Tag Allocation

1FastGambler

I wish there was a way to paste an excel spreadsheet into a forumn post. If anyone knows how to do so & keep the formating let me know.

I was curious to find an answer to the tag allocation question by looking at the draw odds report.

I created new rows for Resident, Nonresident, & guided nonresident and entered a formula that calculated the number of tags each category should get based on last years tag allocation rules and the number of tags available for each hunt code.

What I learned was.... well.... nothing. None of it made sense. I didn't find a single hunt code that actually had tags allocated according to the 78% resident, 10% NR, 12% GNR rules.

Why is that? Why don't they follow the rules?

I understand where the number of applicants in each of the two NR pools didn't have enough applications, but many hunt codes did have plenty of applicants.

If you know how to use excel, try what I did let me know if you can make any sense of it. Assuming you have lots of spare time too.. haha!

P.S. I hid all the rows that didn't pertain and only kept the following rows in view: hunt code, quota, limit, tags drawn for R, NR, & GNR, and my 3 new rows.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-11 AT 08:23PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-11 AT 08:19?PM (MST)

I figured out a way to share it with everyone. I saved a screenshot as a jpeg and uploaded it. The picture is a little small, but you can still read it.

Although there isn't very many hunt codes in view in the pic you can at least see what I'm talking about.

Thoughts on this? Der-1-111 is pretty close and it is only one in a handfull that are close.

8816tag_allocation.jpg

After studying this a little more there are some hunt codes that have the tags allocated they way we would expect them to be. DER-1-110 is spot on, however it does indicate that they may in fact round up when looking at the GNR pool.

I just wasted an evening trying to answer SDBuglers question. Better than watching t.v. I guess...

Does anyone know what the quota "Y" or "N" means? I couldn't find the "N" hunt codes in the proc.

Looking at your spreadsheet, I think the Y an N reference if all the tags were issued or not.

Some of results are skewed when there is not enough applicants to draw the tags for a specific pool (res, N-R DIY, and N-R Guided). For example, if there were no applicants in the N-R Guided pool, then those tags went to the N-R DIY applicants.

>Looking at your spreadsheet, I think
>the Y an N reference
>if all the tags were
>issued or not.
>

It looks like all the tags were issued on both the Y & N quota, so that's not it.

What are those hunt codes for? I only tried to look up a few of them in the proc, and didn't find any of them.

At first I thought maybe they were private land hunt codes, but all of the private land deer draw hunt codes are in the 400's.

I would guess that all tags were issued in the "N" hunts because of the leftover tag sale after the draw. The quota was probably not met in the regular draw.

Unless I'm reading your spreadsheet wrong, I still think the Y and N indicates if all the tags were issued in the draw. Look at DER 1-113. 25 total tags 14 Res applicants plus 1 N-R only equals 15 total applicants.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom