Taxidermist and Muzzy question

T

trotsky

Ok I know I am a new poster and after 4 years of watching these forums I have finally lucked out and drawn a 34 muzzy tag. I would love to ask for some help in scouting but I realize that I can not expect that being a new poster. So I only have two questions. The first is where can I find a good taxidermist in this area. I know this is putting the wagon in front of the horse, but I would like to be prepared just in case. The second is what do you guys consider the best muzzleloader. I have a Omega BDC scope and don't want to spend over 600 on a smoke pole. Right now I have been looking at the Pro Hunter FX and CVA. Any feed back would be appreciated.

As far as scouting goes for you guys interested in unit 34 I will offer this up. I have been scouting for the past four weeks. The best bulls I have seen have been in Potato Canyon this year. I have been bumping into elk left and right as long as you are willing to travel a ridge or two from the road. I have some game cameras out that I plan to pull next week. They have been out for about three weeks and I hope they will deliver. Anyhow I want to say thank you to all the guys who post here. I have learned more about the unit by watching this forum the last couple years then I could ever expect. In any luck I will meet up with some of you this October or scouting season as I search for my first ever bull elk

The cva surprised me with its accuracy. I wouldn't be afraid to buy one. On the BDC scope, I had two that were junk! The last one they give us so far is a good one.

Do you know how many people you just invited to steal your camera's? Or is this a reverse phychology post..lol I hope so, if not you may have some company on your hunt!

Make a poop to me, as I am out this year.

im not a muzzy hunter but i do know a taxidermist that can help u out and would be glad to!!! elite archery and taxidermy 575-762-7545

There is a taxidermist in Alamogordo. Mike Garcia, of Garcia Taxidermy and one of the best. He's also a member of National Taxidermist Association and won countless awards in the Master Class. I highly recommend. 575-491-4287.

If you get a chance break away from scouting and go check out his shop.

MBBGH

both are good taxis.

Keep in mind where you see the elk now, may not be where they are at come time for your hunt. Things change a lot after Aug.

I have that tag also, pm me and I will try to give you some ideas and can talk about muzzle loaders also. $600 will get you a gun/scope. powder, bullets, misc will be at least another $150.

I have the very same scope , and just went down too the local pawn shops and looked around I found one for 50 bucks a steal it is a CVA wolf mag . I know its a risk to shop for a muzzy like that but i took my time looked it over a ton. no cracks ,corrosion etc etc . top it with the omega and come sept its gonna draw blood . i have already fiered it a bunch on steel at multiple ranges and its good too go . but like paul said your gonna get an extra cost on the rest of the junk that goes along with the stick .

Regarding the MuzzY:

Bought the TC Pro Hunter FX in May and have put 75 rounds through it, trying out different loads and bullets. Listened to the advice that I heard on the forum and all the different Muzzy's one could buy. I weeded through the BS, and can tell you, the Pro Hunter FX is awesome.

I put a Burris Scope on it, and have been 1/4 inch groups some days ~vs~ 1 inch groups on other days out to 200 yeards.

Now my only concern is should I start practicing out to 250.......

Pro Hunter FX, was a great buy!

Hey guys

Sorry that it has been about four weeks since I posted this. That is one reason I was hesitant to post on an online forum because I know I am horrible about keeping up.

Just wanted to say that in the past four weeks I have been getting sent all over for work and my days off I have not been able to post again.

Since I pulled my last camera I thought I would give you my scouting thoughts.

The Good

I have seen numerous 5x5 and 6X6 while scouting for elk. The area is so green right now that you may mistake a regular cow for a cow elk.

I have had at least three cameras out since the start of June. I may have not gotten any pictures of a massive elk but I have never had a picture of someone else walking by my camera.

I have been out all but two weekends since the draw came out and it that isn't awesome I don't know what is.

The Negative

I have never gotten a good pic on trail camera of a nice bull. I have one blurry picture but that is it.

I purchased an Accura V2 and have talked to the taxidermist in Alamo. After seeing his work I can only hope I will be lucky enough to bring an animal there to have mounted. As far as the V2 goes I couldn't be happier. It is shooting tacks (as best as a muzzleloader can) and I will keep practicing until the season starts.

The only real negative I have had is that I had some ecoterrorist harass me about two weeks back. Unfortunately I camped next to her and she proceeded to call me an A hole and many other unmentionables. If you see some one camping with a gold F250 and about a 20 foot slide out, do yourself a favor and avoid them.

In closing it has been a great scouting season. I can not get out for the next two weeks and after that I have my archery deer tag. With any luck I won't sail a good 4 point like I did las year.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom