taxidermy insurance/appraisal

predator

Very Active Member
I was wondering if there are those of you out there who have insured your mounts? I asked my homeowner's agent about it, but he had not a clue. I assume one would have to get an appraisal, but who in the world do you call?

Moosie, I'm thinkin' you can help me on this one.

Pred

I know in Wild Sheep mag. from FNAWS, that there is some advertisement about insurance or donating mounted heads and they have apprased values listed. Let me see if I can find it and I'll let ya know.

Ya might try calling Brad Braner @ Liberty Mutual in Bountiful. He has a heads up on all that insurance gig and he has a way nice trophy room too.

HELLO pred

I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU'D CALL BUT OFTEN WONDERED THE SAME THING!!!

EVERYBODY HAS TROPHIES THAT WOULD BE VERY HARD TO PUT A VALUE ON,SOME SO UNIQUE YOU KNOW THEY COULD NEVER EVEN COME CLOSE TO BEING REPLACED!!!

THE THOUGHTS OF LOOSING WHAT TOOK A LIFETIME TO ACHIEVE WILL MAKE ANYBODY SICK!!!

THERE ARE SOME THINGS THAT MONEY CAN'T REPLACE,I WONDER IF INSURANCE ADJUSTERS KNOW THE VALUE OF THE TROPHIES I'M TALKING ABOUT ONLY GO UP IN VALUE???

GOOD LUCK AND LET ME KNOW ABOUT WHAT INSURANCE LIKE THAT COSTS???

THE ONLY bobcat THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN RAPED BY INSURANCE COMPANIES!!!

Hey BB

Having had a house destroyed by a tornado last fall, you are only raped by the insurance companies until you need what you have in coverage.

And as one that has a bit of knowledge, I know that a LOT of what insurance pays comes from stupid lawsuits. Insurance companies have liability policies along with others. The cost is really high there in paid benefits. I know a person close to us that had to pay a stupid amount from his company to a thief that got caught up and had to have a finger amputated because he got it stuck in a pay phone while admittedly trying to rob it.

FWIW

Jeff

Hey thanks everyone, I have places to start. A warning, though, I found out that just because you have coverage for the interior of your home (replacement value), that does NOT include such things as firearms or taxidermy; at least my policy does not. I need to get a separate rider for the guns and we're still not quite sure on the taxidermy but like jewelry, if you want to be fully covered, make sure you ask these questions!!

BB- You are so right. How do you replace any mount behind which there is a story? How about a once-in-a-lifetime mount? How do you even PUT a value on something like that?

Geez, and now we're gonna have to figger out pre-USO and post-USO value; in fact, we might as well start figgerin' time based on that as well. For example, next year would be 1 AUSO or 1 PUSO. This year is 1 BUSO.

I can give a different perspective on this. I owned a large Restoration Firm here in Utah, repairing major fire and water damage in houses for 15 years. I also do a fair amount of Taxidermy work so I have seen the issue from those 2 perspectives. I did a large fire and the homeowner had numerous mounts in the house. The insurance company reimbursed the homeowner for the cost to remount the animal, clean the horns/antlers, buy a new cape, or replace (upland birds). I have done insurance replacment costs for animals on this basis. What would it cost to replace a 170 mule deer rack, buy a cape, and have it mounted? This is usually how the reimbursement is figured. Insurance coverage for replacement of items never figures the sentimental value. Weddings pictures can't be replaced.

They never figure you paid $1,000 for the tag, $200 in gas, $2,500 for the guide, $50 for bullets, etc. They just figure that a 170 class buck's antlers cost $125 to replace and $100 for a cape and $xxx to remount it.

I would check with your insurance agent on what the Insurance company will cover and how much. Many times the taxidermy work is figured as personal property and that has certian limits according to your policy. Once the Personal Property loss reaches the covered limit you get no more money. Insuring individual mounts can be costly. I would not do it, unles it was something very valuable and special. Once that Desert Bighorn is burned it really can not be replaced.

Packout,

Thanks for bringing that up!!!! I'm sitting here at my computer with an uninsured 170 full mount desert bighorn staring at me. In a 70 year old all wood house. I looked into insurance a few years ago and didn't follow through. I'll probly wait until I'm sifting ashes. You are right, it can't be replaced.

JB

D13,
I am with you. Hopefully after the fire happens we will still have pictures of what we once thought were our trophies. I don't have the worry of a desert bighorn sitting in the trophy room, only a few 170s mulies, a mountain goat, and a couple 340 bull elk. I would rather have an uninsured Desert Bighorn looking at me, than to not have one at all.

If someone did insure their Desert Bighorn the only reason would be to say it was worth $50,000 so they could go to Mexico and kill another. That kind of insurance would be fairly expensive. And in the case of loosing a house to fire (about .1% chance outside of California's foothills) how many would really take that $50,000 and go to Mexico? I would guess not many. I'll save that $200+ insurance cost each year and go mule deer hunting.

Sifting ashes isn't all bad, just mostly bad.

Photos are mentioned. Which brings up a great point. Even though they can't replace the trophy, pictures are a huge trophy themselves. But they can burn as well.

Since digital cameras came out we keep a copy of all our pics on a website. AT least if we loose everything we should be able to reprint the photos!

Its not much but its a thought. Probably should go back and see if I can do the same somehow with all our early negatives too. Those photos are priceless also.

Jeff

Every time a thread like this comes around, here on M&M or over on the bowsite, I get a little anxiety going on!! I've got quite a few 'Once in a Lifetime' mounts and the normal elk, deer, antelope in the trophy room. I always think about adding the insurance but never have. Maybe it would be worth the $200.00 or so a year (thats less than a resident LE Elk tag here!!) I guess whatever makes a person comfortable would be the best choice for that person.

I'm an insurance agent. My points are general as I dont' know your exact policies or contract language and I'm not advising anyone specifically, but there are several points to consider.

First, your personal property section of your home may only be covered for actual cash value. You need to check your policy and to be sure that you have purchased "replacement cost" coverage. Otherwise your mount would be valued at garage sale value on the open market at the time of the loss. (pictures are valuable to the extent that it is up to you to evidence your loss)

Next, your mount may either be excluded property (never covered) or subject to reduced coverage limitations. Many forms will reduce coverage for anitques, art, curios, collectables and items of increasing value due to their rarity. These items are usually restricted to ACV (actual cash value) rather than replacement cost.

So, what to do? Most companies will allow you to schedule or "float", and insure items seperately. Many of these floating contracts allow you to have an "Agreed Value". A price set for the property that you will be compensated with, without questions asked. What's the right number? The number that you can reasonably demonstrate is the item's value to replace or reproduce. Technically your value in your personal property is that property's A. saleable price or B. the cost to replace it with like kind and quality. One can't be compensated for emotion or distress at the loss of an original. Also in this light companies balk at figures beyond norm for replace and repair because simply put they don't want the insured to have a profit motive where they can "loose" the item, get $ for it, buy a replacement for 50% of the isnured value and have both a mount and cash.

Scheduled items are "usually" not subject to deductibles, can require appraisal or replacement evaluation, and may or may not use agreed value as a replacement method. You need to ask these questions of your agent/company. Understand too that standard replacement conditions of policies say that the co can do what is cheaper; repair, replace or cash you out at THEIR discretion. While a new 170 4x4 mount might be $650, to repair or remake your precise mount may be much higher. If you want to maintain your mount, should enough of it remain after the loss, you need to be sure you have insured to the value to repair/remake it.

Last word on insurance... your guns. Most, not all, home policies have a restriction for loss by theft of firearms. Uusally less than $2000/incident. There are guys in this room with greater replacement value of their collections than the entire coverage inside their personal property section of their home policy. Scheduling guns (should) remove the theft restriction and provide a second limit of insurance so that your PP section of your policy can go to your furniture/wardrobe/tools/house-wares etc. Most large collection owners that don't buy other insurance will never see their collections again after a total fire loss to their homes. They'll burn up the whole PP limit getting the rest of their necessities back and run out long before buying guns.

Sorry, last word.. for real... Your policy is either named or open perils. Scheduling gives you open perils (again usually) That means that unless the policy specifically says a loss isn't covered, it is covered. Named perils lists what's covered; theft, fire, explosion... and if it isn't named it's not covered. So if a mount fell from 14 feet on the wall and busted both antlers, a named perils policy would deny the loss, an open one would cover it. There's no named peril of my stuff fell down.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom