Talk me out of a diesel!!!

BGbasbhat

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-10 AT 08:07AM (MST)[p]I'm in the process of selling my 01 Ford Ranger, since it's too small for my use (family and hauling) and getting high in miles.

So, in the reading i've been doing, I'm looking at a 97-02 F250 with a 7.3L Powerstroke. I don't tow all that much (a popup); but very well could in the future (buddy's 20ft camper). I do have a good amount of automotive knowledge with gas engines; but not as much with diesel....even though they are fairly similiar.

Pros:
More interior room
Bigger bed
Towing/hauling capacity
Chip it and get 16+mpg empty(which is what my Ranger is getting right now)
More efficient and durable engine
Engine lasts longer than regular gas
Heavier and stronger driveline and suspension components

Cons:
New truck would probably have some miles (130k+)
Higher cost of gas (negate the better mpg?)
Higher cost of oil changes/regular maintenance (though I'd be doing it myself)

Soooo, what are your thoughts???? Any other suggestions? What about the V10 during those years?

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

I would stay away from the V10's. They aren't made real well in my opinion, they get horrible gas mileage, and they don't tow/haul well. I went from the Dodge Hemi 1/2 ton 4x to a '04 6.0 powerstroke 4x (thankfully a late '04) and I won't go back to a gas pickup. Mines chipped as well, getting 17mpg in the city and 21-22 on the highway. The fuel does cost more but the tank is nearly twice as big as what you had in the Ranger so it comes close to balancing out. My father in law has the 7.3 and those things are great as well. Certainly more reliable than a '03-early '04 6.0 that had so many issues. It doesn't have as much hp or torque as mine does but if you don't plan to pull/haul a lot it'll do just fine. I love the room, towing, hauling, and blowing smoke inside of the rice burner cars sitting next to me with that damn base going to haha. Plus you go 7500 miles between oil changes so that sort of balances out to. I would buy the diesel if you plan to have the same truck for a while. Good luck!

"Some days its just not worth chewing through the restraints"

Just spill a little on your hunting clothes, that oughta work ;-)

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx290/slamdunk_04/E1x1BWINV1-2.jpg[/IMG]

I have had at least 8 diesels and this time I bought a gas and I can't wait to go back to a diesel.

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

7.3 is as good a motor Intl. ever made! I have a 02 F350 7.3 with no chip 8FT. box, crew cab and get 19 mpg empty. Oil change $45.00 with 15/40 Shell Rotella T and a Motorcraft filter DIY . The only thing except regular maintance I have had to do was glow plugs and Ford recalled it once for a cam shaft positioning sensor.. It has been the best truck I have ever owned and I bought it new in 02.

Great insight scpaisley. I've heard the same about the V10s; but there sure are alot more of those out there for sale...guess that should tell me something.

And that's the thing, I'd like to have the truck for as long as I can. Vehicles are horrible investments, so I'm trying to get something that will suit my needs for a long time to come.

jodog, that's awesome! That is my goal right there. Get good MPGs and do regular/preventative maintenance, and have a truck that can do anything I want it to do from hauling kids, to campers, to building supplies.

I had a V-10 and I got about 10 miles to the gallon. Never again! My last truck was a diesel and I'm glad I sold it when a gallon of diesel was $3. I never had to pay the $5 per gallon it was at one time. Not sure if I'll ever buy a diesel again.

Steve

Gas mileage should NEVER be the determining factor in buying a diesel. However, if you are pulling a large trailer, often,
then go diesel.

I have a 7.3 and it is great for pulling my toy hauler. However, if I didn't have a trailer, I would buy a half ton and call it good.

Also, try driving a 1 ton diesel in the hills for a while and see how well it does lol...

Not trying to talk you out of one but think hard about the decision. As I said earlier, I don't think you save that much $$$ in gas mileage. Also, I have spent more $$$ on repairs of that 7.3 than all the 3/4 and 1/2 tons I have owned...

Maybe, possibly... if you buy one of the older cummins motors, the better gas mileage might make it worth it. But then again, I am not sure if you know or have a good Chiropractor..

LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-10 AT 12:16PM (MST)[p]I have an '02 7.3, after having two other PSDs. Thought about getting a new one, but, this one runs so well and it is paid for. 6 speed, F350, I get about 18 on the highway not using a tuner and about 12-14 pulling a trailer.

Mileage on diesels is relative; I wouldn't worry about one unless it showed obvious signs of wearing out.
I think the towing ability of a PSD would outweigh the cost of gas v. diesel. Oil changes...14 quarts is a lot of oil, but, the duration is longer too.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Good info woodruff. I appreciate all opinions I can get.

I know MPGs shouldn't be that big of a factor in truck buying; but I can't help but turn towards a diesel when F150s get worse MPGs than most diesels, AND aren't capable of towing much.

I probably wouldn't be pulling anything THAT substantial to necessitate a diesel for right now....but it'd be nice to know I could...and a more than likely be able to pull my buddies out when they get their Duramaxes stuck. Further, I plan on keeping this truck as long as possible, and bigger campers are likely to be in my future.

I've driven and thought about lighter duty trucks but I'm kinda SOL in my situation:
i.e. 97-04 F150 (cant afford 05+)
-Crew Cabs only come with a short, piddly bed, that isn't much bigger than my Ranger
-Ext Cabs can be found (though I still haven't found one) with long beds; but aren't comfortable for adults in the back seat
-MPGs are lucky to get over 15.
-Ugly as sin

One thing you didn't mention is where you live. Is diesel fuel readily available? Try finding diesel fuel in So. Cal. The other thing is that diesels are susceptible to long periods of cold weather. I have had the fuel gel/freeze up in my truck before. Even with the truck plugged in nothing heats the fuel tank and after a couple of days of sub zero lows I made it halfway down the block before the truck died. Just something to think about.

Why keep the Ranger tedcrf450? Dont' get me wrong, it's been a great truck...but isn't much for carrying anything but me....with the wife, her endless amount of crap, and hopefully kids soon, I'll need something for toting them around.

infinitecircles
I live in Phoenix, so diesel is readily available....which is nice. Hopefully, I wont have to deal with sub-zero temps....lol...

My V-10 '08 gets 13/10, and you can't hear it running with the windows rolled down and you can hook up a trailer without getting fumigated. It can tow anything. And best of all you can order from the driveup window without shutting it off.:)

Diesels stink, are noisey and twice as much to fix when the time comes. My brother's '09 Dog diesel gets 19/16. It would take a long time to recoop the extra $5K.

Just my .02

HK

I think you could get one cheap. Check out AyA's post here on the campfire.

Get the Diesel, you wont regret it.

Have you decided on your new Rifle yet ?

+1 HK I've got a 99 F 250 with a v-10. It gets 14.5 on the highway and 11 around town, it's got 182,000miles on it. It's the best truck I've ever owned. I've been looking for a newer one with low miles, but all I can find is 6.0 diesels, now theres a real p.o.s. motor. Whatever you do don't get a 6.0, a 7.3 is way more reliable. Thanks, Brownie.

Good info the the V10 HK and brownie. And, you're right it'd take a while to recoup the extra cost of a diesel. Though I am planning on keeping it for a looooooonnnnngggg time. I've heard the same about the 6.0Ls, so I'm trying to avoid those at all costs.

Tag - Yeah, I'd just have to fish the french fries and onion rings outta the tank, and I'd be good right? Man, I hope that dude was joking...lol

I went practical and got a Rem 700 in .300 win mag with a Leupy 3-10x50 on top. Maybe one of these days, I'll saddle up with a big burner like your 30-378...man that thing was sweet. But, I can buy ammo for $24 at SW for the win mag!!!

Do you think thats the problem?:) I do live out in the sticks where 85 is the norm and I avg about 100 miles a day:) It really drinks the heck out of it when you are creeping around the pasture looking at the cattle and doing a little road hunting/evening drive/beer drinking around the property

LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-10 AT 03:39PM (MST)[p]To Inhale?
Or not to Inhale?
If you do get the Diesel,don't forget to remove the Obama Pipe and run one or two of them big ole 10" smokestacks up through the bed and let people know you're PROUD!

Aya, didya get them french fries outta your tank yet? lol

Go to the gas pumps....look at the diesel valve...if you want to play with that mess...by all means... buy one.

Easy Lil Red,
Sounds as if 1911 mighta came home with spillage on his Uniform?
Diesels ain't for everybody!}>}>}>
They are slowly but surely gonna keep screwing with them until nobody will want one for the following reasons:

60K Truck price
Obama approved Smogger engines (that don't work/last)
4.00+ per gallon fuel prices
Piss Poor fuel Mileage(They're already workin on this)
Unreliability

Looks like a good way to phase them out to me?

I dread going back to a gas engine for a work/tow rig,with only 1/2 the Torque & 1/2 the fuel mileage it's gonna SUCK,but I can see it coming!

Thanks all for the advice! I'll keep you posted on if I get anything.

Buying a diesel motor is not a big deal unless you buy one that is flat wore out. I've had diesel pick ups for over 20 years and have NEVER had one in the shop except for a few recalls. The trick to a diesel motor or any motor is to service it regularly, use good oil and good filters and change the fuel filter!!! I put about 6 new fuel filters on a year and never have had injector trouble.Take care of them and they will last a very long time. Good luck.

BBOP I was just being funny, I thought :) Lil Red loves diesel's
the smell, the power,heck even the way they sound.

I enjoy driving Our Power stroke as much as 45.(if not more):)

Good advice there jodog. I'm a stickler for preventative maintenance, so I'm hoping I can keep one chugging for a long time.

Sounds like you already have your mind made up, but nevertheless, I'll throw in my two cents.

I've owned two 7.3's, 3 cummins, and a duramax. If you really pull a lot the diesel is the way to go. I'm a rancher and pull moderate loads quite a few times a year. I thought Diesel was the only way to go. Until now. I spent a lot of money keeping the Ford's running. glowplugs, injectors, relay switches, trannies, and several front ends on the '99. Sold them and went to Dodge. My favorite was the o4 dodge. No problems ever, except the bed cracked in half. 07 Duramax would outrun them all, but I got stuck everywhere I went.

Bottom line is I couldn't afford to own a diesel. I sold them and bought a used 99 GMC crewcab 5.7 liter gas 3/4 ton and it's my favorite truck in a long time. It's paid for, it get's 16 mpg, it's smoother than any of the diesels off road. I can't pass very many people, and I don't pull monster loads of hay or machinery, but it does it all, just a little slower.

If you can afford a diesel, you will love it. I just found I saved enough money to go on several more hunts by owning the used gas truck. I just have to leave an hour or two earlier to get to the hunting spot since it's so slow on the freeway!

Lil Red,
I know you were,I was just trying to be funny back!
Just kinda had a vision of 1911 getting his clean uniform soaked in diesel fuel & you chewing his tail!}>}>}>

Great post deerbedhead. It sounds like you've been around the block a time or two with diesels.

At this point, I'm looking to buy a 99-02 F250/F350, so it wont break the bank too bad. Heck, a decent used gas truck isn't that much less, so I figure i'm doing alright.

But we'll see....still working on selling my Ranger!

deerbedead pretty much has the same feelings I've got. Unless you're pulling large loads or medium loads alot you'll be money ahead to stay with gas. Diesels are extremely expensive to work on, and if buying used you really put yourself out on a limb unless you have a qualified diesel mechanic look at it and then there are no guarantees.

+1 Frontier, my feelings exactly. The only thing I'll disagree with is their is one guarantee, that we're all gonna die, and we can't take any of this neat stuff with us.
Thanks
Doug

Wrong again Homer, That's all we need is more "JAP CRAP" driving around, give me a Diesel any day.

Besides it would take alot of rice to power that POS!!!

I'M JUST SAYING!!!:)

Living in Montana I see lots of trucks, drive one myself. I am looking to get a good used one myself. I'm staying away from diesels as the biggest load I'll tow is my 22 foot camper. Cracks me up when I see a giant oil burner that usually only sees the heavy load of a black lab. Todays fuel injected gasoline engines can and do live as long as diesels with good maintenance. They make plenty of torque and horses too. Justifying a diesel would be tough for the way I use a truck. Sounds like you will be using one in a similar way. mtmuley

I didn't have the energy to read all the replys but if you go with the diesel get a Fumoto valve for the DIY oil changes it makes them soo much easier

I seen a Fumoto valve fail once in some off road activity!
Are the newer valves more failsafe?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-10 AT 05:24PM (MST)[p]if it has an auto tranny and it has not been rebuilt do not buy it!!! auto trannys last between 100-140k on those. as for the engine 130 k like you state is not bad for a 7.3 know several people in the 200-250 k and still running good.

second if your towing much i dont see why you would not get a diesel. syou can pull much better and faster than gas and still maintain decent mpg. diesel motors generally last longer. the down side to diesels are the repairs are much more costly if something does fail

Frontier and Brownie
I will say, i'm pretty lucky regarding diesel repair costs..hopefully. For the normal repairs, I should be able to handle; but my former roommate works for Ford as a mechanic, and has a 7.3 himself...along with a few of our buddies. You're right though, regardless of repairs, the parts do cost more..so that will be a variable in the equation.

HomerJ
I don't know man, those Tundras are nice. My dad has one; but man I can't afford anything close to that!! I'm staying under $15k!

mtmuley
I fully agree. I probably would be towing a camper about that size, which would be fine for a V8.
The problem I have is V8s (1500s, F150s..) get worse MPGs than a diesel, and they don't have any space. Heck, if you find one that can comfortably fit 4 people, your bed is smaller than my Ranger's.
I'd just like to grab up my wife and a couple friends, load up the truck and be comfortable driving/camping all over the southwest. I want to have space in the bed and be able to stretch out in the cab.

BBop and scooby
Those Fumoto valves aren't bad. I saw more than a few of those in my days down in the pit at the shop.. Most were leaking when they came in...so I'm not to much on them.

theox
Good info on the trannies. It makes sense that most diesels are towing something most of their life, and trannies would be one of the first things to go out. Like I said, i've always prided myself on preventative maintenance, which is what drew me to diesels. If you take care of them, they'll run forever.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom