taxidermy prices

nmtaxi

Very Active Member
I haven't adjusted my prices in years, and it's time to do some tweeking. Here are some prices for basic mounts (I won't get into every species).
How do they compare to your area?:
deer - $450
antelope - $400
elk - $750
bear rug - $140 lin.ft.
...and do these sound like reasonable prices for quality taxidermy, with a guaranteed 4 month turn around time?

Unfortunatly:), that's almost exactly what my taxi charges. Actually the only difference is bear he charges $150.

You usually have your deer and elk done within 4 months??

They seem like pretty fair prices to me. The 4 month turn around time is pretty fast too. Faster than most I would think.

that's a little higher than my taxi, but for a 4 month turn around i'd gladly pay the extra money. just got my antelope back yesterday after waiting 9 months.

Thanks guys. This year I got pretty busy, and am just trying to figure a way to better handle the load. Of course this year, I was on crutches through Sept. and Oct., and it got me a little behind. But still, none of my customers waited more than 6 months, and were aware that it would take a little longer because of my condition.
This next year, when something comes in, I'm going to give my customer an actual pick up date. That way, it gives me a hard deadline, and they don't have to always be calling me, wondering when it will done. The first heads I take in will have about a six week turn around, then get a little longer the more I take in. When I get to the point that I can't turn it around in less than 4 months, I'll probably start turning work away.
I know that some people may have a little problem coming up with the money that quick, so I'll make arrangements with them, and we'll work out a completion date together.
Would most of you be comfortable with an arrangement like that?

nmtaxi- That sounds a lot like the deal that I have going with the guy that does my taxidermy. He is pretty small time though, so I have never been nor heard of anyone else being turned away.

He usually requires "enough so I know you'll come back for it later" as a downpayment the first time, then whatever arrangements you make with him on susequent work. It seems to work pretty well for him, but then again he knows most of his clients quite well.

nmtaxi - Do you tan your own hides or send them off? Also, I think you can proceed to increase your pricing structure if you are completing the work within six months. People are willing to pay the premium for quality work with a fast turnaround. If you are able to guarantee the work within a specific time frame make the individual pay half up front (if you don't already). No sense in footing the 100% of the bill for forms, bondo, liqua tan, etc. What do you charge for barbaries, life size bear mounts, and also where are you located?

4 month turn around and $450 for a deer, I am getting ripped off. I turned a deer in November 11th 2002 and am paying close to $700 for a deer and still don't have it back yet. I am also haveing one done in Montana also and he is only $425 plus $75 to be shiped back to WA.

Your prices are right in line with some of the better quality taxis around here (north of Denver). Your turn around time is quicker than most (about 1 year here) and I'd guess most guys would be willing to pay a little more to get their trophy back early. I know I would. My taxi is $450 (deer) and 5-6 months turn around.

Hunt, I tan all my own stuff. The last time I used a tannery, they ruined 4 elk capes. And, since the EPA banned all the good tanning chemicals the tanneries used to use, I feel they don't have much benefit unless somebody is a lot more busy than me. I like controlling everything that comes in and out of my shop.
Craig, you won't know if you're getting ripped or not until you get that head back. There are some great taxidermist that charge more than $700, and you'll get every penny worth. I do not yet have that kind of reputation where I can get away with charging that much.
Babaries would be priced right along with deer, at about $450, and lifesize bears starting at $1600 and up, depending on what the customer wants.
I really appreciate the feedback. I was going to ask this question on a taxidermy website, then thought I'd be better off going to customers and getting their opinion.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom