Taking your Dog Scouting

bigbull1

Very Active Member
I take my lab almost everywhere I go when not at work. To include hiking or a quick trip to the store. What are some thoughts about taking your pooch while scouting? Even though she is by my side, would the dog's scent or presence blow deer out before hunt season?

Ed

46b9e43e2071119f.jpg

not too sure about deer and elk, but it was real "interesting" when i took mine on a shed hunt this spring and we ran into a flock of turkeys! good thing i had her collar on otherwise she would probably still be chasing them. she had never run into them before. still laugh when i think about it

I guess it really depends on how close you are to the deer that your scouting. If the deer can smell your dog then they can most likely smell you and may change locations temporarily. My experience with bucks this early though is that they typically won't leave their "preffered area" for long. They have an area they like to hang in and will typically come back as soon as they feel it's safe. Your best bet for scouting with or without your dog would be to stay back and glass from a distance. Maybe 500yds minimum. Preferably more if possible. Then you can watch the bucks and see what they do, where they feed, bed hang out when nobody is around. As far as your dog goes I'm pretty sure I have buddies that stink worse than he does by the time we hit the top of the mountain! As long as he stays by your side and is not chasing around and drawing attention to himself or even worse chasing the deer then I'd say take him with ya. As you get closer to the hunt (within a week) you may leave him home just to be safe though? I know what you mean about liking to take him along though. Involving your dog in day to day life as often as possible sure makes for a MUCH better pet doesn't it!

Good luck with your hunts/scouting this year.

NvrEnuf

I take my Chocolate labs, they are great game spotters. Never had them try and run a deer/elk, but birds are different, oldest one will lock up and point, the youngest will just stare at it.

I'm taking a scouting trip next weekend and plan on taking my yellow lab. I'll be backpacking and camping a few miles in, so the dog will give me some company. I agree with the other posts above...if the dog is well mannered and will not run all over creation, why not bring it along?

LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-07 AT 12:44PM (MST)[p]I think a dog with good manners, ie, not chasing stuff all over creation, is less of an impact scentwise than a human.

I take mine along, I would rather a griz focus on her barking her head off than on me.
junk015.jpg

I like bringing my lab scouting. I hunt in some thick cedar/scrub type area, and often he will spot legs below the trees before I even spot them, since he is closer to the ground.

I was up scouting last weekend in a nice little high basin - it was a great evening and the elk and deer feeding out on the slopes. I was sitting in the trail glassing when a hiker with his chocolate lab came down the trail. We chatted for a minute or two and he continued up the trail. The guy was taking his time and his dog was well behaved, but he blew every elk out of that basin. The deer didn't seem to mind his dog's presence, but those elk immediately left the area despite being a good mile or so below the trail.

any "good dog" will stop on a dead run and come back when called!
A "good dog" knows when to leave your side and venture off but never leave your sight or if he does will come back to you!
My dog has no intrest in any game only ducks and chickens!
sure take your buddy and have fun!
The only thing I say is have him "snake trained"!
its a defanged rattler that used to teach fiddo beware of snake!!
rm

I used to use mine for scouting. She grew up under the skinning tree at camp so she got, and still does get pretty excited about the smell of elk. (Just like everyone else). We would go run the meadows in the middle of the day and the ones she got the most excited about were the ones we would come back and glass in the evenings. She made my scouting pretty easy.

Now she's too old for that anymore, but she still lives for elk and antelope trimmings.

Porcupines were the only real problem. Somewhat of a slow learner there for some reason.

Growing up we had a mutt dog that was one of those very special Rin-tin-tin or Lassie type dogs that will always be a family ledgend. My dad used to take him deer HUNTING with him every year and I, of course, thought it was a bad idea- Intil the day we all hunted together. That dog was slinky like a coyote when we were hunting, would dead stop, drop down and and give a quick wimper when he saw or smelt a deer- which was always before any of his human counterparts. That dog totally understood what we were trying to do and was never the cause of deer spooking. Many a time we saw deer that we would have otherwise spooked out ahead of us if it weren't for "Troubles." My dad would put him on a deer track and just follow him waiting for him to hunch down, hide under a bush, and He'd know a deer was just ahead.

He also bit my brother and I both on the a$$ when we got in a fist fight. We had to face the fact that if the dog was smart enough to know brothers shouldn't be fighting, we'd better cool our wheels.

PS-Any dog that chases deer needs to get shot imediately.

timberlinebanner2.jpg

http://www.naweoa.org/mod.php?mod=userpage&page_id=15&menu=1500

WOW!!!! thats freakin bad!!!

I have seen very few dogs who get as excited as mine.. he literally peels out he tries to run so fast when i let im out of the truck!
Casey

In reference to my last post- Just teasing about shooting your deer chasing dogs, but I do see a lot of neighborhood dogs pack up and wreak absolute havock on deer populations every night (and are smiling on the front porch every morning)

Also, in contrast to what I said about our ol dog Troubles, I wouldn't trust my current dipstick mutt not to screw up an easter-egg hunt, so add that to your thoughts too.

timberlinebanner2.jpg

I have a yellow lab that I also take everywhere with me. He doesn't chase game, mostly because as a pup I think he learned the rabbits can always outrun him! LoL! Anyways, I always take him to check my cameras, scouting, even when I go calling coyotes! I have seen many deer, elk, and coyotes just stand there with me in plain sight to look at my dog. A couple weeks ago I had a bull stand out about 75 yards away watching my dog, while I had a yellow slicker on. Last year while out shed hunting I had a bull that hadn't seen me yet. My dog walked up to him to check him out and the bull bent down, sniffed my dog, then WALKED away. No kidding! Take your dog and have fun!

I take my lab as a pack mule up here. He is well behaved and has never messed up a stalk or chased a deer. He did actually help find a deer my friend shot last year. There wasn't a blood trail and it piled up under a bunch of brush. We had been looking for a half hour and about ready to give up when I called the dog and noticed he was sniffing something. Ended up being the hind leg of the deer sticking out of the alders. He just kind of looked at us like "is this what you two are looking for".
Some pics from past hunts with the lab.
PackMule.jpg

DudePacking.jpg

PackMule.jpg

2006Buck5.jpg

No.....he's mans best friend because you can kick him in the ass and rub his nose in his own sh.t before you leave for work, and he's there waiting for you with his tail-a-waggin' when you get home. :) Gotta love their loyalty.

Those are great pics....good lookin' "pack mule"! :)

I've once again managed to ruffle some feathers with my comments. Apparently, using dogs to chase down deer is common practice in some places and my implication that deer chasing dogs should be shot is not very popular among the practitioners of this fine endeavor, and rates among the ?dumbest comment ever read on this site?.

I'll admit that I'm not familiar with all the hunting laws and practices going on in different states and I also admit a personal distaste for using dogs to chase down deer independent of it's provincial legality. That's just my opinion and here in NM it's also quite legal to chase down bears and lions (and coons) with dogs.

Either way, I wasn?t trying to offend anyone or stir up the pot. Good luck to all law-abiding hunters and enjoy doing your thing out there, and I'll continue my thing of controlling the numbers of feral and closet outlaw dogs allowed to roam the hills here in NM chasing and killing game on a daily/nightly basis (using words when possible and bullets when necessary).

I loved this thread, and I'm sorry to once again find myself somehow hijacking it.

timberlinebanner2.jpg

Looks like I posted the same picture twice. Guess that's what I get for posting at 6am. Anyway here's the one I meant to post.

BuckValley.jpg

and this one from last weekend. Spotted 14 bucks but nothing bigger than a 3x4 including eyeguards. Also no spikes or little forks this year, due to the winter kill.

Aug07DeerHunting.jpg

Awesome pix! lets see some more! as much as my dog loves going out, he does not stay right next to me. he does like to go and sniff around, but i see no harm in that! I will not take him hunting, just scouting. he is, however great for quail hunting! He is not a poiting mut, but he does jump up the covey and that way i can see there they go, he doesnt chase them just watches em and looks at me with a look like "dad, what the hell was that?! What do i do now?" thats when i make him heal up and then we go get em!

Sunday, I will be taking him scouting with me, and he doesnt have a problem riding on the quad with me.
Casey

tmbrlinewarden
I really don't want to get into a pissing contest with you over this but deer dogs are not used to RUN DOWN DEER, they are used to jump and find crippled and dead deer(that's a good thing).The
next time you catch a dog that can run down deer call me and I
will buy it from you,that way I won't have to carry that heavy
rifle anymore. I think if you ever hunted with Buddy and me you
would have a better understanding of the sport.
Don

I also take my dog "Mack" with me scouting and he is seven years old now. He's 1/2 border collie and 1/2 aussie. He is without a doubt the smartest dog that I have ever owned in my 50 years. I live in Washington state and it is not legal to run deer or elk with dogs. That being said there have been some comments on this thread that I totally agree with. One being that any dog worth it's salt will stop doing whatever it is doing when told or yelled to do so. Some may not like it but on the three different occasions in my lifetime that I have encountered dogs running deer, they were shot!! DEAD!! The first was when I was only eight years old and a mulie doe came running by my grandpa and me with her tounge litteraly hanging out of her mouth and just a few seconds behind her was a mutt of some kind about 70 lbs hot on her. My grandpa let the air out of the mutt right then and there. Who knows how long that poor doe had been trying to lose that dog? The other two instances were pretty much the same. I think that if people love their dogs and want the best for them they will train them properly and keep tabs on them at all times (kinda like your kids). All the people that we hunt with here pretty much have the same views when it comes to dogs running deer.
I hope you all have a successful season!!

While I absoulutely love dogs, I have to agree with the comments about dogs getting loose and causing havoc with wildlife. Where we hunt for deer and turkeys near where we live, there are many homes surrounding the ranches we hunt. These ranches range from 1,000 acres to about 4,000 acres. The rancher, against my better judgement, told me that he expected me to shoot every dog we saw when he had cattle on the ground. After seeing the damage that dogs did to a few of his cows, I became a believer. One time, my partner shot three dogs, a shepard, a rottweiler and doberman, that had a heifer cornered where two fences came together and they were mauling her. He killed all three dogs with his shotgun. The rancher had to put the heifer down later. Once while running traps for coyotes and bobcats, I had a doe deer run past me and less about 15 seconds later, here came a very winded german shepard. A few quick shots with my .22 and the doggie wasn't chasing anymore deer. The house the dog belonged to was one I drove past every day going to check my trapline, and I saw that dog running free often. Another time, the rancher shot two free running dogs within sight of their owner's home, since they were chasing his cows. He went and hung the carcasses on the fence, didn't have any dog problems for a while after that, either.

Dogs are great and wonderful companions, but the ones who're left to run free become little troublemakers, all too often.

By the way, on one of the main roads that crosses into our county, there is a large sign put up by the county that states "Dogs worrying or chasing livestock will be shot on sight." That states it pretty well, I think.

Just got back from scouting in eastern Nevada with Lucy. She is a smart bird dog, and once I sat down and pulled out the spotter and gave her a "Shhhhh" she would lay behind me, try to quit panting and wait. She quickly remembered the heel command after I spotted deer or elk and we had a great time, with the exception of the electrical storm at 10,000' the first afternoon. Caught rain, hail, and had a lighting strike across the canyon (way to close for me) while watching a 26" four point come feeding behind quakies. We made record time covering the mile to the jeep.

The only thing she chased was a ground squirrel around a tree trunk.

I would take her again to include the hunt. Wish I would have last year.

Thanks for the imput.

Ed

46cb121e12ca9d4a.jpg

Hve a good buddy, and fellow member on here who takes is wire hair everywhere! she loves it! she also does very well when on a leash hiking.

My dog, this past weekend did very well when i sat down and glassed. he laid between my little brother and i and did fine. every so often he would go up and walk about a 10-15 diameter cirlce around us, just checking things out. I would give him a whistle, or just a snap or a call and he would come back and lay down right next to us.

Dogs scouting is not a bid deal at all. however, I would not take my dog deer or elk hunting with me!
Casey

Obviously, the key is to have a well behaved dog and to keep it with you. The other key point is to pick and choose the proper situations.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom