t/c hawken barrel replacement???

kurtski25

Hey guys, quick question.
I want to replace the barrel of my t/c hawken .54 cal muzzleloader. First, are the land/grooves 15/16" or 1". and second what kind of barrel would you recommend (green mountain?)? I'm a patch ball shooter, so 1:48 twist or slower for me.
Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.
Kurt

>Hey guys, quick question.
>I want to replace the barrel
>of my t/c hawken .54
>cal muzzleloader. First, are
>the land/grooves 15/16" or 1".
> and second what kind
>of barrel would you recommend
>(green mountain?)? I'm a patch
>ball shooter, so 1:48 twist
>or slower for me.
>Any info or suggestions would be
>appreciated.
>Kurt

First off you measure across the "flats" of the gun to get the 1" or 15/16" measurement. Generally .50cals are 15/16" across, 54's are 1" across but there are a few 50 cals with 1" across the flats. Green Mt barrels are outstanding. They are getting really hard to find lately though.

If you want to shoot roundballs I would NOT go with the 1/48" factory twist, I'd suggest at least 1/66" or a 1/72" twist. Faster twists are suited more to the conicals and sabots.

-DallanC

I got a green mountain barrel in .50 slow twist for my T/C Hawken .54 which has 1" across the flats hex on the barrel. I also bought the longer barrel which may have been a mistake as the thicker sides and increased length makes for a very front heavy rifle. I wanted to shoot some patched round ball for a competition but now wonder if I can hold the rifle up long enough.

I don't have any more to add other than to say I also would go with at least 54 and maybe a 58. If you are planning on hunting with the gun a round ball is not the greatest bullet out there. You will need to go to a big bore to get enough FPE to tackle big game. But that is only my opinion. Ron

I am going out on a limb on this one but did you try to buy a new barrel from TC?

The only way to get a 1" across the flats from T/C is to order something other than a Hawken barrel. There is another model that uses a 1" .50cal but I can not remember which one at this time (Renagade maybe??).

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-07 AT 05:22PM (MST)[p]>All the 58, 54 cal Hawkens
>TC barrels are 1" on
>the flats. Ron
That is true; but not the .50cal which is what he wants (or at least that was my impression).

Midway USA has 1 in 70" twist .50 cal barrels in either 15/16" or 1" that will fit the TC breech plug, among others, for about $168.00.

I think I've found it. I checked the Midway website and I found a 28" barrel length, 1" across in .50 cal. Everything I was looking for my new barrel.
Thanks for the help guys!
Kurt

note:
All the GREEN MOUNTAIN barrels that MIDWAY listed as 28" long in .50 caliber were 1 in 28" twist.
You stated that you wanted a "round ball" barrel, which seems like a 1 in 70" would be the one. They list them, but they are listed as 32" LONG (and HEAVY). Make sure you get what you want, and let us know how it shoots. :D

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom