Tajik Hammer Polo

greatwestern

Very Active Member
My good bud Peter just returned from his Marco Polo hunt with one hell of a monster!

1032polo_i.jpg

16,200 ft elevation, one 139 gr. GMX out of the 7mm WSM through the top of the heart from 642 yards... Mr. Ram went about 25 yards and called it quits

9233polo_ii.jpg

60" long side, 56" broomed, 16" base, 10.5 years old

Congrats Brother! What a HAMMER!!

Yeah Trav, I guess we'll just have to stick with our little midget Deserts and Rockies in the meantime, eh brother? ;)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-11 AT 01:52PM (MST)[p]Nice and BALMY? Are you mad,GW?

When I was there the day-time high was -22 F!!!!!!! You wouldn't want to get caught without your shirt on. LOL

Ask your buddy how he liked the ride to camp from Dushanbe. It's a killer drive but we did get to see alot of Afghanistanis (on the other side of the river, of course).

Your buddy shot a toad! 60" is great but the mass really sets it apart as one of the good ones!

Thanks for sharing with us.

Zeke

I'll do this hunt within 5 years.. Its quickly becoming the best bang for your buck in the sheep hunting world.

I'll be seeing plenty of MP sheep on my November hunt this year, just not hunting them this go 'round. We're chasin' BIG Mid Asian ibex in neighboring Kyrgyzstan for 10 days.

Great pics, GW

------------------
DRSS

ya Zeke, he said it was bloody frigid.... this is his second Polo, 1st was around 55 (unbroomed) with 15 on the base...can't remember age

hey Scott, don't forget to get in touch after the draws...and best of luck for the big ticket Bud!

The altitude is another real problem. A friend of mine made the trip to Tajikistan and said he wouldn't go back even if someone paid his way. He got really sick but managed to harvest anyway.

As part of my preparation I climbed 7 peaks in 7 weeks (all major peaks in northern Ut) and still wasn't ready for hunting at 16000'+ elevation!

Interesting place and very cool rams!

Zeke

nah, the high and thin doesn't bug him too bad...he took the diamox, and he's a pure bred mountain hunter anyway

but yeah, some guys just get hammered up there, no matter how well prepared...altitude is just one of those things that affects each individual differently

Those MPs look pre-historic they are so big!
I love the live shots. He is an obvious toad compared to the others!
Thanks for the pics GW! Unfortunately, for most of us, that hunt is definitely only a dream.

I just marvel at those sheep my goodness. Thanks for sharing the pics GW.

I would love the opportunity to hunt these sheep but there is no way this low elevation desert rat like myself would survive those extremities. Besides I'd be scared to death from getting hijacked and my head cut off by some rebel group.

Gun control is a good aim and a steady rest

Unreal sheep. Really great pictures, if I could pull off a hunt for one of those I'd be all over it - really a hunt of a lifetime!!!
Congrats to the hunter.

I do have one question; How in the hell do those sheep grow such big horns in such an extreme envioroment? Every pic I've seen of MP country looks like snow and rocks.

Gun control is a good aim and a steady rest

you might ask yourself that same question about your own sheep my brother...how many guys have we seen that say "damn! how the hell does ANYthing live out here???"

them argali eat well enough! ;)

>Hey scottyboy,
>Are you on accurate relaoding also?
>
>
>Zeke

Zeke

that's where I spend most of my time when I'm online.. I'm rarely on MM anymore. GW's sheep and goat craziness has me peaking back in here from time to time now!

AR is more my flavor with most hunts on the site leaning towards African and Asian hunts. Are you on there? If so, do you go by the same name?

GW, I will most certainly do that!! The apps are in. God willing, I'll be in either the Floridas or on Wheeler peak with ya this next season!!

------------------
DRSS

My reply went to mid page?? Anyhow Zeke, its up mid page now.

------------------
DRSS

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-11 AT 03:25AM (MST)[p]Must have been a demanding hunt with the altitude and
weather, but definitely a hunt and trophy of a lifetime.
Congratulations on a tremendous ram.

ELDORADO

Scottyboy,
I look at the AR site from time to time but I've never posted. I didn't know it existed until Kathy told me to take a look.
My work gets in the way of doing all I want but without it I would do nothing fun.

Mesquitehunter,
You'd do just fine at altitude but it does affect everyone differently. Maybe the long drive to the Pamirs would help you acclimate.

Thanks GW again for the photos.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-11 AT 04:23PM (MST)[p]10-4 Scotty!

and i don't know why the thing is set up to post replies like that either...it really tweaks my dyslexia :)

Wow that looks like fun!

I don't know anything about Marco Polo's but he looks big.

Congrats!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom