T/c Blackdiamond

B

Blacktail_boy

I got a T/C Blackdiamond inline last week. I love the gun and it shoots like a charm. I am wondering what kind of loads you guys use for deer hunting. I am going to be hunting in brushy conditions and need some help finding a good load to use. Also I noticed that the end of the barrel almost floats where it meets the tip of the stock? I don't know if they all have this problem. I have not been down the the gun store to ask him yet. Anyways thanks for all the help you guys gave me when I was looking for my new inline...JB

I've owned one for going on four years now and mine has served me very well. The floating barrel is the way it's suppose to be. The nice thing about this gun is that you can take the barrel from the stock while cleaning, put it back together, and not affect the accuracy. My Dad's Remington you can't remove the barrel without having to sight in the gun again.

As far as a hunting load, mine is a 295 gr Powerbelt pushed by 110 gr of Pyrodex RS.

Good shooting!

I shoot a blackdiamond, and found 200 grn with three pirodex works well. I would even drop to 180 for longer shots. I do not like the barns x sabbots. I hit two deer in the chest; one at 40 yards, and one at 100 yards. Both required extensive tracking, one was lost. The picture of the mushroom looks great on the box, but I would use a new sabbot(more lead),next time I draw.

Thanks for the help so far..When my Dad picked up the gun for my graduation present he got a little stater kit that came with it. I have .300 grain bullets right now and use 2 pirodex pellets...they are a little heavy for me..I have not done much shooting only shot about 15 times..it seem's to be VERY accurate though. I'll keep you all posted. B_B

B_b,

How is the new muzzlestuffer treating? Glad to see you got something you enjoy. By the way thanks! When I took the time to really look at some of the new BP rifles I learned a lot and I probably wouldn't have done it if you hadn't been asking all the questions. Keep us updated and if you need any more help just give me a holler.

Sportfury

Great choice. I also wondered about the gap between the stock and barrel, but with time realized it wasn't affecting accuracy, plus it is simple to clean. I shoot the 300's at mule deer with great results. With the velocity of a muzzleloader being much slower than a centerfire I think it is wise to create the energy with a large bullet. Look at trajectory, it won't be much difference in a lighter bullet vs. 300 gr. You won't be shooting further than 200 yards anyway I assume.

I have used my black diamond for the last three years, and have really enjoyed the gun. I have shot two big bodied deer the last two seasons. I shoot 300's puched by three pellets of pyrodex, both deer were hit good, and both went only a short distance before going down. A few guys have told me that I am crazy to shoot the gun with three pellets, what have oiu guys heard about this?

borntohunt

Hey fellas.
I only use 2 pellets with 300 grain bullets..I am thinking about maybe trying three? does it make the bullet faster? I do not need the extended range, I don't plan on making a shot farther then 100 yards at the most. Sport fury, thanks for all the good tips buddy. I would have gotten in real mess if you had not told me .209 primers where illegal in Washington. As far as all the other guys out there you have T/C Blackdiamond's I take the barrel completely off and stick it in a HOT bath tub to clean it. After it sits for awhile you can use a bore brush and clean it allot more easily then with just bore cleaner and a brush. Make sure you use hot water so it does not leave any water marks on your barrel! I even put the trigger end in the water, the local gun smith said that is the way he has been doing it to his T/C for years. Good luck in the up comming season guys....later ;-) B_B

I tried to move up to 150 gr (3 pellets) but my accuracy really suffered and it didn't make all that much difference in muzzle velocity. I went back to loose powder and utilized Bluelk's ML 101 info to work up the proper load for my Black Diamond. Since I hunt in MN I can only use open sights so my max range is about 120 yards. I now use 110 gr of Pyrodex RS behind a 295 gr Powerbelt. Shot groups are under 2" at 100 yards. Proof in the pudding is the 116 yard shot I made on my Mule Deer last year. Thought the range was about 80 when I shot so I put the sight right on the deer. Later used the range finder to find out the it really was 116 yards. Hit the buck just ahead of the diaphram about an inch lower than where I was aiming. Buck never ran, just walked about 30 yards and nosed into the groud.

If you really want to punish yourself on the range go ahead and go for the 150 gr. The folks making the pellets would appreciate the additional business. However my advice is to use loose powder and stay around the 90-110 gr range for your hunting loads.

Good Hunting!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom