Taurus Millenium 45 ACP?

JACO

I'm thinking of selling my 9mm and getting a 45. I've been looking at the Taurus Millenium Pro model for several reasons, but I'm open to suggestions.

First and most important is the size - my S&W Sigma 9mm is a little too big to conceal and carry comfortably. It hasn't been too big an issue, but some of the clothes I wear don't conceal it enough (especially in the summer), and I end up leaving it at home. The Taurus is much more compact, and could probably fit nicely in my pocket.

Caliber - I like the 9mm because it is inexpensive to shoot, but I would really like to up the stopping power and go with the 45 ACP. I carry my pistol while archery hunting, and after a couple of close encounters with a bear this past season, I would like a little more assurance.

Price - At under $400, I think I could get enough out of my 9mm + ammo and accessories to cover the Taurus, or close to it.

Quality - For the price, Taurus seems to have great quality in their manufacturing. The ones I've handled and shot have had nice, smooth action.

Looks/feel - I like the look and feel of the Taurus. The polymer frame is light weight.

I guess I'm just looking for any comments or suggestions from those of you who have owned a Taurus auto. I'm pretty set on 45 ACP, so don't try and talk me out of the caliber. I'm open to look at different manufacturers / models, but I need a compact, concealed carry automatic. I don't want a revolver at this point, I will save my money and add a revolver later on.

Nocked N Loaded

Also, do any of you know the procedures for selling a handgun on KSL? I understand that the buyer must be 21, and a bill of sale should be issued, but is there anything else that must be done?

Nocked N Loaded

Not sure about in state sales, but if you sell to a guy in another state, ur gonna have to deal with an FFL..you may have to anyway, not sure.

After a little looking I don't think you could have made a better choice.That is a good pistol and a great value.I have a Kimber compact .45 and I love it.

LAST EDITED ON May-09-10 AT 04:44PM (MST)[p]I have been looking at getting a 45 ACP this year as well, mainly for bow hunting bear protection...

That being said, I can't decide between the Taurus or Smithfield XD...Thanks for the post.

You guys that are thinking of buying a compact 45 ACP should look at the line of 45's that Para USA is putting out.

I like the compact 45 with the LDA, long double action trigger if you do not like to carry a "cocked and locked" single action 1911.

I have shot several of them and have found them to be accurate and the double action trigger pull was light and smooth. You can get a single stack magazine or double stack magazine for the guys who want 10 shots in a small compact 45 ACP.

They have a web site, check it out and make your own opinion.

RELH

I've looked at the Para Ordnance compacts. I love the way they look, feel, and everything else about them, except for the price. They are just out of my price range. If I had the cash, I would most likely get one of them.

I appreciate the suggestion, any others are welcome.

Nocked N Loaded

>LAST EDITED ON May-09-10
>AT 04:44?PM (MST)

>
>I have been looking at getting
>a 45 ACP this year
>as well, mainly for bow
>hunting bear protection...
>
>That being said, I can't decide
>between the Taurus or Smithfield
>XD...Thanks for the post.

Go with the Springfield XD in the compact version. Can do the short 10 round mag for CC or the 13 rounder for zombie confrontations. BTW mine feeds the CCI snake shot loads :)

A couple more models that I'd like some feedback on from those of you who've shot them:

Cobra Patriot Series 45
Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact 45

I don't really know much about either one, just stumbled across them in my research. I don't really like the looks of the Cobra, but they are made in Utah, so I'd like to support local manufacturing if it is a good gun, smooth action, etc., looks are pretty low on my list of important features.

I like the looks of the Bersa, but honestly don't know much about them, never shot or handled one.

Nocked N Loaded

LAST EDITED ON May-14-10 AT 00:56AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-14-10 AT 00:55?AM (MST)

Smith&Wesson M&P .45 compact
Glock 30 or 36 compact .45
Springfield XD OR XDM .45 compact
H&K USP compact .45

These are all proven reliable with good triggers.

Only the HK is a traditional double action the rest are striker fired.

The Taurus Pistols and revolvers do not have a very good reputation and neither does their customer service. Save a little more and buy a higher quality gun, one you can stake your well being on.

BTW- you can generate more energy out of a compact 10mm like the glock 29 than any .45 (or .357 for that matter). Doubletap ammo makes some serious hardcast 180 and 200 grain penetrator loads for the 10mm. This is what I would choose out of a compact auto for mountain carry. (if I didn't carry a .44 mag revolver).

Guys, a little update from my previous post above. It has been several years since I shot several of the Para Ordance pistols.

Those pistols were made when they had their facility located in Canada. In the past year they moved to Charlotte, NC and hired new people at the plant.

I did some research and found numerous comments about poor quality control in their recent guns. Reports of extractor and ejector breaking within the first 100 rounds of use. Also poor finish and even some reports of the cast slides getting cracks. Sounds like poor heat treatment to me.

The worse comments was about very poor service under the gun's lifetime warranty. Two or more months turn around time for repairs and they always request you send them the pistol for even a small part repair like the removable extractor.

Hopefully they will correct these problems in time, but you need to keep it in mind when you look at their products. I am calling my dealer and cancelling my request for him to find one of their Expert ESP pistols that I was going to use as a second gun for my IDPA shooting matches.

RELH

I have two of them, each have had about 2K put through them without a problem. My wife uses hers as a CCW gun.

Some of the earlier generations had mechanical problems...I THINK related to the slide. Make sure, if you buy one, that you get a third gen or later weapon.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

I had a sig pro .40 never got to shoot unfortunatly...anyways i just bought a springfield xd bitone and love it...you can get xds here for as low as 425...i wanted a xdm but here in idaho i had a hard enough time finding one in a .40 and i was staying with the .45 acp...they are on back order. My brother in law has a taurus...i just didnt like the handling of it. I have big hands though and have a hard time finding any pistol that feels right..if money wasnt an issue i would have bought a kimber..

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

RELH: Thanks for the updated info.

feddoc: Good to know that they will hold up after a lot of use, thanks for the review.

Do any of you own a Bersa? I'd like more info on them.

I'll probably end up getting the Taurus, the positive feedback outweighs the negative feedback about them, and any negative I have received is second-hand.

Nocked N Loaded

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom