Taxidermist in the Book Cliffs area

N

nocalhonker

Is there a good taxidermist in the area. A friend and I were lucky enough to draw rifle deer tags. If we are lucky enough to harvest good bucks that we want to mount would like to get it caped right. Also what is a good town to stay in there. It would only be a night or two. We have a wall tent but might need a shower or if we run into problems or get there late in the day might want to stay in town instead of setting up the tent in hte dark. Thanks John

John--assuming by your handle that you are from CA and will be coming across I-70 and accessing the bookcliffs from south, if that is the case, your best bet would be to stay in Rangely CO or Green River and go up from there. As far as taxidermitst go, there are a couple in Rangley and a slug of them in the Unita Basin (vernal area) to cape out a deer--pick one and go with them. Again depeding on what side of the divide you are on north to Vernal, south to Rangely.

Todd Black
BTO

Thanks yea coming from northern Ca. about 1 hr. north of Sacramento through Reno and across. John

If you are coming from the Roosevelt, Vernal area, it is 50-60 miles back on a dirt road to the pavement and another 20 or so to Vernal or Roosevelt. I would suggest taking a portable showers with you. Either way, I-70 side or Vernal side, you are a long ways from a hot shower when hunting the Books. Bring lots of extra gas cans cause you will probably need them.

I went in from Roosevelt two weeks ago, took me 1.5 hours to get all the way accross Seep Ridge Road and a quarter tank of gas.

The Book Cliffs is pretty far from civilization, Vernal and Roosevelt being the closest to the North end, and Fruita CO or Green River UT being the closest to the South end. From your second post, it sounds like you will be coming in from Roosevelt or Vernal. I recommend Mountain Man Taxidermy in Vernal (435)789-4165, he does great work. I agree with Elkhunter96 that you should consider a portable shower and extra gas cans, they will be needed. You would lose basically a whole day of hunting by taking a trip to town and back for showers or supplies.

Nocked N Loaded

+1

Pack what you need to stay the hunt. Extra water, extra gas, at least two spare tires (2 for both truck and trailer), plenty of food, mantles, fuel, , clothes, etc. Baby wipes are your friend!

I used Mountain Man last year for my son's archery buck and he did a fabulous job.

Mtn man did a great job on my dads deer, however he used the wrong form..

Theres a relatively new gas station at pelican lake. Any other services you will have to go to town. Take a shower, Esquire rv in vernal will rent a camp trailer if that is something you might be interested in. TJ's tire in Roosevelt is the best tire shop around, Chances are you will be in to see them. It is almost a full day to run to town for supplies and back. PM me if you have any more questions I live here and work there and would be happy to help.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom