Tajikistan Marco Polo & Ibex

bobby7321

Thought you guys might enjoy this video I made of a recent hunt in Tajikistan. Tons of sheep and ibex out there. Easily saw over 1500 sheep, and probably 400 ibex in two days. Getting to camp is the real adventure...

check it out, let me know what you think.

[bold]http://vimeo.com/80596629[/bold]

thanks!

Well done Bobby!

All the sights, sounds and smells came flooding back to me from my 2008 adventure. It's an interesting place for sure.

Thanks for posting.

Zeke

thanks guys!

I booked the hunt thru The Hunting Consortium. They did a good job, and their guys on the ground over there made everything go very smooth.

Awesome adventure.
One I am sure I will never afford.
I am curious if you were all after sheep and only one connected, or were some just hunting Ibex? Also, were you only planning on three days, or were you just tagged out?
Amazingly harsh, remote country!
Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Just after one sheep. I didn't feel it was necessary to bag two marco polos. I wanted to hunt together (w/ my dad and brother), so splitting up and hunting apart was out of the question for me. And there is a time when pulling the trigger is really a moot issue. So we ALL hunted marco polo, and only killed one sheep :)
not to mention a hefty price tag for those suckers. so I'd rather have two completely different adventures, than two marco polos on the ground.

the ibex we both hunted because it was almost as cheap to hunt ibex as it was to come as an observer, so that was a no brainer.

as far as 3 days of hunting, that was one day longer than anyone else in camp! haha. there is so much game there, and the guides are hauling ass everywhere to get things done, that its normal to be tagged out very quick. I think 90% of the hunters that go on this hunt, tag out within the first couple of days.

I bet that was an experience. What kinda hoops do you have to go thru taking firearms there. How do they treat Americans. Looks like a blast. Thanks for daring the experience.

traveling with the guns was really no problem. We flew Turkish Airlines (which I highly recommend) and they are great. also comfort class is SOOOOO worth the extra few hundred bucks. basically as good as first class as far as I'm concerned.

anyways we flew into Istanbul (direct from LAX) and stayed the night. Outfitter has a guy who meets you at the airport, takes you thru customs and leaves rifles in the airport police station for the night. also drives you to your hotel. not necessary if you catch a connection that same day, but I recommend staying at least a day or two (or three) in Istanbul. Help get over the jet lag and time difference, and see a pretty cool city. Way more to see there than in Dushanbe. Food is damn good too.

So then you leave Istanbul and head to Dushanbe (4 hour flight). They take you to the "VIP" terminal and the guys from the outfit are there and take care of everything. You sit around for a bit, talk with the other hunters that are heading out, and then you start the real fun... the trip to camp :)

while in Tajikistan they treated us very good. camp staff is nice, guides are really good and work hard. after we all tagged out , we headed back to Dushanbe (everyone in the camp travels together). Stayed there for 3 long and boring days. But... time enough for our hosts to get all export/import paperwork in order. we were able to bring back all capes/horns/skulls with us (brough all of ours in a large oversized Cabelas duffle). saves a lot of time, hassle, and money. I was very happy it all worked out how it did.

What an adventure. The country looks so desolate yet holds an abundance of wildlife. The people so hospitable. Thoroughly enjoyed the video and especially seeing those trophies taken. Congrats to the lucky hunters. Truly a dream hunt.

Eldorado

Thanks for the follow-up answer as I hear nothing but good about The Hunting Consortium.

+1 on Istanbul as I was there on Liberty while in the US Navy.

Robb

Wow, what a fantastic adventure. Great video too. I've had a personal top ten list for years. I debated the tenth place between brown bear or Marco Polo sheep. The brown bear won, but after watching your video and a similar hunt on the Magnum Hunt Club I may have to make it a top eleven list and hope for the lottery win.

Thanks for sharing.

Things change on a dime in that part of the world.

In 2008 we were unable to take our own rifles. The President decided that foreigners could not travel with a firearm. Also, hunting was closed for a couple years between your hunt and mine.

Bringing our own trophies into the USA was not an option for us, at the time, so ours were shipped later. When USFWS got involved things turned south and my sheep was confiscated. I eventually got it back from them but not without much work and consternation. All's well that ends well, I guess.

Yep, things certainly change quickly and rarely for the good in that part of the world. I'm glad your whole trip went smoothly and pray it portends the trend in international sheep hunting.

Zeke

Fantastic video....number one dream hunt is Marco Polo. I want to rescue those sheep skulls and give them a proper home...ha

The trips thos camps are LOOOONG...usually jammed with gear and bumpy roads....terrible suspension in the vehciles....but part of the adventure.....

The Ibex hunts are very inexpensive and super cool trophies

Thank you for sharing that video. It is one of the best hunting videos I've seen, especially about MP hunting. Looks like you guys had one fantastic adventure, congratulations.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom