. I've never owned a Samurai, but I'm guessing the General might be a little better in the snow?
We did have to chain up to get up some roads, but overall it worked out great.
It does seem ridiculous what they cost. Then again, I bought a regular size Hershey bar yesterday that cost $2.50 so maybe it's the new normal.

The two aren’t even close in comparison. sxs’s will out perform any Jeep or samurai out there for what you’d actually want to use it for.

Don’t believe me. Go down the same two track at 30 mph in one of each then tell me what one you want to bounce around in all day

The two aren’t even close in comparison. sxs’s will out perform any Jeep or samurai out there for what you’d actually want to use it for.

Don’t believe me. Go down the same two track at 30 mph in one of each then tell me what one you want to bounce around in all day
I'll probably end up with both ?

I got tired of donating a kidney every time I went up into some of my favorite hunting spots.
I purchased the 2023 Honda Pioneer 1000 6 seater out the door just over $23000. Had the dealership put in a heater $800, and I added a wintch $400, picked up a windshield out of KSL classifieds $200, and found a top for $400 KSL. I am pretty confident I can always get off the mountain, and I don't have to go to the chiropractor after each trip through the hills. For less than $25k I can take the whole family or go by myself, and it is pretty comfortable.
Pretty happy with my decision.

About .1% of people need beadlocks. The other 99.9% will still run 35psi and take it to town to get the flat fixed.

Oh, and if you’ve never tried to change a 35” beadlock in the field, pack yourself a lunch.

Some good opinions here. I think it would be better to have a Jeep or Samurai. My reason is that they provide a more practical purpose than a side by side. I have been in plenty of those side by sides and will be forever grateful for my friends that brought them, but the hassle of getting them there and the fact that they can only serve that purpose, keeps me from getting one. They do well if you hunt with them and have decent sized property to work them, but they are loud, unbalanced at high speeds and uncomfortable on the streets or highways. Jeeps and samurais out perform them there and the fact that you have a second vehicle that can be used at anytime for more than one role sits well with me. I just bought a new Honda Rincon. It can fit in the back of the truck and not needing a trailer to get it there helps me feel better about having something that can go anywhere and save me the wear and tear on my truck if I need to be reminded how great things are.

I got tired of donating a kidney every time I went up into some of my favorite hunting spots.
I purchased the 2023 Honda Pioneer 1000 6 seater out the door just over $23000. Had the dealership put in a heater $800, and I added a wintch $400, picked up a windshield out of KSL classifieds $200, and found a top for $400 KSL. I am pretty confident I can always get off the mountain, and I don't have to go to the chiropractor after each trip through the hills. For less than $25k I can take the whole family or go by myself, and it is pretty comfortable.
Pretty happy with my decision.

Those look to be awesome. I spent time in the weird “5” seater where you just sit in the bed. Didn’t like it at all. The people in the rear got all dusty and with the short wheelbase they were getting bucked around like a rodeo bronco.

A Guy Made Me A bet One time She Couldn't Drive His Pick-Up!

He Won't Make That Bet Again!

Not A Chance coloradoman!

You Can Keep Them!

We Still have 2 Rigs With Johnny Bars!

If I Could Get One In Today's World In A Full Size Pick-Up I Damn Sure Have One!

Perty Sad We Had To Start Building Full Sized Pick-Ups With Nothing But Automatics!

Perty Sad The Newer Generation Is Too STUPID or So LAZY They Can't Drive Them!

Username definitely checks out !

Haha!

In my opinion a side by side can go so many more places and do so much more comfortably. I have a Polaris 1000 crew Northstar. I’d love to have a new Ranger 1500 or Expedition, but that will have to wait a little while.

28D27772-3818-4B07-85D4-AF71D31F2FAC.jpeg

Username definitely checks out !

Haha!

In my opinion a side by side can go so many more places and do so much more comfortably. I have a Polaris 1000 crew Northstar. I’d love to have a new Ranger 1500 or Expedition, but that will have to wait a little while.

View attachment 120727
I just bought one of those a few months ago.
Exact same model and color.
Wife LOVES it.
I also have a Tacoma.
The Polaris is by far a much more capable machine for hunting and general property work.
Don’t believe me?
Try taking a Tacoma through a mudflat to get to a goose pit and let us know how that works out for you.

71745825895__1A15D544-36AB-45D7-AD95-0B073019D4B4.jpeg

I would vote for a Sammy or other off-road well built vehicle. Both of my rigs will run 70 down the highway. With lockers front and rear and a good set of tires they will go anyplace you want to take them, and they do it with style. Both rigs have increased significantly in value while I have owned them and with the minimal electronics and basic tools you can fix everything with ease. They can tow, they can haul gear and animals etc. The only place they can't go is on the width restricted trails. They gain value every year and they are a lot more fun to drive with the top off on the 4th etc. Guarantee they will go about any place a side by side will and I also know a few places they have went a side by side couldn't. Not many but a few. No one vehicle can do it all, every wheel base has advantages and disadvantages, etc.

The only thing they can't do, is haul ass like you are in the Baja, but who really needs to go 30+ on the trails? I sure don't...

blazer 1.jpg

blazer 2.jpg

blazer 3.jpg

jeep.jpg

jeep2.jpg

Last edited:
The Samuari's and Geo's are old . So I guess its a question of reliability . My daughters family has a Geo and love it. Is it less expensive then a side by side yes. Has it left them stranded out in the back country yes. More then once. I guess side by sides can also break down. But you can't buy a new one with a warranty. I have thought of building a Sammy up for hunting. But by the time I axles swapped it and changed out the motor. It's going to cost as much as a side by side. Plus the time to build it. My daughter would always say get a Geo dad. It has a heater and a radio. Well so does my General with a full cab. So if I need another project maybe it will be a Sami. But my Jeep with Chey tpi 350 dana 60's Detroit lockers never gets driven now. My street legal General is off road ready and snow track ready. It didn't take me two years to build it.

SxS will depreciate faster than a Tacoma, certainly won’t last as long either. Why not get an early 2000s taco with factory locking rear and lock the front? Chained up (if needed) on 33s it will get you most of the places you need to go. And when your new daily is in the shop (because they all are electrical nightmares) you have a rig to get back and forth to work.

I think maybe some folks are taking machines to places they shouldn't?

I cannot EVER remember turning around on a road in my poor old f350 that I would take a samurai. At least not one that I truly believed I should hunt.

I would like some pictures of these places that you guys are actually hunting and not just off roading for the sake of off roading. No moab pics etc....

Get off your azz and walk a bit. Geesh...

Post pics

I think where the benefit a decent built jeep is the beadlocks. The ability to air down to below 15 psi is huge. Especially in deepish snow, a side by side is great for a lot of things. I would rather spend that kind of money on a bull jeep or Toyota.

I got 2 9 1/2 that take me up in some of that rough country use to take a hour or so only now I got to start at 3 AM

Well I ended up getting a General. Got a deal I couldn't pass up, but the taco will always be the 1st thing I take. The general is more for recovery ?

20231011_173046.jpg

20231005_101220.jpg

20231014_145035.jpg

Very nice Wyo_Roadhunter! Let us know how you feel about taking a trailer from home to the stopping off point. Is it a hassle or is it no big deal?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom