Target

4_Plesur

Hey all,
My new house is almost finished with construction and I'm going to have an unfinished basement - perfect for shooting my bow. I trust my shooting - well a little. What would you suggest I put down range? Type of target? Couple bails of hay? Cardboard? How much for a good quality target that will last?

Thanks
Jason

Make your own! Line a garbage can with a bag. Spray in a bunch of that expandable foam, kock a few bubbles out of it and let it sit for a few days. Pull it out of the can, take off the bag and shoot the living sh!t out of it. It's cheap, will stop just about any carbons and will last a lot longer than those soft foam sillouette targets. I shoot carbons at over 300 fps and that target will stop em dead every time.
Eric

Eric, how much $$$ do you thing you put into yours? That sounds like a great idea. I bought one of those foam ones and stuck it in my back yard and the first shot my arrow went right through it and smashed into the wall with the field point shoved about 2" into the arrow. And where do you get the spray in foam? Thanks

I've been using a bag target at my shop (14 yards) for a few years with great success.

If you put up a piece of 3/4" plywood (not chipboard) behind the target about 4" out from the wall you will have a perfect back stop for misses.

If you can hang the bag target with bungy cords it will last for a few years.

Here's a basement range from a guy I know. He built his new house so that he'd have a 72' total and two lanes to shoot in the basement.

range.jpg

Cheers,
Pete

Eric,
Where can I get some of that expandable foam and how much does it cost? I'm in Salt Lake so if you know any local place that would be great!

Thanks guys for the tips.

Jason

Pete,
That looks like a great range your buddy has setup. Unfortunately my basement isn't that big but it gives me some great ideas for my next home.
Thanks for sharing the picture.

I use to just get a couple of little spray cans of the stuff at Home Depot for about $4 a can. But now I get a 2 part mix from a friend and it works just as well. I cant remember what it is actually called, but it isnt all that expensive. I will look it up when I get home today and give you more info. I am still shooting the same target that I made 2 years ago. When it starts to get a little worn,I take a can of the stuff. incert the straw into the holes, squirt a tiny bit in and let it sit for a day or two. Works pretty good.
Eric

Look at WASCO's website. It is a taxidermy supply company that sells the two part urethane foam. It is used to make mannikins, and bases,etc. It is reasonable for what it turns into. I think the gallon mixes should be ~$50-60. You wouldn't use all of it on one target, but probably 2-3 would be my guessitmate.
Make sure you mix it very well. Once you pour it, let it set until cool, otherwise it is a sticky mess. It should make an excellent target if it is poured dense enough.

I would figure out how large the target needs to be and tie the bag off at that spot once you pour the foam. That should make the foam denser. Good shootin'

Josh

Take a cardboard box or a gunnysack and stuff it full of shrink wrap, this should stop your arrows even at close range. I shoot a 2003 Ultratec and it stops my carbon arrows with field tips very well, and it is pretty cheap.

Travis

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom